How do you root Buddleja Davidii?

New Port Richey, FL(Zone 9b)

I have a bush that I'd like to increase.How do you root the cuttings? Step by step please.I'm really rooting challenged. Don

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

The easiest way I know, that every one can do is, take a 2ltr plastic bottle,twest the black bottom off, then cut off the top down the neck to where it is no longer tapered.Find a clay pot, about 6", fill it with a mix of 40% peat(the cheep kind), and 60% sand(the coarse kind), take a cutting, no more than 5" long,strip all but 2 or 3 leaves, from the bottom of the cutting, scar the bottom 1", and dip it in root tone(powder)stick it in the pot with moist sand & peat, then shove the cut out bottle over it.Place this in a shaddy area, and it will condensate, and you won't need to move the bottle until it needs more moisture.Oh, when you are ready to stick your cutting in the mix, use a pincil to pilot the hole, so you won't loose the rooting hormone.Mike

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Here is a page with some great info: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8702.html

I do not see specific info on Buddleja davidii, but my understanding is that this is an easy plant to root.

- Brent

Wimberley, TX(Zone 8a)

Buddlia Davidii ( Butterfly Bush) really is very easy to root. Cut off a piece several inches long, preferably w/o flowers (or cut them off). Remove any lower growth...rule of thumb: 2 leaf nodes-sans the leaves or growth- below the soil & 2 above, WITH the growth. It helps to top off the plant so they'll concentrate on making roots. Keep it evenly moist, in bright light (not direct sun) and you should have a new plant in no time! I've propagated so many of them...they come in handy at the raffles we have each month at our master gardener meetings!
Good luck! Debbie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.