Blackberries bitter?

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

My house came complete with wild blackberries. I'm sure that nothing has ever been done for them, so I'm looking for some advice. The berries are just ripening, but there's a problem. At first taste, they are very good, but the aftertaste is quite bitter. Maybe it's the variety? Or maybe the very dry weather this year? I'm looking for suggestions as to how to get better results next year. Thanks,
Margo

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

I think the dry weather may be the problem catmad. I've noticed that happen to wild blackberries in the UK when its been a dry season.

Also the blackberries here in France have to put up with very hot and dry weather. When eaten raw they taste uninteresting and leave that aftertaste, but they make brilliant jam. Don't know why. The cooking in sugar must bring out the best in them.....

I don't know if this will be the answer with yours

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Thanks philomel :)
I'm just learning to "preserve" stuff, so if I can get enough berries together, I'll give blackberry jelly a shot. This way, if it doesn't work, nothing will really be lost, as they're not any good this way. And if I mess up, I won't feel so badly....
Margo

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

The wild blackberries around me are not good to eat off the bush. Same thing bitter after taste. Doesn't matter what the weather has been.

Do they make good jam CoreHHI?

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I've never tried, tell you the truth they're a weed around here. That might be worth a try to make jam because nothing kills them and very easy to grow. They pop up every year in moist partial shade areas.

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

cadmad:

I agree that it's a water problem. When my grandma lived in the MO Ozarks, it rained every morning during the summer there. Blackberries and dewberries grew wild everywhere. They were always big, juicy, and sweet. Never needed sugar or anything. Same thing when I lived in Portland, OR. Wonderful wild blackberries -- and we all know how much it rains in Portland.

Jelly and jam are very easy to make. Google for a recipe - hundreds will come up.

Karen

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

We picked 5 pints of wild blackberries this weekend and they tasted pretty good. It has been really dry around here as well. We made them into a syrup and had it on vanilla ice cream. But if they taste too sour to you, I'd make jam or jelly as other's have suggested. Usually you put in the berries with a ton of sugar and some pectin. Even the tartest berries taste good with all that sugar.

Jeff

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Hi Jeff,
Yes, that's what I'm going to try. They aren't tart, they're bitter. Unpleasant aftertaste, so if the jelly works, that'll be great. If not, nothing lost but my time, and it will be good practice.
Thanks,
Margo

Good luck, hope it works :)

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Just to update,
Y'all were right on the money:). After three days of rain, the berries taste MUCH better. I think I'll make an effort today to go "down the hill" before the ccritters get them all....
Thanks for the help!
Margo

Tallahassee, FL

the dryer the weather the smaller the fruit, for sweeter berries leave them on the bush till they are completely black and fat

Mantua, UT(Zone 4b)

I wasn't teribly impressed with my Triple Crown Blackberries this year. If you have to PICK them they are too sour. They must fall off in your hand when you touch them to be sweet enough to tolerate. Even at that, the taste was USUALLY blah and disappointing. I thought about pulling them up and planting raspberries. They at least have flavor.

But, in September the taste improved, so I will give them another year.

They get a great recommendation from the birds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.