Passifloras for fruit

LE TAMPON, Reunion (French)

Hi Bedouin,
So I was not far, P.'Inspiration' is a cross of P.incarnata x cincinnata, a polyploid created by Roland Fischer. The McCain does look like a edulis, no sweat...

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

Hey Jacques, I'm delighted to know the 'family' Inspiration came from. Butterfly World has a Trellis Walkway filled with all different types of Passies. I try to find ones that are delightfully fragrant....and a bonus if it fruits! No chance to take a few cuttings though! They even have a Black Pepper vine amongst the P's! I've tried to get the little peppercorns to germinate, but no luck so far! They had an enormous P. Quadrangularis fruit at the top of the trellis a couple of years ago. Wish I'd been able to have a taste of that one! I have one growing but have already demolished one enormous vine as I could not cope with its invasion. But the flowers are so fragrant, I decided to try again. I'd love to find a P. Mollissima (banana flavoured fruit)! and beautiful plink flowers. Bet that one would grow well for you!
Cheers,
Thanks for the info.
Took a photo of P. Lady Margaret vine yesterday - Delighted to see an invasion of Gulf Frittery larvae on it!

Thumbnail by bedouin

Hi Bedouin,
To me the fruit of P.quadrangularis (not Q, the capital is always on the genus name like Passiflora, the species always starts with a lower case) is the best of all passionfruits but you have to wait until it looks like you want to throw it away, I mean the outer rind must become real soft and ugly before the inside is fully ripe. We do have P. mollissima here but the fruit is not worth it (to my taste) and it is an agressive invader, classified as major pest on Hawai.
Lady Margret is real nice, I did produce an hybrid with the same cross (P.coccinea x incarnata) but name it 'Cannelle' from my daughter.
JJ

You hybridize? For beauty? For Fruit flavour? For fun????? Cross-pollination by hand? Cells?
I use my finger when cross-pollinating for the Gloriosa Lily vines. Too lazy to hunt for the paintbrush!!! :)

I hybridize for fun and beauty as well as for the beauty of fun;)) Yes, I do finger-pollination too it works just fine and I like to have some pollen still on my fingers, I just lick it off which I would of course never do with Gloriosa knowing how poisonous the tubers are.

Many of the plants in my garden are in the realm of 'toxic'! Perhaps I should say 'most'! The butterfly larvae love all of my Passionfruit, Aristolochia & Wild Lime leaves and the toxic shrubs' flowers are heaven to the beautiful butterflies, nectar-wise! Yes, the Gloriosa Lily vine is amonst the most deadly as is my beautiful bright pink, fragrant Oleander shrub.
I did a search for poisonous plants in south Florida;
Top Tropicals has some good pics of a few of them:
http://www.toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/garden_catalog/cat.cgi
A long list of poisonous plants: http://www.diylife.com/2008/03/07/avant-yard-poisonous-plants-101/

Thumbnail by bedouin

Actually there are so many toxic plants it is a wonder people don't die more often! But maybe people don't have this stupid habit of mine to taste leaves and flowers...though I am being more cautious since I had some Euphorbia milk on th lips which burned for hours on! Anyway, one of my forth coming article for DG is on poisonous plants, there may be some you don't already grow!
All the best
PS; do you know there is one Passiflora species with toxic fruit? P.morifolia.

I needed another pair of hands so used my mouth while working with an elephant ear plant!!! Swollen throat as a result. Certainly woke me up very quickly! Now I use 'string' when I need help! My DH is good at many things, but helping me in the garden is not one of them! Hence the string, clips, strips of plastic shopping bags...anything that will give me a hand now and then!
I did a search on P. Morifolia. Ok looking flower but weird fruit plulp! I dont recall seeing it growing anywhere here. Maybe for good reason, right!
Off topic: there is a rather large lake a few blocks from where we live. 2 days a year the toads fill the roads, lawns, driveways etc hopping to get the the lake. We are talking of hundreds, maybe even more! Their croaking is so loud one has to speak VERY loudly to be heard. 3 nights ago we heard the first sign of the Spring Mating Ritual, right by our pond. Out came the torch and the camera. He was faster than I was then, but last night I was able to get a pic of him. He is Huge, very Loud.......well, this morning I found He was a Her.....lots of eggs in the pond. We've been checking the lake since hearing this Mommy so we dont miss the annual Toad Chorus! I know you dont celebrate the horrible tradition of Halloween, but the croaking is absolutely spooky, would fit into the Halloween tradition very well! (Halloween is in Autumn).
A pic of the Toad Mommy

Thumbnail by bedouin

This mornings surprise of many Toad Eggs in my pond

Thumbnail by bedouin
Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Hey Phil.........found any door mice lately?

"eyes"

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Passion flower flavica Fruit i have a small net around it Paul

Thumbnail by phicks
Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

"eyes" how are you?? Great to see you!!
There aren't any dormice where I've moved to in France :(
........but there are lots of other interesting things :)
Hope you're doing OK

Hi Phicks,
Why do you use a net? To hold the fruit? I find the mottling strange, are you sure this is flavicarpa or an hybrid?
JJ

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

The Seeds Was Sold to me as Flavicarpa the fruit wieghs about 12 oz right now ill post a pic of the flower to

Thumbnail by phicks
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

The Nets Just in case the Fruit drops off just thought id say i allways leave some of the pulp on the seeds i belive it keeps the seeds fresh plus helps the seeds sprout a lot faster also Paul

Marciac, France(Zone 7a)

Hi Philomel!

How did the Edulis seeds do? Have you got any plants yet? I'm curious as I have been looking to grow Edulis too as the "ornamental" ones don't have much to get your teeth into (more like lots to get into your teeth!!) :-)

Nice to see you the other day - how time flies in the summer with all the gardening to do, no time to get onto DG! With the wet summer here the grass just kept on growing, no two-month rest this year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.