Inexpensive Bananas

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Okay a lot of you know I work at the home depot in annapolis on 450 across from Westfield Mall, we have lots of bananas there, dwarf cavendish, Chinese yellow and basjoo. My boss wants to get rid of them fast because there are so many and they didnt sell very fast at all. We have quite a few that dont look good at all but will come back with some tlc and others that look ok. Heres the deal....
They are on sale for 2.49 and if you buy one you get one free. You have to go to the cashier thru the garden dept to get that price and I will be there thru sunday from 9-2. Ive told the cashiers about it but I would like to make sure if any of you are interested to be there while I am so I can make sure you get that deal. A plus for me is I would get to meet you!
Janet

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

wow- tempting....but time and $ still tight! next credit card cycle please!

Boerne new zone 30, TX(Zone 8b)

I wish I lived near you.... I can hardly ever find bananas here at HD

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL Sally I totally understand that one, for me right now its a matter of space, I dont have any.

renatelynne, Im surprised they dont have them, maybe its because the company I work for is actually a vendor at the HD so they bring in what they want.

boy, in another life stage I'd be tempted to get them, nurse back to health then try to resell at flea market..........

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

You know, I had considered that but space and time at my house are at a premium.
Today I had planned on digging up a hosta in the front yard to give to a friend of mine and when I went into the backyard just to get the shovel, I ended up planting 5 other hosta I have, an unknown banana Ive had for years and dug up numerous roots that were in my way from trees. After that I took a shower because I didnt have the energy to go back to the front yard to dig up the hosta, LOL. I still have to wash my work clothes so I dont smell like I played in a pic pen and look like it too but, Im sitting here resting my poor body.

sounds familiar! I'm so ADD in the yard, esp with these new items. I messed inthe garden the other morning, was trying to round kids up for indoor pool, but wasn't happening, then a friend called and told me a new California Tortilla opened in Riva shopping center, giving away free burritos!! so decided to go sweaty/stinky(hope not TOO) with two kids to get the freebies. didn't get around to shower til bedtime...

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

lol - I've got a lot going on this weekend, but I might try to get over there on Sunday morning. Thanks so much for posting the info., Dravencat.

On a side note, I'm noticing a whole bunch of passiflora volunteers in my backyard which I'm going to have to remove. I believe that they are maypops. Anyone interested in my leavin's?

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

MEMEMEMEMEME! Um did I say me? I tried starting them from seed and had no luck but that was years ago. If you come in Sunday I would love to have a few if you dont mind.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Okay, Draven. I'll put your name on some. In case I do not get to HD, do you ever make your way out to the College Park area?

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Once in a great while but I can make a special trip on tues or wed next week, those are my two days off.

Boerne new zone 30, TX(Zone 8b)

i would love to have some but i live a long way away

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Wrightie: If you go, just if, will you please pick up some Basjoo for me? I just killed one I traded for (actually, that's not true -- it arrived with a mortal slice in its neck). Many thanks! And if you don't go, well, that is one less Basjoo for me to murder.

Are the dwarf cavendish or Chinese yellow hardy? I know Critterologist moves her bananas indoors of the winter, but we don't have the space . . ..

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

[note to self: write down whatever Happy just said cuz I'm nana-ignorant]

Roger that, Happy. I will try to carry out the above mission seamlessly.

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Dwarf Cavendish are NOT winter hardy. The Chinese yellow are said to be hardy but I need to check on that.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Janet, are there any Musa basjoo left? It's a long story (and getting longer), but I'll be spending a lot of time in Pasadena, MD this summer, and my friend down there has a perfect spot for bananas.
Mike

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Mike I'll check when I go in tomorrow.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Well, I spent the entire day staining that HUGE deck and still did not finish the job, so I most certainly did not make it to Annapolis. Poo. However, I did get a visit from Happy and "HappyHubbie," so it was a most delightful day in spite of Yes, I'm Having No Bananas...

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

And I can attest that the deck looks great.

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL, At least your deck looks good.

Mike I checked what was left and as far as I can tell the only thing left are dwarf cavendish and super dwarf.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh well, thanks for checking. I should have asked sooner, I guess.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm sure not going to make it to Annapolis this week, LOL... but I have got to get my paws on a Dwarf Cavindish or Dwarf Orinocco one of these days! I ordered one when I got my other bananas from Wellspring, figured I wanted one dwarf that I could overwinter in a pot and maybe actually get fruit from one day... well, that plant was mislabeled! It grew taller than any of the others, got absolutely huge its first summer... it might be an Orinocco, but it's so definitely not a dwarf!

Maybe I'll put in another order with Wellspring this fall. It was fun growing those little baby bananas over their first winter... Last winter, they went into the basement, semi-dormant and they tried to grow their leaves up through the rafters! I'm not sure how I'll overwinter them this year. I might give up on getting fruit from them altogether and just cut them down so I can dig and store the corms for planting next spring.... we'll see. Hope springs etermal and all that, and I'm not quite ready to concede defeat about getting fruit from them. 'Ice Cream Banana' and 'Apple Banana' just sound tooooo delish!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Late checking into this thread...but just an FYI if anyone visits the Pottery in Williamsburg....Becky and I each got one last fall for a great price...so great I dont' remember it. Here's mine in the 10" pot from last fall.

Thumbnail by Chantell

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.