Flowering cabbage

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I know this isn't really winter sowing - but it's the same principle (I think). I don't have anyplace in my garden to start these, but could I start them now - just like I was winter sowing them? Or is it too late? does anyone know how long it takes these cabbages to grow? I know the night temperature has to drop below 50 degrees - so sometime in mid-September?

So - should I start them now or did I waste my money. (I understand the most veggie seeds don't keep - has any one kept these seeds before?)

Thanks
Michaela

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I have started them now (early July actually) and the Cabbage White butterflies (the caterpillars) ate them all. Holes everywhere. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you have some plan for these guys.

Oh, and cabbages prefer cool nights below 70 if you can swing it. I do not think they would be happy in a covered container because it would be too hot, but its just a guess; I have never tried it.

Suzy

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I've never tried them, but couldn't you just put in the fridge?

Karen

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Michaela, have you been watching Tomtom's thread again? Tsk tsk tsk!

xxxx,Carrie

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Carrie - you are far too clever for me - I have no idea what you are referring to . . .lol

Michaela

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

M, it's not cleverness, it's that I forgot to include the link.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/706215/

xx, C

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow - those are great flowering cabbages. I found out they are supposed to be sown in July:-)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Michaela,

Where'd you get them? I like to try them if they come out like Tomtom's. Hers are like this except she lets them droop like a hanging plant.

xx, Carrie

I grew them last year and they sort of lean and bow over on their own (or maybe it's just because I don't really have full-full sun.) In a garden setting I would rate them (as I grew them last year) as 1 or 2 on a scale of 1-10. They really weren't attractive and I'm giving the space over to mums this year. TomTom's are unbelievable, and I couldn't do that if I tried, but in a pot is where I would place these if I ever tried again.

Suzy

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I bought the seed 1/2 price from T & M. As Suzy has pointed out on another thread- their seed sale continues until July 1.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Michaela I'm glad you started this thread. In my seed buying frenzy last winter I bought 2 different kinds of kale/cabbage seeds and had since completely forgot about them. Now if I can just figure out where I put them I'll be all set.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

You're welcome :-)

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Okay - well, I didn't grow the cabbage in full sun, so they are still pretty small - I have moved their pots to where they will get more sunshine - any idea when I should actually plant them out?

I'm not one to ask because nothing grows as well for me in pots as it does in the ground. Maybe cane begonias, but that's about it. I am pot challenged, so I'd say if they have 2 sets of leaves, and you can give them full sun, then set them out.

Hopefully someone else can answer.

Suzy

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh - they are way past the two leaf stage - Okay. Plant them out I will. :-)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Sea - (if i may) -

What do they look like now? (intellectual curiosity.)

x, C

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, they range from about 2 inches tall to 6 inches tall. Most are about 4 inches and have several long leaves - but they don't exactly look like cabbages yet! I have planted 42 of them aroung the edge of the back garden, and I am hoping that with cooler weather, they will continue to grow and eventually turn colour. I am absolutely swamped, but I will try to get a photo - perhaps on Sunday.

You know that Flowering Cabbage is different than ornamental cabbage, right? That flowering cabbage looks like long stems with a flower on top, and doesn't look like a cabbage? (I'm going by the subject line, I forget which you actually had.)

Did you get any of those little butterfly caterpillars eating the leaves?

Suzy

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh! I didn't know that!

I had the plants under netting until two days ago - so not caterpillars yet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.