Eat what you grow!

Boerne new zone 30, TX(Zone 8b)

and she grows good veggies! I know.. I've been enjoying eating them!

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
But I throw zucchini in every door not guarded by a shotgun.

Farmer, I've found that lots of people leave their windows rolled down in Wal Mart's parking lot! ☺

Thumbnail by Big_Red

I wish summer (yellow) squash grew as well as zucchini. For some reason I like the flavor a little better.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Throw them this way, we ran out about 45 minutes into market. They must be under 8" long though.
We have good crop of summer squash. We planted Sunray this year. It is very nice.

Bernie

Raeford, NC

What is Kohlrabi? I see people talking about it but have no idea what it is.Deanna

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/subcategory.aspx?category=1&subcategory=31
Very popular as a snack food eaten raw.
We sold out in short time at Thursday market.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Kohlrabi- Just a turnip with a PhD. Actually my yellow crooknecks outyield most of the zukes. Only zuke that has outproduced the Medallion is Cue Ball. I have about run out of places to dispose of both this year. Bumper crop of summer squash despite the drought. Galia melons are my earliest this year. This is Arava

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
New Braunfels, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks renate - you can come by anytime and get whatever I happen to have growing - there's always something! :-)

I didn't get zucchini growing this spring. I'm starting some this weekend for indian summer. I like it sauteed with garlic & olive oil. Yum!

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

deanna, kohlrabi is a staple in German and Kashmiri cuisine. My mom and aunts love it. I've never developed a taste for the ball portion, but I like the greens on it.

Raeford, NC

Thanks I looked it up. If it is like a turnip I probably won't like it. Deanna

deanna, I find that most turnips have a sharper flavour then kohlrabi. My mom loves kohlrabi but hates turnips. You might trying buying one kohlrabi at the local market to try Then you'll know before you've committed garden space to it..

This message was edited Jul 1, 2007 8:27 PM

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We, most of the time have cut up kohlrabi for people to try. Sells lots of kohlrabi.

It's certainly popular with the school kids when we take them on a farm tour.

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

"But I throw zucchini in every door not guarded by a shotgun." - Farmerdill

Me too. I've only got six zucchini plants, a mole undermined one and it has some yellow leaves, and my wife is hoping the mole will kill 'em all.

I SWEAR we could feed Africa by giving every person over there a pack of zucchini seeds. I wonder if anybody's ever thought of that?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

So I guess I should start leaving my car windows open when I park in front of WalMart? I've had such bad problems with squash vine borers that I've about given up on growing my own zucchini. I actually pay for it at the farmer's market! LOL

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

critterologist - I hope that because of my gardening there won't be three-eyeballed alligators hatched in Florida, birds won't drop out of the sky and go the way of the Dodo, and the Spotted Owl will never trouble loggers again. I really do, and I think my chemicals are pretty harmless compared to those of my grandpa. (wish I had a nickel for every gallon of DDT he sprayed)

Nevertheless, I think liquid Sevin is a wonderful thing. lol

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm not opposed to using a "big gun" on pests when nothing else works and I'm not getting any goodies to harvest... Are you saying that Sevin will work on squash vine borers? I thought that since they tunneled inside the vine there were no easy remedies (although I've heard of people cutting them out). Do tell! :-)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Easy to cut out. When you see a little "sawdust" pile. Take your knife, slit along the stem where the sawdust is coming out. You will find a grub there. Take him out, then pile soil up around the stem to above where you cut. Done!
Bernie

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

critterologist - "Are you saying that Sevin will work on squash vine borers?"

I don't know about them specifically. Maybe spraying early the way I'm doing it gets them before they get inside the vine? I grow squash, cucumbers, and melons, and I don't have a problem with borers - which I believe would attack all those.

I try to go easy with the spray, and I'm careful not to spray lady bugs or plants where bees are working. Every year, a couple of weeks after I plant seeds and transplant tomatoes, I start seeing bugs. The tomatoes get aphids and flea beetles, small plants get attacked by cutworms, and it seems like all the insect kingdom turns out for a free lunch.

At that point, I spray everything with liquid Sevin including the ground around the young plants. It may be the early spraying that prevents borers later on in the squash, cukes, and melons.

After that, my spraying is limited to frequently dosing the corn silks to prevent earworms - and while I'm doing that I'll spray anything else that I see is having a specific problem.

You mentioned in the other thread that your tomatillo fruits were full of worms. I've noticed little yellow-with-black-spots beetles that love to eat tomatillo leaves before the plants start blooming - so I zap them. I've never had worms in the fruits, so I wonder if those worms might be the early stage of those yellow-and-black guys - IF they're allowed to lay eggs?

Raeford, NC

Is the tomatilla listed in the plant files? I looked but did not see it.I Wanted some info on it.It may be there and I overlooked it. Am trying to figure out for next year and everytime I hear someone mention certain tomatoes I write it down and look it up.Can any one tell me tomatoes that are developed for this area?Probably any good southern tomato. I know Better Boy and Big boy grows well here.I guess something other than just going to HD etc and buying what they have. One that you know your Grandady or whoever grew for the last 100 years and is good for this area.You get my drift. Thanks Deanna

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Deanna, I think you'll get better and more responses to your question about good tomatoes for the south if you post a new thread about it.

Oz, those sound like bean beetles, which aren't a major pest for me most years. I'm guessing that squash vine borers and whatever ate my tomatillos are just worse in some areas than in others... I have neighbors that don't get either pest, so maybe there's something in my yard and garden that makes conditions better for them... I'll have to think about that. Because I don't spray a lot of chemicals, I get a lot of "good" bugs that often keep the "bad" ones in check... you wouldn't believe how many assassin bugs and wheelbugs and praying mantises I see out in the garden, in addition to lady bugs.

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

critterologist wrote;"... I have neighbors that don't get either pest, so maybe there's something in my yard and garden that makes conditions better for them... "

Are you sure there aren't a bunch of little teeny signs that are strategically placed aroundthe neighborhood ? Something like "This way to the Free Buffet----->" :)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

ROFLOL!

It sure feels that way sometimes!

I harvested all my garlic early because of the sopping wet weather here was causing it to rot and burst open. I pickled half and froze the other half. This is how I amused myself on the 4th of July :-)

I'm hopping to make pickled HOT garlic this season. My boyfriend loves it and I have bought it before in Fredricksburg but I want to see if I can make him some.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Pickled hot garlic would sure make me hop! (Sorry, can't resist a good typo.)

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Stuffed Patty Pan Squash. Sauteed Spinach with Garlic. Homemade Mixed Mater Salsa.
Icebox Pickles with Red Onions. Spinach & Basil Salad.

Waiting for the eggplant and peppers.

BB

I LOVE eggplant... but no one else that I cook for does.

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

Eggplant, sliced, breaded, and fried = GOOD.

I'm a little allergic to the things. While I'm eating them, the lips and tongue swell and itch - and it's worth it! lol

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

July has arrived. Peas, butterbeans and melons. This is Antalya. The Galia are way ahead of regular cantaloupes this year.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Man, those look delicious Farmer!

Red

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

They are. I am a charter member of the Galia melon fan club.

Work snack - Organic Edamame in shell (lightly boiled/salted) - yum!
Good thing I'm a gardener because I couldn't afford to buy this stuff at the HFS! :-)

Thumbnail by VEGGIEHAPPY
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Tonight we're eating yellow squash, zuchinni, onions, collard greens and green beans. I also cut up some yellow and green peppers into some cole slaw. Yum!!

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i feel terrible, all i have this year are tomatoes and hot peppers. next yer will go back to my eggplantsand hopefull bush beans.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Longship

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

Today's harvest meal was:
Yellow Crookneck Squash
Shallots
Garlic
Thai Lemon Basil

I sauteed it all in Olive Oil, with salt and black pepper, a little white wine, and then served over pasta, with a sprinking of parmesan.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Now was it Thai basil or lemon basil.
Some white taters got cut by the digger this morning, so I sliced them thin & fried them in butter for supper tonight.

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

Our supper was from the garden, but more regional to this area, I guess.

Green beans, picked this morning and boiled with salt pork and onions.
Fresh sliced tomatoes (Big Beef).
Cucumbers and onions in ice water and vinegar.
Sliced zucchini fried in olive oil.
Homemade garlic bread.
Wild blackberry cobbler pie.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.