Time to start the ugly thread!

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

(and waving) LOL

East Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Montana Sky -- This is it's 2nd or 3rd bloom. All have looked the same :-(

Thumbnail by Lulabelle1
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I've had a few mottled blooms, but i figured it was from water getting on the flowers. We have very "hard" water here.

I was telling pirl, (my "mentoress") that I spent an entire day re-doing sprinkler heads to the flat horizontal spray types...that seems to have helped enormously...keeping water off the blooms seemed to make a huge difference, even though I never water overhead. The new heads don't get any water on the buds or the flowers.

I did a little experiment and picked one Russian Raphsody bloom and put it in a glass of water. Then I put ONE drop of water on a petal and 30 minutes later, there was a white spot...like I had put bleach on it.

Just wondering if anyone else experiences the spotting/bleaching problem.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I notice the spotting especially on the dark red and purple blooms and especially after it has rained. I hand water everything and try to avoid getting the buds wet if I can.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

A few years ago I watched as every other day as Becky Lynn's blooms looked eaten and I blamed the earwigs. It was the watering system. I changed to misting heads instead of jet streams (or whatever they're called) and now I don't have the problem. I'm not about to do it to the entire property but it's good to know what causes the spotting. Just changing the time the zones go on for where daylilies are planted would go a long way to preventing the spotting problem.

Thanks for the test, JD! You did good!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

We have a lot of chlorine in our water so I am sure it causes spotting.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This one is sure to win the ugly contest! I have no clue how this unknown crept into my garden!

Thumbnail by marea
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Marea...I had that exact same one...I bought it at Lowes, where it was packaged as "Ribbon Candy", complete with a glossy photo showing it to be brilliant pink and white.

Try Clorox.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Looks like Howdy (AKA Magic Dawn)

Thumbnail by Moby
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I have never seen a daylily this ugly. It is a 2005 seedling cross of Alice Lambertson X Destined to See. I have 6 plants and this was the only ugly one. It rained this AM plus this is FFO. You may notice that even the eye on "Destined to See", has cataract spots. Just can't wait to see how beautiful the next bloom is. LOL

Thumbnail by se_eds
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Ok ~ I'm naming mine "Howdy Lowe's Clorox Dawn' LOL

se-eds ~ trade ya!

(Zone 5b)

se_eds-
that looks like it has potential, actually!
You people crack me up. I have had 3- count em three- blooms so far this year. None of them on scapes over 6" high, and one was only about 2" high yesterday...none qualify for this thread, though, but I'll post in another. Keep the uglies coming! (a thread like this was slammed over you-know-where, so never got to see any uglies).

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

birdsnblooms - I thought it was so ugly I'd keep it to laugh at when I went by. Ordinarily I just cut them out of the ground.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

These won't win the ugliest of uglies contest, but I sure am having a hard time getting Art Gallery Deco to give me a decent looking bloom.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

I have some trouble with that one too, Susan. Jacki Kropf wasn't so ugly today as just a bit deformed.

Thumbnail by gingerjar
Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

FFO on Abba Dabba Doo looks like it got drug thru the hot nickle factory.

Thumbnail by Dravencat
La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Looks like it needs an extra dab of doo. Janet!

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

HAH. Thats a hoot Don

Excelsior, MN(Zone 4a)

Per chance did anyone ever see that old Todd Brown movie from the 1930's called 'Freaks'? (It was banned from the U.S. for many, many years.) Anyway, that's what some of these "uglies" remind me of. LOL!!!

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I have many Yabba Dadda Doo seedlings and most are very badly splotched,streaked on their first blooms. These are mostly on 2006 ( 1 yr. old seedlings) but they do clear up.

Also had a series of seedling crosses last year like Blue Eyed Curls X Jolly Red Giant that were double ugly to start out. Did not photo them this year as I am looking at plant form on this yr to see if I want to save 1.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I think this Passion District needs to be raided and cleaned up by the CDC.

Thumbnail by Moby
La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Either too much or not enough passion!

Excelsior, MN(Zone 4a)

Looks like she needs to turn off the red light for awhile and get some rest! LOL!!!

Funny!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

OK...stupid question here from a newbie hemhead:

The "entries" in this thread...are the ALWAYS "ugly", or are they just considered such at this particular time of year? (Be it due to weather, insect damage, "newness" of the plant, or whatever...???) .

If they have the label of "ugly", do you all give them another chance or yank them out, or are some of them just consistently "ugly" ?

Just wondering...

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

And I have a question about the 'uglies' too. I have just started with daylilies the past year or so. A lot of the dayliles I have bought on sales here as 2 fans. So they were, of course, small. For some of mine this is the first year to bloom. Is it normal to see quite a few 'uglies' on these newer plants since they are so young? How long does it take for them to 'kick in' and get with the program? How long before you get a clump out of these newbies, on average? I know they all increase at different rates. But what would be a good rule of thumb for average clump size?
Thanks,
Sherry

Excelsior, MN(Zone 4a)

JasperDale: No, the entries on this thread are usually quite beautiful. We just have fun showing each other our "uglies" (I think it keeps us 'humble' LOL!) You just never know what nature is going to throw you.

Sherrygirl: When you order double fans, if at all possible, try to get 'blooming size' doubles as a good start. Depending on the rate of increase, I would say that 3 years is the average time to form a clump. And, yes, oftentimes the first few blooms (FFO) are pretty 'warped' (and pretty funny for this particular thread)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I've noticed a few daylilies seem more prone to having a few uglies than others. Art Gallery Deco is one of those. It did shape up for me last year and gave me some very nice blooms after the first ones. Other daylilies like Bill Norris and America's Most Wanted have never given me anything but perfect blooms. I have never had a registered one that I've gotten rid of because of uglies. I have gotten rid of a few seedlings that I decided there was just no hope for.

I agree with Sybiltwo and Lincolnitess. The grand opening is often a flop but probably not with that many cultivars. 'Silver Potentate' and 'Madonna's Smile' have consistently been "like ugly on an ape" for the many years I've had them.

Sherrygirl - Once again Sybiltwo is right: three years would be average. For the clumps that have given us over 1,000 flowers a season it can be five years or more but they do stop traffic.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Looks like Sizziling Hot sizzled too long !

Thumbnail by IRIS
Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Yep.. Part of the reason we label blooms FFO (first flower open) is because we are excited but also because sometimes they aren't quite what they are supposed to be.. sometimes a cool morning will mess up a blooms opening..sometimes bugs or water will mar the bloom. They usually shape up after a while.. I have given one plant up to three years to get it's act together. Your patience depends on how much room you have

You're right, Jazz. It also depends on placement. Those who have our "prime real estate" spots have to perform or they go to more secluded areas, then to the dump.

(Zone 5b)

Jasper/Sherry: for reference, I nearly yanked out Lavender Illusion its first two years. As far as I was concerned, its name was "Lavender Splotch." Coloring was very much like the posts above of Yabba Dabba Doo, and Chicago Two Bits. She finally shaped up in year 3 (last year). Here she is with Brocaded Gown last season:

Thumbnail by birdsnblooms
Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

argh..I still haven't been able to compost a daylily but I would definately try to find a new home for it

Oh defiantely a keeper blooms!

This message was edited Jun 27, 2007 8:40 AM

I just give them away, Jazz. Some people couldn't care less about names and just want that "splash of color" - I do hate that phrase.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

lol..that's cause they are your babies..

(Zone 5b)

I couldn't compost them, either...I either trade them away, or I have a spot in the yard that I dump things I'm either not sure of, Winter Sown containers that didn't germinate, or ditch lilies. Someday, I anticipate the area will be a nice little wild-flower space. For now, though, it can use the 'fill,' so EVERYTHING goes over there...rocks, weeds, dirt, leaves, etc. Other than the rocks, it's pretty much just a cold compost heap. That works, too.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

I couldn't compost daylily either! I would surely give it away first!
birdsnblooms, I had Lavender Illusion in the North and always loved the flower, Very nice picture of the one you posted!

.........and some that aren't my babies, Jazz. Some, from big growers, are not at all what they were portrayed to be and simply have to leave the property so I don't dwell on it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.