Time to start the ugly thread!

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

When I saw the first bloom on Madonna's Smile, I decided it's time to get the ugly thread started.

Thumbnail by gingerjar
La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Chartered Course today is another candidate.

Thumbnail by gingerjar
Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

I'm sorry, I've given it several chances, but even
though it smells absolutely divine, Enchantingly Beautiful
constantly looks like it has been through a rainstorm.

It is blotchy, smeary, fluctuates in color in a messy fashion
and the petals seem too big for the plant itself. I love big blooms,
but this one seems to be trying on pants it can't wear.

Nothing personal for the hybridizer, but this one would not
have been registered if it were up to me.

(ouch, did I say that out loud?)

My apologies, but it's the truth as I see it. I notice Dave's does not have
an image of E.B., but I have never been able to capture a nice picture
of it.

Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

This was the FFO on Tooth. It has since opened better.

Thumbnail by floweringchild
Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

Real Wind has been trying to open for a week, but no bloom has opened correctly yet.

Excelsior, MN(Zone 4a)

ROFLOL!!! This is always my favorite thread each year. I actually look forward to it.

Huntington, WV(Zone 6a)

Early Messenger not only wasn't early, but I don't think I liked its message.

Thumbnail by gdionelli
Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL! .....hmm.............I like REAL WIND, and I think it is purdy! You guys, picking on defenseless daylilies........LOL ....I would probably pick em off and not tell anyone! That's what I do with ugly roses!

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

I can't even bear to GIVE them away.

"Eww, what is that ugly thing."

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

ROFTLOL!!!! WUVIE!!!

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Tooth looks like it must have had a toothache,and Real Wind looks like a little gremlin. Please don't be offended, flowering child. This is what we do on this thread.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Here my ugly dog. Tripped me out when I saw it. it's a single white with just a touch of faint pruple on the edges. The rest of the bloosm opened normal, but woudl have been kind a neat in a way if they had all turned out like this.

Thumbnail by starlight1153
Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

Several of my daylilies had blotches on the first bloom.

Charlie Pierce Memorial

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

That is very unusual for Real Wind to open like that. Mine always opens perfectly.

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

Ohhh, Gingerjar- I quit!

How can we compete with THAT!?! LOL!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I look forward to this thread every year, too, sybiltwo! And my Madonna's Smile is just as ugly when it opens as gingerjar's is. hemlady and I both seem to have ideal Real Wind plants and it has never given me an ugly moment but a friend in B.C. recently commented that her RW is also an ugly opener.

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

I think Royal Celebration must have celebrated a little too royally last night.
Yuk!

This message was edited Jun 15, 2007 12:11 PM

Thumbnail by gingerjar
Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

I've never a Daylily with a hangover before. But I think I have now. =)

Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

I have two Real Winds in separate locations. None of the blooms have opened right yet. Today's bloom was almost open like it should. I've had them for 5 years, so it is not a new one. It always opened okay until this year. I think the late freeze and the heat and drought are ALL responsible.

Hey Pirl, haven't seen you for a while. Are you doing okay??

Excelsior, MN(Zone 4a)

Looks like the 'Royal Celebration' moved it's party out into the alley on Skid Row.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Well, I'll toss this one in. It's not so much ugly as it is an
oddity. A Rocket City with a serious problem.

See anything wrong here? LOL

Thumbnail by WUVIE
Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Three pistils?

Love the colors of that one, Wuvie! Three pistils - no waiting!

I'm doing fine, floweringchild, just busy as can be. Thanks for asking.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

You could be right Floweringchild about the weather affecting the bloom. Now I am wondering if mine will do the same thing. We had wierd weather too.

We shared the strange weather. Now all of us who have Real Wind will be checking the blooms.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Don are you sure you didn't throw a little acid on Royal Celebration? That poor baby is really messed up. I should have taken a photo of this bud on Terry Lyniger before it opened. It was the strangest bud I've ever seen. The bloom is ugly, but not nearly as bad as I expected.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Poland, ME

Isn't it nice to know that I am not the only person who gets a few doggy looking blooms?

Uglies attack all of us to make us appreciate the beauties, I'm sure of it.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

This thread cracked me up - nice for a good laugh this morning. Thanks all.

Steve

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I can see how Pretzel Power got it's name!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Yep, that's ugly.

Thought I was going to have a nice poly to show but this Jedi Dot Pierce looks like it got hit with a hot light saber.

Thumbnail by Moby
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

My FFO on Galaxy Explosion certainly qualifies for this thread! Looks more like a meteor hit it!

Thumbnail by Badseed
Loris, SC

Oh my these are sad. I'm really dissappointed in Pretzal Power. I purchased Citrix Stamile 06 on the LA and when I received my box it had PP & Morning Colors in it. I was so disappointed that I didn't have the one I paid for, he said he'd send it once he gets back from vacation so hopefully he will. Please post if you get better blooms.

Excelsior, MN(Zone 4a)

Good Lord, Lincolnitess! I think your Pretzel Power is about as pitiful as they come! (It reminds me of the winner of the Ugly Dog contest)

Edited to add link: http://www.sonoma-marinfair.org/uglydogvote.shtml

This message was edited Jun 19, 2007 6:45 PM

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

Ohhhh! That's just wrong! very funny but wrong! I'm not laughing too hard tho, I've had ugly roses this year!

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

poor dog

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I've been trying to remember if I bought Pretzel Power or if it was a bonus. Sure hope I didn't pay for it and also glad I planted way, way back in the back of the garden.

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

I 've had Pretzel Power since 2005. It didn't scape last year. This year the scape just shriveled up- couldn't even get a picture for the ugly thread. What a plant!!!

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

Oh Thank You for the ugly dog site- I've just had the best laugh reading what the moms wrote!
Royal Celebration's got my vote for ugliest flower. Tho Madonna's Smile's leer is pretty close.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Pretzel Power also has an ugly bud. No wonder it ends up so twisted! Maybe it will grow on me or maybe I will just take pity on it and tell it I think it's beautiful.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.