Lets see those large leaved plants....

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

#2 might be Alocasia 'Hilo Beauty' ? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/87041/

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

yardqueen i love thos elephant ears. if only they were for zone 5.... dratit. i would have to dig them ever fall and store them in a warmer climate than outside!!!! but i love looking at the warmer tropical plants on line. Ronna thanks for the photos.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the ID on the elephant ears. I'll have to buy them in the spring though. Everyone seems out of them right now.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here is my new Ligularia 'Brit Marie' Hope it is not too shady a spot as the leaves should get almost black . The mirror behind it will aim a bit of light at it.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2007 6:37 PM

Thumbnail by fancyvan
West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I finally got my Ligularia japonica pics downloaded so I can share. I just planted this last year, and it is already over 3' high and wide.

Thumbnail by marie_

And here is a L. japonica blossom and buds pic. The bloom stalks rise at least a foot above the leaves. I just love it.

Thumbnail by marie_
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

i absolutly love the ligularas!!!! and want to get both of them .... if only i had more yard. i think i want to make the whole side yard only ligularas... sounds like a plan to me . all the large leaf plants are awsome. Ronna

I have a Brit Marie that is several years old and did great for a couple of years, and since then it just gets smaller every year. A very knowledgeable plant person recommended a different cultivar that is similar to Brit Marie but performs better. And wouldn't you know it......I can't remember which one it was.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

marie, beautiful and healthy! Ligularia japonica. My plant is 4 years old and half the size of yours?? Do you have yours planted in sun or shade - maybe it's too shady where I have mine planted?

Mine gets a great deal of shade. It's shaded by both an enormous, old white pine as well as a handful of oaks. They like a lot of water.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

gardenlady, there are at least 6 ligularias and that many farfugiums too. You don't have to stop at 2. :-)
The japonica is lovely.

Has anyone been able to think of which ligularia is similar to the Brit Marie but an improvement. If my Brit Marie keeps dwindling, it probably won't be here next Spring. It looks reasonably healthy, but it's about 1/5 th the size it was 3 years ago.

Olympia, WA

I just came stumbling in and fully expected to see Gunnera presented. May I share mine?

Thumbnail by wannadanc
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

What a happy photo. Gunnera was very much missed, wasn't it? Wonder how that happened. Talk about one happy gardener!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow now thats a large leafed plant!!!! Thanks for posting... Ronna

I planted a Gunnera last year, and it actually survived my zone 4a winter. (I gave it a well protected area and a huge amount of mulch.) It's not very large this year, so I didn't want to embarrass it by posting it's pic. LOL I wonder if mine will ever get to the size of wannadanc's?

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I just went through the entries here and see several large leaf beauties I will need to keep an eye out for when my new shade carden is ready to plant. Beatuiful pictures!

Doss, what is the small leaf trailing plant spilling over the stone wall? It looks wonderful.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It's Creeping Jenny or Lysimachia nummularia. You live in some mighty pretty country Zanymuse

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank's Doss,I added it to my list of plants to research.

I agree,this is beautiful country and I can't think of a single place I would move to that would bring me more joy.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Ah to love where you live is a true gift. Some people say that creeping Jenny is invasive but I've never had a problem with keeping it in hand here. Mine doesn't bloom a lot either but that's fine with me.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I am not worried about it being invasive since I would be planting it in a raised bed and it really wouldn't have anywhere to invade once it touched the ground. Is it fast growing for you?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

How fast, HMmmmmmmm..... As compared to? It's been in about 6 years and it still hasn't totally covered everything. I'd say that it's about as fast as ajuga? It depends on how much sun it gets. It's faster growing where it gets more sun.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

That is a good response. Ajuga is a pretty fast grower here so this should fill in pretty quickly for me. Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.