Lets see those large leaved plants....

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I love large leaved plants but due to space we only have a few in our yard. But I would love to see yours. Here is one of my favorites. The Big leafed Golden Sunray Ligulara. It sends up golden yellow flowers in the summer. I love its form.

Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

This is another of the favorites for the larger leaves of course the Oak leaf hydrangea.... Nothing else to say. lol

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Of course the hostas if you have shade of course you have hostas I dont know this ones technical name but I do love them..... I like the flowers when they blossom, oh yes thats our Goats Beard in the back.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I got this plant from our neighbor its some kind of rhubarb (non eatable) Thats fine with me but I do love the leaves. It spreads pretty fast I just planted this last summer and its doubled its size already.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

These are our Jack in The Pulpits they are very large this year. I just moved them here last fall they seem to like the more filtered sun in this spot Im very happy with them.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

Bear's breeches is a good one.

Thumbnail by weeding

Fatsia japonica, which is one of my favorites, has nice large leaves.

Thumbnail by weeding
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here are a couple of ligularias and a farfugium 'Argentea' (that's the variegated one)

Thumbnail by doss
Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Everyone has posted such a wonderful selection of photos of plants and gardens.
doss,
That is a beautiful garden. Nice choice of plants for variety of foliage texture and color. The farfugium "Argentea" caught my eye, is it easy to grow?
I never thought of growing large leaf plants before but I do have a few nice Heuchera Autumn Bride that might qualify.

Thumbnail by sempervirens
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Argentea is easy to grow - it's evergreen. It's only hardy to zone 7 but Big Dipper Farm has the Aureomaculatum (yellow spotted) one hardy to zone 5.
http://www.bigdipperfarm.com/cgi-bin/searchstuff.pl?Botanical=Farfugium
I have that one too and I love it. It will grow in the dark.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

thanks for the photos I dont have to many large leafs. but they are nice foliage. and add texture. and layers. usually not to many flowers. Ronna

Thornton, IL

Your big hosta could be Elegans. I have one and it has big white flowers on it now.

Thornton, IL

Cynthia~Loved both of your pics, very interesting plants, great textural interest. Who needs blooms with plants like these? :0)

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

cynthia are the fatsias only hardy to zone 7b? I really like the look of the foiage are they a shade plant? kinda looks like you have it in shade. Ronna

Sorry it took so long to repond. My fatsia is in full shade. All the sites I have looked at says no lower than 7a.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1714/

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

thanks boy do I ever like it, it must be some kind of ligulara? I have two of them. But Im in the wrong zone for those. I do like them.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Doss: I love your garden! Every time I see it, I get inspired to try harder.
Well, these are pretty big leaves, I suppose. Colocasia Ilustris seems happy this summer. It's crowding itself out!
:-)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Fatsia Japonica, but diff. variety. (Cynthia, yours is gorgeous btw.)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Great plants Deb and great photos of them too. REally beautiful. Those are two plants that I don't have in my garden.

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

I also love large leaved plants; they give that feeling of lush humid primeval forests.
I ad one to the beauties mentioned above; Darmera peltata. Mine is growing in half shade on the edge of my pond. Its have lovely pink flowers in early spring.
A picture before it was half destroyed by a nasty hail storm a couple of weeks ago. Sniff....

Thumbnail by bonitin
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

its pretty flowers;

Thumbnail by bonitin
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here is another large leaf plant I dont see mentioned:

Rodgersia

Mine is 4-5 yrs old and flowered this year for the first time - pretty slow grower but lovely.

Ornamental Rhubarb is another huge one.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Oops that was the right plant but not the right picture!

Here it is in full bloom.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Love that ornamental rhubarb. This is the same area as the one I posted before but the ligularia is in bloom. There is a hosta Plantaginea blooming here too but the white blooms didn't get picked up very well in the photo.

Thumbnail by doss
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

yes and heres a photo of my ligulara this year. I like it alot. this year ive noticed the butterflies all over it also. dont know why i never noticed it before. fancy van is the rodgersia hardy to zone 5? i really like it alot. ill have to look it up on plant files. does it produce any seeds? hint hint... Ronna

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful butterfly photo.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

gardenlady123, Rodgersia is hardy to at least Zone 4 and if fancy van is growing it in Zone 3 you shouldn't have any problem. I actually brought one from Virginia to plant in my in-law's garden on the lake in Charlevoix, MI and it's doing better there than it did here in Zone 6! It's been a slow grower for me but well worth the wait.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

And that is Canadian Zone 3 ( we have a slightly different zone map up here - used to be 2B on the old map) so yes you should be able to grow it in your area!

Oh Rona I just cut the seed heads off today! I dont collect seeds from most things so I forgot that maybe others would like them. But the plant is so darn slow to mature I cant imagine how long it would take from seed!

I am one of those who likes to buy my plants big! Dont have the patience or the space for seeds.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

thank you fancyvan but you dont have to im kinda like you and want instant gratification. when i plant some thing i at least want to see what ive planted but thanks for the info both you and rcn48. Ronna

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

well i was just on plant scout i had no idea of the vast many rodgersias out there!!!! they are all so beautiful. i really really want some the cheapest one i saw was just 7.00 thats not so bad huh? i may just order a couple it says part shade but i dappled the same? i have a spot in the dappled area....

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

duh i just got a closer look at a plant on plant files and i already have on of those they are also called saxafras or something like that? i really like it, it gets some very beautiful pink flowers in the spring with waxy leaves. sound right?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Dappled shade should be fine.

I planted Fireworks this summer - now I think I need to look for the Chocolate one!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

i can not believe i didnt post a photo of my oramental rhubarb. i got it from my neighbor and love it. it does kinda spread pretty fast. as you can see i have a little problem with slugs this year. but im doing the beer in a cup thing and its really working. ive caught many of the crawling snackers.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

and another photo of my ligulara. only cause they are my fav large leaf plant. Ronna

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Thumbnail by yardqueen1948
Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Thumbnail by yardqueen1948
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

What is #2??

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Doss,
It is an elephant ear, but I don't know the cultivar. I found it at a local nursery. I looked in plant files and did not see one like it...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Haven't got a picture yet but I bought a Ligularia Britt Marie last night! Should be stunning next year!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It's too bad that you don't know the name of your elephant ear. It's such a nice one.

You will love your Britt Marie.
Here's ligularia palmitaloba. It is struggling but I have it planted under a walnut tree.

Thumbnail by doss

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.