One of the nicest lists for butterfly gardeners

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Your bunny is cute. I think his cousins are living under one of my fir trees. And your front native garden is very attractive. Do you get a lot of butterflies visiting it?

I just wanted to add in reference to the moist, pond, and bog gardening posts, that swamp milkweed, joe pye weed, button bush, and monarda are some butterfly loving plants that like damp/wet soil. I don't know of many other 'butterfly attracting' pond/bog plants but I am sure there are loads...does anyone have experience with these, I wonder?

I am going to try to get a moister spot in my garden by disconnecting the roof gutter system from the drainage pipe and making a kind of surface 'stream'....I don't know if it will work, but I read about it somewhere and it sounds interesting.

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

tabasco, I grow all of the plants you mention with the exception of button bush since I've seen it growing in full standing water. I don't have moist soil....well I guess it is when it rains, but otherwise, it's dry. Swamp milkweed does fine here in regular garden soil, as does monarda and joepyeweed.

terryr-- thanks for your follow-up. I read recently that if you have a bog garden you will attract a number of butterflies other than the woodland and prairie types. I just can't remember which butterflies are the ones found in boggy, swampy areas. I know the dragonflies and damselflies like the swampy gardens, though.

I do have a long list of butterfly plants in my garden and have loads of BFs common to the Ohio River Valley. Maybe I will do a little research if no one has the info handy.

Thanks again. t.

Oh my gosh, I just lost a whole lengthy post for sempervirens. Oh does that irk me. Sorry too because I was going to reply earlier but had to do some shopping and I knew I was going to have to think to reply and was sort of brain dead.

Here goes again!

Quoting:
I am not sure I can maintain a very acid soil without continual addition to the soil. What do you think I should do?
I've tried and it's real difficult to even attempt to maintain an acid soil without some sort of a liner. Your sphagnum is going to leach it's acids down into the lower levels. Honest to goodness, I think you should go to K-Mart or some place like that and pick up a 6' kiddie pool that is about 18" deep and sink it in the ground. You will never see the ugly turquoise edge and it should last at least 10+ years because it won't be exposed to UV. Take a few concrete blocks and place them dead center to create a base for that birdbath and then start filling it with materials for either an acid bog (peatland) or an alkaline/neutral fen (calcareous). There ya go, it works and for all of about $9 you should be good to go. There is another possibility for a liner. Troll around the neighborhoods to see who is getting a new roof and ask the contractors if you can come back for scraps. That firestone black roofing material that they lay down under the shingles works great as a liner and you can get any shape you want (tobasco, this might be good for you if you want to divert one of your gutters to make a rain garden). I've got two rain gutters trenched under my lawn feeding a lowland area that has some rather interesting plants in it. Rain gardens are way cool.

If it were me sempervirens, I'd go for the neutral/alkaline and then if you are happy with that try an acid bog and we can toss some carnivorous plants in for you and that would be a lot of fun. Sarracenia flava is a bombproof plant that looks impressive when grown in a small area with other acid lovers and it has a tall, exotic, and stately yellow bloom in spring. Some plants you could consider for neutral/alkaline would be:
-Petasites frigidus (Sweet Coltsfoot)
-Lobelia Kalmii (Brook Lobelia)
-Caltha palustris (Marsh Marigold)
-Bromus ciliatus (Fringed Brome) Personal favorite of mine
-Equisetum scirpoides (some sort of a fen rush, very graceful and beautiful companion planted with other species)
-Liatris ligulistylis (Blazing Star)
-Cyprepedium parviflorum (Yellow Lady Slipper)
-Gentiana procera (Fringed Gentian) another personal favorite
-There's another Gentian out there that I can't think of right now that would work too.
-Viola nephrophylla (Bog Violet)
-Spiranthes spp. (Ladies Tresses orchids)
-Carex tetanica (Fen Sedge)
-Carex aquatilis (? Sedge) you better check the spelling on that
-Carex sterilis (? Sedge)
-Rhynchospora capillacea (Fen Beak Rush)
-Aster umbellatus (have no idea what the common name for this is) you will have to look it up
-Thelypteris thelypteroides (Marsh Fern) yet another personal favorite
-Mimulus glabratus (Monkey Flower)

Cephalanthus occidentalis (Buttonbush) is at least a ten footer. That's going to get too big for your area. Mine are only a few years old and they took off for the sky already. Joepyeweed is another one that would be too big for limited space. Come to think of it, my Swamp Milkweed is towering over my head too. Great plants for a large rain garden though ;) Hint hint... try one tobasco... once you go soggy you never go back.
Quoting:
I read recently that if you have a bog garden you will attract a number of butterflies other than the woodland and prairie types. I just can't remember which butterflies are the ones found in boggy, swampy areas. I know the dragonflies and damselflies like the swampy gardens, though.
Yup, you are 100% correct here. I wish you lived close to me because I'd invite you over to see what hangs out around me with all the wetlands I have. I can't identify even 10% of what flies around here. Dragonflies can travel pretty far from water but you'd definitely begin seeing more damselflies with a nice big rain garden in your yard. They certainly do love wetlands.

Oh........is Rufus looking for me at your house??? I miss Rufus....

You had all of his offspring you greedy person you. None of mine ever land on me and hang out.

Equi-- when I get up to your area I would love to see your boggy plantings!

We do have a boggy place in the woods behind us that has a variety of flora and I suppose I could go out there with my wildflower book and an iced tea today (about 100 degrees here) and watch which flowers get the most flying visitors... As for a boggy garden in our yard--I think some of the plants like Joe Pye Weed come in shorter strains that might lend themselves to more domestic environment.

Another boggy butterfly host plant--off the top of my head-- I think violets like wet places and are a host plant for frittilaries, too.

Here is a link to a beautiful set of butterfly photos taken at the Volo Bog in northern Illinois. There is not a lot of butterfly specific detail about the flora in the habitat, but the photography is wonderful... Is this close to your home, equi.?

http://www.richard-seaman.com/Arthropods/Usa/Butterflies/Illinois/index.html

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

terryr, I have all of the plants tabasco mentioned for gardening in wet areas, including the buttonbush. It was in a wet area when originally planted; but in the last few years that area doesn't stay wet at all. In fact, it's often just hard dry clay and the buttonbush is not minding the change. So if you'd like to add one, I'd recommend you go for it! Just keep it well watered to get established, as always. I was lucky that Mother Nature fulfilled that role for me.

Yup, the Volo Bog is close to me. About 45 minutes away. I went there last year with Pixydish who flew out to stay with me. I hadn't been there in years. She loved it, I was really disappointed in it. Sadly, it doesn't seem to have adequate volunteer resources to maintain it and it's no where near as pristine as it was in the 70's or even in the 80's. The little problem is that people have been harvesting out of there. The mind set that "just one for my private collection won't make a difference" and taking a few because "everybody else does" has really taken a toll. Now add to this that a few colleges and universities harvested heavily out of there for educational purposes back in the 50's and 60's and I think you get the idea. Sadly volunteers tried to track down plants only to learn that the colleges and universities had long ago lost the plant material they took to summer breaks and the likes. It's real difficult meeting the cultural requirements of the types of plants that grow in that kind of an ecosystem yet people still take them... and the plants still die.

The photographs of those butterflies are beautiful. I have almost all of those except that Satyr Anglewing. Oddly enough, I haven't seen a Common Buckeye around here but they are common so maybe I am missing them. That was a nice link you provided. Interesting to learn that native stinging nettles are a host plant to the Red Admiral caterpillar. I knew why I left some native Poison Ivy around here but didn't know why I was leaving native stinging nettles. Have you ever run into a stinging nettle? If you have, you'll know why I questioned myself over leaving those be. Ouch ouch ouch.

So, if you want to come to this area, I have one not so secret place to take you to and two secret places to take you to that are also within an hour's driving distance. Two are bogs off the beaten path that aren't "popular" because people don't go around broadcasting where they are so they are still rich in diversity (little or no collecting going on in these areas because the types of people who visit know not to harvest) which means you can still see quite a bit of critter life as well as a host of species in situ and one site that is sort of off the beaten path but not a secret would be the Illinois Beach State Park. The IL Beach State Park is magnificent and has decent volunteer resources. Volunteer resources make all the difference in the world.

http://chicagowildernessmag.org/issues/winter1998/IWillinoisbeach.html
http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/PARKS/R2/ILBEACH.HTM
I can't identify even half of the species at the Illinois Beach State Park.

I forgot to mention we have a wetlands demonstration area here off the Des Plaines River that is rich in diversity too.

Buttonbush does seem to be able to tolerate a lot of wildly varying conditions. Good point mickgene.

Ohohoh really?? I absolutely love buttonbush! Thank you mickgene!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I am really enjoying this thread. Equil, you have really enlighten me on bog plants. i have a fishing pond that I'm trying to find plants that are attractive to butterflies. I'm taking lots of notes here.

I am confused about pitcher plants. Does this plant attract mosquitoes for them to breeding in their cups or do they actually eat the skeeters that are already around the pond anyway? I had read (of course I can't find it again) some conflicting readings about pitcher plants around a pond margin and I was afraid I'd plant them for the wrong reason. Can someone tell me more about the dos and don'ts of planting pitcher plants in a pond?

Judy, I enjoyed reading your link of the Volo bog pictures. The narrator was actually very informative. I didn't know how to distinquish the Monarch from the Vicroy until I read about the V's black loop line on the hind wings. I love to read first hand accounts of butterfly encounters anyway and this site was a perfect example.

Deborah

Little bit of a technicality on the use of the word bog. The plants I sort of recommended for her are more fen and marsh plants. All are wetlands species though.

Hold off, on taking notes on those plant suggestions. Many of them may be fine for you given you are east of the Rockies and some of them may be fine for me too but most of that list was sort of tailored to her gardens which are in New Jersey. I grow many of those plants but some I don't because they're not native to where I garden. I have some really great books that I use as resource tools.

Don't plant carnivorous plants in your pond or you will lose $$$. They won't survive more than a season or two in that nutrient rich of an environment.

The reports you mentioned aren't necessarily conflicting... just from different sources. I've found mosquito larvae in some of my pitchers from time to time. It happens. Not that big of a deal.

As far as the pitchers, when I dissect them I find tons of the European paper wasps in them and a host of other insects to include skeeters. If you remind me this fall, I'll slice one open for you and photgraph the contents. You'll be surprised. In all these years, I have never found one butterfly in any of my pitchers but I'm sure they get in them from time to time.

Soooo Cordeledawg... are you about ready to take the leap to go soggy too?

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Yes!, I want a soggy butterfly plant garden! Help me find some plants that like wet feet half of the year, and in the dry summertime months, can stand to be a tad bit dryer when the water recedes.

Yes, when I said 'boggy' I guess I was using it in the generic sense and should have said 'wetlands'--I forgot there are technical differences between bogs, swamps, fens, etc. and it's interesting (for me, anyway) to review all the terms-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetlands

Sorry to hear about all the people who want to sample the park's plant material for their own use. That is unfortunate.

We have been up to your area, equil, a couple of times this summer. Lake County and Chicago have done a lot to restore the waterfront up there. Many years ago when DH and I were in college we spent many a lovely day trekking around in the Lake Michigan dunes and related swampy places. Now I suppose all of that is verboten. And it is so crowded up there now compared to many years ago.

I do not know if fermilab is near you, Equi., but Tom Peterson has created an interesting website about the renewal of that fen/swamp/bog/march (?) and includes lots of information on the butterflies in the habitat and I like to refer to this site:

http://tdpc02.fnal.gov/peterson/tom/Butterflies/FermilabButterflyReport2002.html

Now I'm going to our little 'wetlands' area (we are very near the Ohio River) to look for butterflies and check for some of things I'm learning about on the thread. Will take my camera and keep you posted!

Thanks everybody! t.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

While I was gone this thread got long and very interesting.
Thanks for the list Equil. The question is what do I remove so I have a 6 foot space, without tree roots, to start my fen or marsh? With such a good list how can I resist. I do have a downspout rain garden in the front but it's not actually on my property, it really belongs to my neighbor. When I did a barter, planting their front garden in exchange for some carpentry, I threw in a rain garden at my expense because I wanted to try a rain garden. I don't think I can sneak a small pool in the ground without it being noticed. Notice I am already out of room and gardening on my next door neighbors property. How much sun do I need? I have a shady area in the back I can use. If it must be sun I'll have to move a Rosa virginiana again so I'll have to wait until the fall.

tabasco,
You asked if I had a lot of butterflies attracted to the front garden. I am attracting more birds who are keeping the butterfly population down.

Cordeledawg's a convert!
Cordeledawg's a convert!
Cordeledawg's a convert!

You're in Georgia. Georgia has some mighty righteous wetlands. Since the plants above are more for NJ, please start a new thread and we can all play and create possible plant lists for you. These types of thread breathe life back into the Wildlife Gardening Forums for me. I don't know about anyone else but it sure does perk me up to see people giving it their all for the native fauna. Way cool!

tobasco! Loved your link to the butterflies. I don't know that Tom Peterson but I sure do love his photography. Fermilab is about an hour away from me over near the Morton Arb. Great place! They give tours. I've never done a tour but I'd be interested in taking one. Say, what's this I hear you've been in my neck of the woods recently and a couple times to boot? I can cook ya know. We could spend the day exploring Fermilab and come back and barbecue and swat away mosquitoes at my house.

Mayor Daley has done Chicago proud. I've toured some of his wildlife corridors and I've seen some of his restoration handiwork and to say it is impressive would be an understatement. He's done a fine job and I sure do hope he keeps up the pace. Chicago is not looking like such an arm pit these days.

Dear sweet sempervirens, decisions decisions decisions. I'd say wait until fall and move that R. virginiana again. You're gonna need some sun!

Yes, Mayor Dailey is doing a good job as far as the parks go (I don't know much about the other politics). When I was there last month they had every little street garden along Michigan Avenue planted with butterfly attracting plants like milkweed, cosmos, joe pye weed...they went on and on and it was so cute. I don't know if they got a lot of butterflies visiting--I was there a bit early. Mayor Dailey was also in the middle of purchasing 30000 bikes (I think) for some kind of bike borrowing scheme.

I go along with my DH up to Chicago from time to time. And then his family has a home on Geneva Lake which is a nice area, too. I will let you know when we get up that way again! Thanks for the kind invitation!

Politically, he is on the other side of the spectrum from me so I don't get into any of that. What I do know is that regardless of his political affiliation, he commands my respect for what he has done for that city. He hired some of the best of the best. He made sure there was adequate funding to get the jobs done. The purchase of 30k bikes is rather innovative and I hadn't heard any talk of this scheme. I like it. Get the people pedaling!

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Oh, some one said I was dear and sweet. Why that is the nicest thing anyone said to me all this very long day. Thank you Equil.
Glad to hear Mayor Dailey is supporting wildlife corridors.
I read an article recently that talked about building a tunnel, in N.J,. under the highway, to be used as a wildlife crossing. There is some controversy as to how effective it will be.

Daley is supporting a lot more than just wildlife corridors. Take a look see online at some of the projects he has completed and some he has in the works. I believe Chicago Wilderness features much of what is going on in Chicago from an environmental standpoint.

Most animals don't like not being able to see a clear cut escape route. I would think the length of them would be critical. Couple other things come to mind but we're in dire need of more innovative crossings so I'd be for it. Did anyone ever see the movie "Fly Away Home"? That particular movie, although fiction, was in part based on fact. If they can use an ultralight to teach birds new migration patterns why not teach other species of wildlife how to cross under a highway? There are already many culverts connecting wetlands in use right now to provide safe crossing for turtles and other herps. Turtles are using the culverts and aren't ending up as road pancakes any longer. I'd be very interested in any links you may have of the controversy. I'd be a proponent of a tunnel. We need to find some way to connect habitat.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

I googled "wildlife tunnels under the highway in N.J." and came up with a number of articles. Basically in order to widen the parkway through the pine barrens the DEP is asking for tunnels. If they are too long and dark it is unknown if they will be used. The alternate or addition to the plan preferred by some is a habitat protection land purchase to insure the land along the parkway will not be developed.

Ah, those tunnels. They want to widen the road through the Pine Barrens. The Pine Barrens is critical habitat that has sort of been sliced in half. I hope they create tunnels and purchase land along the parkway.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.