Sunflower Seeds

Dothan, AL(Zone 8b)

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me how and when to collect sunflower seeds for planting again, and for eating.

I have plants with the flowers dying off and do not know whether to keep the flower on the plant or cut off and dry. How long to dry too...All info appreciated.

Thanks
Gail

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

The main things I'd worry about are birds and molds. If the weather is nice and dry, no problem with the molds, but birds really love to clean off the flower heads as soon as they can pick the seeds loose... I can't blame them!

When the flowers heads begin to nod, then the seeds are beginning to mature. When you can lightly rub all the little florets off the seeds on the seedhead, then the seeds are nearly done maturing... you'll just have to dry them a bit. If it's rainy and humid, cut the heads and bring them in to dry to avoid mold. You can leave them to dry on the seedhead as long as you want, but they take up a load of space. When you can rub them off the seedheads without too much effort, then they're ready to remove and store. If you have any doubts, spread out the extracted seeds to dry some more... no harm. If the weather's nice and dry, they can be left on the stalks to dry outside, but the birds are usually a better judge of when they're ready than we are. You can bag them or net them to reduce the pilferage, but bringing in the heads is usually better. Some people hang them or lay them face-up in a well ventilated shed or porch.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.