Can all seeds be kept in the fridge?

North Augusta, ON

or do I have to look them allllll up to find out which ones can or can't?

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

I put them all in and to be fair some need it and some die if you do.. But realistically more keep longer than die.
Big seed banks are moisture controlled cool rooms to keep there collections.

Someone of course will post that they allways keep there seeds on top of the heating boiler at a trillion degrees and they allways germinate.. But every seed is different. Like Ricinus i never worry about they keep fine where ever they are put (nearly).

Its a combination of factors that prolong storage.
You can't win! lol

Mike

North Augusta, ON

Thank you Mike....I will put em all in the fridge, with this high humidity we have been getting lately, I noticed that some of them sre getting a bit sticky....it seems the more tropical type seeds are more prone to it than the perennials. In the fridge they go......

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Watch your fridge in't set too low though... you don't want to freeze them.

Mike

Orange Park, FL

three, just about any seed will keep well in the fridge. Low humidity and cool temps prolong the life of nearly all seeds. I keep all my seeds in the fridge in old spice jars or baby food jars. But in every case I always add 1-2 teaspoons of uncooked white rice to the jar. The rice helps to absorb any trapped moisture within the container.
Some folks swear by putting their seeds in the freezer. And that is OK so long as the moisture content of the seeds is down around 10-20%. The problem is that it's nearly impossible to tell if your seeds are that dry. And if the moisture content is too hi, the freezing will allow excessive moisture content to "crystalize" as in ice crystals, and can easily damage the seed itself to the point that it will never germinate.
Case in point. I read about a year ago about an archeological dig that found some seeds that were about 2000 years old. Somewhere in the Middle East. Don't remember if it was date seeds or olive seeds, or something else. But apparently they came from a very dry, cool dig. And they tried to germinate a few of the seeds. One or 2 actually germinated.
I just recently planted some watermelon seeds that I bought at Home Depot in 1999. Of the 8 seeds I planted, 3 of them germinated.
So, yes, the fridge is a great place to store seeds. Even some of your basic garden veggie seeds will remain viable, in large part, for several years, if stored properly.
One thing I would caution. If, next spring, you decide you want to try to plant a few of those seeds you have been storing in the fridge, take the little jars out of the fridge and allow them to sit on the counter for several hours before you open the container. If you open a cold seed jar right after you take it out of the fridge, the temp differential will tend to form condensation on the inside of the jar. And that condensation is a killer for the seeds you don't use.

North Augusta, ON

Thank you.

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

Do you keep the seeds in the fridge all winter? Karen S

North Augusta, ON

Yep.....

Orange Park, FL

me too

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

Don't freeze them?? Karen

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

did you say tropical seeds. might that be an exception?

North Augusta, ON

probably some (not an expert here)

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm new at harvesting and saving seeds. How do most people dry them? Where do I keep them until next year? Refrigerator or freezer. I don't understand about cleaning them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.