So-called "Super Poppies" or Minicap Hybrids - Orientals

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Ge1836, it is slow due to the 164 page catalog.

Annieg487, I want them all too, within reason of course. A little here,
a little there.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

I also bought some seeds from "One Stop Poppy". Going to try my hand at that. Bought a couple blues and the white cousin. Got a free pack of annuals that I am going to sow outside this spring.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Mike! Are your OSPS seeds for Oriental poppies? or Annuals?
I have had bad luck with OSPS somnifariums!!.Check Garden Watchdog.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

GE1836, I got Himalayan White Poppy, Meconopsis Lingholm and Hensol Violet. They gave me a free pack of Somniferum Pepperbox.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I sowed Heritage, Lavander,Giant White,Lilac and maybe one other.
These are somnifariums and I have always had luck with them.
None of last falls sowing germinated and I figured it was my fault because I sowed too early.
Another grdener had the same thing happen. I wrote to her just to let her know but I never got a reply.
I changed my glowing review to a neutral from a positive.
Check out Garden Watchdog to see what the last date of reviews were and what the latest ones said.
I believe not everyone with a complaint leaves a review anywhere on GWD and many grievences are aired in the forums.
Good luck with your crop. I certainly am hoping for good results for the order I got from them this fall. If there isnt any germination I will definatly let GWD know.
I believed she needed to know if she was selling steril seeds thats why I left a review.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Ge1836, AnnieG and fellow forumites, do you use the grow-thru supports on your Orientals?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I dont use the grow thru if they are a grid pattern.because the emerging stems and leaves get stuck too easily.
I am not as diligent about watching out for misshaps like that.
I use Peony supports.I dont use the double supports on OP's just the singles.
If there is a spot where the after bloom growth is overhanging and spreading I use a 3 foot wide piece of decorative garden fencing I buy at HD.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

I find wintersowing poppies the best way to get them to germinate and then since they are in containers, you can move them where ever you want when it comes time to plant them in the ground.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Have you ever winter sowed annual poppies?
Its important here to make the differentation.
I realize the poppy talk started with Orientals and has drifted to Annuals.

This message was edited Jan 13, 2011 12:16 PM

Edwardsburg, MI

Mike -No I don't use grow thrus on my poppies. So far they haven't really needed it. They only tend to "flop" when we have a heavy rain and I don't think the grow thrus would help that much then.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Yes, I have, but it's not usually necessary. If you have the place you want to plant them already picked out. Just take them out the end of February and sprinkle them on the snow and they should come up without a problem. I do that for California Poppies all the time.

Louisville, KY

I ordered the super poppy collection from Burpees on Monday. I have had quite a bit of trouble growing O. Poppies from bare root, although no trouble growing them from seed. I called customer service at Burpees and they checked to find out how they come. They will be shipped in 4 inch pots.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Seeds dont work for me. I need to see blooms too soon so I buy the plants.
Local nurserys dont have the really fantastic colors tho.

Edwardsburg, MI

I've tried collecting seeds and re-sowing them but haven't had any luck with them. I'm like you ge1836 - I want to see bloom ASAP! Have you ever ordered from Garden Crossings? They send huge plants but their shipping charges are on the high side but I think they are worth it. If you keep checking their web site, they may add some more poppies. Last year they had some from the "New York" series but I messed around and ordered them too late so hope to get them this year. I'm also trying to order some from England. Their garden centers have so many more than any of ours do around here. Will let you know how that works out - if it does.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have ordered from GC and the plante bloomed 2 weeks later and again in the fall.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

California poppies are annuals and so they bloom first year and then they resow themselves. :)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is off topic but I have to share
http://www.wimp.com/babyhummingbird/

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Yeah, that is really pretty cool. :)

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Ge1836, that vid was sooooo nice I shared it with everyone.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I tried to find out how the bird made out .
You tube has 2 vids. One was dated 2007. 3 years is a long life for any bird.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I want ALL of them! Planted a nice collection last year in a new spot, but my DH went wild with the snow plow right in that spot and I am hoping that they haven't been uprooted and languishing in a pile somewhere 20 feet from where they were planted!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.