Red Velvet Mandelvilla

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Anybody growing this vine?
New for me this year,in fact,I don't ever remember seeing this one last year at all!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Not growing any Mandevilla's now but this one is lovely.
Beautiful lvs too which I like better than the Alice Dupont type.

Jackie

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I can tell you this after growing Alice and a couple other varieties this one is the most prolific bloomer,I've ever seen!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Looks like the one I just bought a couple of weeks ago. I am hoping to keep it alive through the summer the color is absolutely gorgeous!!

Montreal, Canada

Isn't it beautiful? I also bought one for the first time this summer! I just put it out on my balcony and it is already started clinging to the rails. You are right Tropicman, she is a bloomer!

Any ideas on how to best care for such a beauty would be appreciated.

Charmaine

This message was edited Jun 12, 2007 11:47 PM

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Charmaine,
Well not to sure,because I could never get the pink mandelvillas to bloom much,but so far I've been fertilizing with Peters 20-20-20,like yours is sending new shoots and vining like crazy as well,full sun seem to be working as well,so I believe I'll just keep doing what works!!!

Middle River, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi All....... Growing one here for the first time also....... LOVE this deep red color !!!

I've had mine for just about a month now....... keep getting tons of blooms....... Not so sure it's getting taller...... but maybe I'm watching it too much..... (LOL)

Is it a slow climber ???

janice

Thumbnail by wallis104
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Janice,
I'm not sure if they are slow or not,but that might depend on the amount of sunshine and fertilizer you give it.
Does anyone know if these bloom on old and new wood?

A google revealed that these should be pruned in late winter/early
spring, so blooms on new growth.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the info!

You're welcome.

Jackie

Montreal, Canada

I have also noticed that the flowers have started fading - it was blood red before being put out on the balcony!

Any ideas what's going on?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Did you acclamate your plant before giving it full sun?

Charmaine, I just noticed you're in Canada. How are the temps there?
Is it cold at night? These are tropical and would resent the cold.

Jackie

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Here's mine. I love the color and it holds so well.

Thumbnail by Brugie
Montreal, Canada

The answer is no to all of your questions!
Shame on me!

Regarding cool temps, it has not been a problem so far. Just to let you know - I also put out my plumeria plants at the same time. They seem to be doing much better.

And, the only acclimatizing I did was putting them on the windowsill and in a sunroom, which gets very warm on sunny days!

Charmaine, If it's warm enough for your plummies then it 's warm enough for the mandevilla. So I don't have a clue. Maybe those
blooms were getting old and it's just time for them to fade.
Hopefully you will get a new set of buds soon.

Jackie

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Pretty Brugie!!!
Mine is really growing crazy from all the rain we've been getting!!!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks Don. I think this is one of the prettiest Mandy's I've seen. I have a white one in bloom and it's pretty blah looking. These vines should put up quite a display within the next month. Stay cool.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks
Summer is here going into the 90's tomorrow and all next week,ands it's coming your way!!!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks...that's just what we need. If I had plenty of moisture, I wouldn't mind.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Funny I find this thread today!! Hi Don! I have a big question about these. Are there 2 kinds? I just bought 2 that were labeled the same but obviously different. They had the same flower and color but the leaf was different and the growth habit was too.

One was like yours Don. Longer, elongated leaf with a very aggressive vining habit.

The other is like the one Janice posted. The leaves are more rounded and it is more of a bush than a viner though does vine some. Much slower growing.

Here they are calling them Crimson Sun Parasol. I asked the nursery how both were tagged not once but in 2 ways the same name when they were so different. They had no clue.

This is the more rounded leaf one like the one Janice posted. I have a very big plant of it, well actually 2 now. I also had this plant last year which btw survived outside with no cover when our temps dipped down to the low 20s in an unusually bitter winter.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

The more aggressive one like the one Don posted, I planted out in my rose garden just 2 days ago. I went out to take the picture and it is already twining up the trellis quite a bit. I may live to regret planting it out there. I have a feeling it will go wild.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Here are the 2 kinds of leaves side by side. Anyone familiar with these?

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

OK after looking online. I think there are 2. The bushier one must be Crimson Sun Parasol Mandevilla.
http://ecolage.safeshopper.com/59/2141.htm?127

The more aggressive one must be Red Velvet Mandevilla. The flowers looked the same to me at the nursery. I will have to wait till the vining one gets more flowers to be sure. I see the Red Velvet has pink flowers when cool.

http://www.lakeareanursery.com/red_velvet.htm

And they have PINK velvet too.
http://www.velvetmandevilla.com/pink_velvet.htm

Oh I am really so confused. LOL

And have any of you seen this one yet? Tropical Dreams.
http://www.lakeareanursery.com/tropical_dreams.htm

I need it.

Thumbnail by Kell
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Kell,
I talked to a guy from Arkansas,who said the smaller leaf was a form of Dipladena,red riding hood,that they grew and overwintered in the ground for years.
The tropical Dream foliage reminds me of a gardenia leaf!!
I like it too!!!!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi again Don! Had your friend heard of Crimson Sun Parasol Mandevilla?
http://ecolage.safeshopper.com/59/2141.htm?127

Next time I see a tagged Red Riding Hood I will have to look closely at it. I enjoyed one of those too for a few years. Easy as I recall. I love easy!

There are getting to be so many of them it is getting hard to keep them all straight! I have 7 kinds now.

Ada told me earlier she had Tropical Dreams from Logees last year. It died immediately so I bet it is not an easy one. Too bad!!!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Well he did mention it was more of a bush than a vine,and that it was evergreen if planted on the south side of the house foundation.
Well if tropical dreams is that easy kill,I'd better not even try,I've already killed to allamanada vines already,with overwatering!!!!,and I like the green large glossy green leaves it has,with those big yellow flowers,I might try it one more time,if I can find one again!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh look, I found another red one yesterday. A very big flower too!

Crimson Jewel!

edited to reflect it is RED not PINK!

This message was edited Jun 23, 2007 11:19 AM

Thumbnail by Kell

WOW Kell !!!! the pink you just posted is Gor-G-Ous !!!

Good golly....... it's a beauty. Thanks for all the research and info......

I just noticed today that mine has "sent out" a "climber" and at least that is beginning to climb....

Next year I'll be more knowledgeable and will look for the fast climber......

I'm in Maryland - zone 7 - don't think I can keep it till next year........ Does anyone ???

This message was edited Jun 23, 2007 1:57 AM

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I really wanted these big red flowers, Wallis. I almost got by the high price they wanted for a 5 gallon, $49, but it was covered in spider mites too. I do not need to pay for those for I can grow my own nicely! LOL Also the state had one of those yellow bug traps with glue all over it. I had on a brand new jacket. I backed into the trap as I took that picture and got the glue all over my jacket sleeve, ruining it forever more I suspect. I was so frowning by then I wasn't buying anything. LOL!

I doubt it can survive zone 7. My Alice Du Pont vines all died over this last winter. In the past they have lived but we would only get 1 or 2 nights where it would dip to frost levels for a few hours. This last winter my Crimson Sun Parasol lived!! I was so shocked for so many of my tropicals died even though I had them wrapped. We had an unusually cold 2 weeks where it dipped well below frost.

I may have to go back for Crimson Jewel because I have a new Alice Du Pont and also a darker PINK one......Cherry something. It would be fun to have all 3 colors in one big pot to delight me all summer.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks Kell,
That's what I really call hot pink!!!I love it,will definitely keep my open for that one!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

It actually is very red. I had PINK on my mind in my first post about it. LOL
http://www.monrovia.com/MonroviaWeb.nsf/8c104835579b67e18825685f006acdf8/cd9e92c0c4b41b4285256f39006750f7!OpenDocument

Finally my Red Mandevilla is putting out shoots....... WOW - they really take off - it's fun to watch it grow.....

One of the shoots is almost all the way up the trellis now - and it's really beginning to fill in.....

I've also just noticed that it has 2 blossoms almost ready to "pop".....

janice

Thumbnail by wallis104

Here are the new blooms getting ready to greet the sun... !!!

This message was edited Jul 19, 2007 4:03 PM

Thumbnail by wallis104
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Congrat, Janice. Soon you will be enjoying lots of blooms. I still have two small red vines that haven't bloomed yet. One has buds, but they aren't growing as well as the ones in pots. My Tropical Dreams may bloom by this time next year. It's healthy, but slow as heck.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Sorry to report ,mine is on it's last leg,don't know,if it's the heat,sunlight was to much for it,or maybe I fed it too much!!!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Gosh Don, that's too bad. Did you check it for spider mites? I had never heard of them getting on one, but one of mine was covered and going downhill fast. I got her sprayed off with water and then Forbid and she is okay now.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

No,spidermites,I had cut some bamboo canes,for a couple of ladies to stake there beans on,and I think too much new sun did more than burn the leaves,I thought they needed water,and might have just overwatered them,I see some new life coming up,so I might have save her in time.
Will see what the future holds.

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Kell,Brudgie is right about Tropical Dreams,It has got to be the slowest grow I have seen We got it last year along with Alice Depunt and a red(can't find her),Alice is growing by leaps and bounds,but Tropical dreams is barely a foot tall and one single shoot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.