Swap recipes thread

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Whoe is me, I barely touched the cakes and they looked soooo good. How did I miss the Choc fudge cake. I think we could have stayed at Harts for 3 days and not run out of food.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Oooo, I saw that orange cake and didn't get a chance to try it. Please post the recipe! I love anything orange.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

OK... OK... I'll get the recipes on (hopefully) this weekend. The kids finished off the Chocolate Eclaire Dessert, but I still have over half the Orange Dreamsicle Cake. Anybody want a piece???? Still good in the fridge...

Thanks for sharing some of the other recipes too. Wrightie, I can't wait to try your butter cake... I was too full for any at the cook-out. And hart, I have made corn pudding for years, but your recipe is awesome. Brent, I would have sworn it was homemade too. I don't have a Costco membership... guess I'll have to get Chantell to blackmarket me a bag, and I'll meet her in the parking lot! ;-)

Karen

Crozet, VA

We must look like a bunch of "pushers" to anyone reading this and not realizing that we are all a bunch of jokesters. So interesting how the English language can take on so many definitions. You guys remain the very best!!!

Ruby

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I think we need to get together again for a dessert party. LOL

Crozet, VA

I second that.

Ruby

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Karen - I'm more then happy to hook you up with some black market Ravioli...LOL

Kilmarnock, VA(Zone 7a)

Hart and others: I made Hart's corn pudding and my husband and I enjoyed it a lot. Thanks so much for sharing all the great recipes.
Betty

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Glad you all enjoyed it, Betty.

BTW, check out the recipe I posted in the recipes forum the other day. (snicker) Very useful if you have extra lavender. (giggle)

Crozet, VA

Now, now Hart. You are making me have to do extra work by going to see what all the snickering is about. You nut!!! Will check in a bit and get back with you.

Ruby

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Holly, your Teriyaki Barbeque Sauce was wonderful. The best we have ever tasted. I marinated it about 2 hours because I had the time.

Hart, the Corn pudding was great. i halved the recipe for the 3 of us. I had several home canned corn I wanted to use up so decided to try it even though it had nutmeg and vanilla. I used fresh nutmeg. It was wonderful. Do you use the ground nutmeg? I plan to take it next Wednesday to our volunteer meeting at Goodwill.
Linda

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Heh heh. Here's the link so you don't have to go hunting for it, Ruby.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/735463/

I use just regular old ground nutmeg, Linda. I'll bet it was really good with fresh ground. BTW, don't substitute cinnamon. It doesn't taste the same.

Kilmarnock, VA(Zone 7a)

Gita, I made your pickles the other day and they were ready for eating yesterday. My husband said, " Boy, these are good. I didn't know you could make pickles." Wow, thanks for giving me the recipe; I knew he'd like them as did I. They were terrific.

Betty

Crozet, VA

Betty, don't you just love when our men compliment us? I am glad that he enjoyed the pickles.

Hart, I ame a corn pdding too, just like my momma made. I will give a go at yours at some point though, because like everyone else, I thought it was deluxe.

Have a good weekend all and happy gardening and eating.

Ruby

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I made the terriyaki last night. DH and I really enjoyed it -- it was like we were back in Nihon.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm glad you all liked the terriyaki. Ric's doing about about 20lbs of chicken terriyaki for the family reunion this weekend and I'll be doing the eggs again. Chicken and eggs another mother and child reunion, for our family reunion. LOL

Crozet, VA

You are so cute Holly.

Ruby

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

bump

(need to check ingredients)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm glad you bumped this -- that reminded me to bug Karen for her Chocolate Eclaire Dessert and Orange Dreamsicle Cake recipes!

OK! OK! Sorry I'm so bad about not getting them on here... ***blushing***

The chocolate eclair dessert, I'll have to actually loook at the recipe to write it all down... so will have to wait 'til tonight.

The orange dreamscicle cake is actually a kit from either Duncan Hines or Pillsbury, or somebody like that... you will find it in the cake mix aisle. But I do enrich the recipe... any where that it calls for water in the recipe, I use orange juice concentrate. I also whip up a small box of vanilla pudding (2 cup box), and I use half in the cake mix when it's blended, and half in the icing when it's blended.

I'll post the other one tonight, after I get home from work.

Karen

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

So you actually make the pudding up according to the directions -- you don't just add the powder?

That's correct... that's the way I made it for the swap...

Chocolate Eclair Dessert

Layer #1
1 1/2 sticks margarine, softened
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup pecans, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons sugar
Combine margarine, flour, and sugar - mix until well blended. Add pecans and mix well.
Spread in bottom of 13x9" greased pan**. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Cool completely.
**(As this recipe is written, and as I make it, a 13x9" pan is not quite big enough. I have a bake pan that is 15x10" that I use for this recipe... it usually does not go to waste!)

Layer #2
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 small box instant vanilla pudding mix
1/2 cup milk
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 ounces cool whip
Combine first five ingredients and mix well until smooth. Fold in cool whip until well blended.
Spread over first layer. Refrigerate.

Layer #3
2 small boxes of instant chocolate pudding (I use one of the darker ones... choc. fudge, devil's food, dark choc., etc)
4 cups milk
Mix the pudding according to package directions. Spread over layer #2. Refrigerate.

Layer #4
8 ounces cool whip
Spread over layer #3. This can be done right before serving.

Enjoy! This is one of my family's favorites, and always a hit at picnics/potlucks.

Karen

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks!

Crozet, VA

Thank you so very much Karen. I am going to try these as soon as I find the time. I take spells for baking and I am NOT currently in one. I still have the unopened ingredients for a Christmas cookie that I had planned to make. haha I saw one of the ingredients the other day and thought that at some point, and hopefully before next Christmas, I am going to whip up a batch of these cookies.

Food at the next swap is going to be easier. I need to begin thinking about what I will be bringing.

Thank you again Karen. I will let you know when I get around to using the recipes.

Have a good day all.

Ruby

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

"Food at the next swap is going to be easier."

Yes, indeed! I'm thinking we won't even plan a formal meal time, we'll just put all the food on the kitchen island, maybe have a separate table for sweets, and we'll "graze" all day.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill,

I LOVE "grazing"! That is my kind of eating style.
Best wedding I ever went to (one of my nieces) was where there was no sit down dinner at all. Fancy appetizers were served all through the reception by waiters--one even in "drag" who walking around with huge shrimp on a platter. Yummmmmmmm.....

Will you be starting a thread as to what people want to bring? Or is it too soon?

Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

New threads are now up for the Fall Swap in Frederick. :-)

Main swap thread has links to food and plant threads. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/753182/

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Holly, I made your teriyaki chicken last weekend with a batch of jasmine rice and it was terrific. Definitely adding this to my regular things to make list.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Hart, glad you enjoyed it, It's just so easy to make and you don't need alot of special ingredients.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I marinated the chicken for several hours in the marinade and they were just as tender as butter. Not to mention delicious.

Crozet, VA

Alright, you two!!! You are making me mighty hungry. Sounds wonderful!!!

Ruby

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Try that recipe, Ruby. It's really easy.

Crozet, VA

I might just do that. Yummy!!!

Ruby

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

bump

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

What cha' makin' for us Wrightie? ;)

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally's Slaw! Sistah has to unstrap the feed sack and get serious about losing some spare tonnage, and I like this salad as a WWs kinda low-point "fix." :~)

I was just logging on to get the measurements for the vinegar, etc. So, you're better off waiting till tomorrow to come by - it should be good n yummy by then!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

"spare tonnage" ?!??!?! Yeah right!!! I posted this site over on pets as well - www.fitday.com
I finally started eating right mid Oct. and found my way to the gym a month ago...17 pounds down...many more to go - UGH!!!!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

WOW! That's great! Congratulations!

I've recently been cleared to start running again after two foot surgeries, so I'm gradually increasing that, plus I'm riding the horse more often, but now I need to get my nutrition under control.

Gonna go look at your link...

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm just horrible at keeping track..never realize "how much" I was actually taking in - even when "behaving" - this site (once I enter my "usual foods") made it very easy to tally up...at day's end it helped to make an educated decision regarding even the sugar free pudding...LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.