Swap recipes thread

Shenandoah Valley, VA

As promised, here's the recipe for the corn pudding, which is an old family recipe. What I made today was one and a half times this recipe, so just increase every amount by another 50% to make a dish that size. There are some measurements missing and the handed down recipe has no instructions at all, just ingredients, so I'll do my best to fill in the blanks.

4 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 stick butter melted (make sure you use real butter)
pinch salt
vanilla (teaspoon or so)
2 cups Carnation milk, cream or whole milk (I use Carnation milk)
2 cans corn, drained
nutmeg (half teaspoon maybe? I sprinkle on top pretty generously, stir in and then sprinkle on a little more)

In a glass baking dish, beat the eggs with a fork until yolks and whites are well mixed, add in sugar, butter, milk and stir well. Add in corn, salt, vanilla, nutmeg.

Bake in 325 degree oven until center is firm but still jiggly. The batch I made today baked for about an hour and 15 minutes to hour and a half but my oven temps may be running a bit low.

Someone also asked about the scalloped potatoes. That was just three boxes of Betty Crocker sour cream and chives scalloped potatoes. I always use real butter and put it about double what is called for on the back of the box. I also added in a little parsley. I've found it seems to be a lot better too if you cook it at a lower temperature for a longer time rather than a higher temperature for a shorter time.

Please, everyone post the recipes for the dishes you made for today's swap. Everything was wonderful. Ric, the teriyaki chicken was the best I've ever eaten. Wrightie, that butter cake was terrific. Gosh, just everything.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Hart, thanks so much for posting the recipe. I never did get to sample it because I was already stuffed, so now I'll have to make it myself.

I made a "Kentucky Butter Cake":

Sift together: 3 Cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp baking soda

Cream: 1 cup butter
2 cups sugar

Blend in: 4 unbeaten eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.

Combine: 1 Cup buttermilk or sour milk and 2 tsps. Vanilla

Add alternately with dry ingredients, blending well after each addition (low speed on mixer).
Turn into a 10” tube pan greased on the bottom.

Bake: 325 degrees 60-65 minutes (65 always seems to be just right in my oven)

Butter Sauce for Cake:

Combine: 1 cup sugar, ¼ cup water and ½ cup butter in saucepan. Heat until butter is melted (do not boil). Add 1 T. Vanilla

Loosen cake from sides. Prick cake top with fork and pour sauce (hot) over top of cake. Let the sauce soak in. (Note: I find that a chopstick gets the job done more quickly and easily than a fork) Turn cake out when cake is slightly cooled but still a little warm and the sauce has been absorbed.

(I can report that throwing a generous dollup of good dark rum into the butter sauce just before pouring over the cake has had deeelightful results as well. I'm sure that just about any good liquor would be yummyscrummy)

This message was edited Jun 10, 2007 8:01 AM

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I'll be back and post my crispy coleslaw recipe that always goes to my husband's office parties. Well, I would have brought it, that's close enough, right?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Hey, who made the spectacular ravioli??? Please share, if you're willing to give it up.

Critter, I too have been captured by that tomato-based pasta... :~)

Holly, Just in case you were wondering, when I went to Okinawa I did not leave with a recipe for terriyaki sauce.

This message was edited Jun 10, 2007 12:37 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is the Recipe that was used on the chicken skewers. Marinade for about 20 or 30 mins before cooking. It is also good on vegetable kabobs espec little cherry tomatoes.

Teriyaki Barbeque Sauce (from Okinawa)

Ingredients
½ Cup Soy Sauce
¼ Cup Salad Oil
2 Tabsp Molasses
2 Tabsp Ground Ginger
2 Tabsp Dry Mustard
6 Cloves Garlic, minced

Instructions
Mix all ingredients together. Add any kind of meat (best on Chicken) and let marinade for 20 minutes at room temp. Use as baste while grilling.
Other use.
Make vegetable kabobs with tomato, mushrooms, onions, peppers, (or your favorites) pour over kabobs to coat well let sit 10 minutes and grill. Baste while grilling.

Friend Jane lived in Okinawa or several years and brought this delicious recipe home

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Yes. The ravioli was great and Critter's pasta too. And the two kinds of wings.

Sally, I think that's close enough. LOL

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Hart - I did not make it there but what size cans of corn, I have been down sizing my cooking, since there are only two of us here now. I used to cook for a multitude and am having problems with getting used to an "empty" nest.

Thanks for letting me watch from afar.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Dyson, you'll have to make it to the next one.

Just use regular (16 oz?) cans of corn. I'm sure you could halve the recipe but be sure you use a small baking dish. If it's too shallow in the pan it might get too dry in baking.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Just throwing in another idea for Holly's terriyaki sauce. It would also be delicious for grilled fresh shitake mushrooms. When I lived in Taiwan, that was one of my favorite snack foods from one of the street vendors in town - shitakes, marinated in a terriyaki style sauce on wooden skewers. After taking them off the grill, give a little brush with the sauce again, then sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds over the top. Killer.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

OOPS!
.I did not know this Thread was here. I posted my Pickle recipe on the old "Wants and Haves" Post.

Here it is again:.

Gita’s Refrigerator Dill Pickles

Need: 3 wide-mouthed jars (pickle type), or Mayo.jars
One BIG bunch of fresh Dill
6-8 cloves Garlic (or to taste).finely diced.
10-12 pickling cucumbers (such as Kirby). Fresh is best! Store
cucumbers are WAXED, and no way you can remove it! If you
must use store cukes, score them through the skin with a fork
and slice them thickly. They also have more seeds! But…it will
work if no others are available.

To Do: Stuff jars ¼ full of fresh dill, stems and leaves! Sprinkle a gene-
rous amount of the chopped garlic on top. Mix up a bit.

Stuff jars as full as you can with speared/sliced cucumbers, inter-
spersing them with some more Dill and chopped garlic.

Prepare the Broth: In a 2Qt. saucepan, combine the following:
2 and a half cups water….3/4-1cup white vinegar (can be part
Apple Cider vinegar)…1 rounded, regular Tbs. KOSHER salt (DO
NOT use regular, iodized salt!!!).
1 reg., level Tbs. Sugar, 1tsp mustard seed, 1tsp. Pickling
Spice….1-2 Bay leaves…6-8 pcs. Whole Allspice.

Bring broth to a boil. Lower heat and simmer all, stirring often,
For about 10-15 minutes. Keep very hot until ready to use!

Filling Jars: Stirring constantly, to distribute spices, ladle hot broth,
evenly, into jars until all contents are covered. Seal jars. Invert
each jar a couple of times to mix contents.
Let jars cool to room temperature, and then refrigerate.

Pickles are ready to eat in 2 days! They will be delicious and
crunchy! Use them up in about a month, as they will soften
with time

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh Wrightie, That sounds sooo good. I'll be trying that. We do put mushrooms on the veggie kabobs, but that is a whole other idea.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Here's the thread for Bluekat's roasted tomato sauce, which is the base for the sauce on my red pasta. As noted in my post early in that thread, after I put the sauce through the food mill, I "finish" it to taste on the stovetop over very low heat (bit of sugar, bit of salt, additional herbs, red wine, a little can of tomato paste if it gets thinner than I'd like).

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/544594/

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Critter! (& Bluekat!!!)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

And here's the recipe for the Greek Pasta Salad. The fresh spring oregano in that last batch was a little intense, so I actually split the dressing and veggies into 2 batches and sauced 2 pounds of pasta with it (first batch went up to Pittsburgh the weekend before last)... and looking over it now, I see I forgot the onion...

You may want to play with the proportions, but I think the combination of ingredients works well together. If it ever gets dry on you (it generally stays pretty moist, even overnight), just add a little more vinegar and oil, or pour in some bottled Italian salad dressing.

Jill's Greek Pasta Salad (with fresh herbs and feta cheese)

makes about 12 cups

2-4 fresh garlive cloves
2 c. loosely packed fresh greek oregano leaves (regular oregano is fine, just less pungent)
1 c. loosely packed fresh basil leaves
8 - 12 oz. feta cheese (regular or nonfat, or a combination)
1 1/4 c. balsamic vinegar (not the very cheapest, which is a little harsh)
1/2 c. white wine vinegar (because using all balsamic can get a little overpowering)
1 c. extra vingin olive oil
2 tsp. ground black pepper
1-2 tsp. salt, to taste (the cheese is salty too)
2 cans diced tomatoes, juice reserved
2 cans whole kernel corn, drained
2 cans black beans, rinsed well & drained
1 c. sweet onion, finely diced
1 pound pasta shapes (I like rotini, gemelli,, or farfalle), cooked and drained

For best results, make the dressing a day ahead so the beans get a chance to flavor through before you add the pasta.

For the dressing, mince the garlic and herbs in your food processor until a rough paste forms. Add the vinegars and the juice from the diced tomatoes, and keep the maching running while you drizzle in the olive oil through the feed tube. Add a portion (4 oz.) of the feta cheese, salt, and pepper, and process for a few more seconds. This dressing will keep at least a week in the fridge.

Combine the dressing with the diced tomatoes, corn, black beans, and onion. Refrigerate overnight in a covered container (10 cup tupperware, or 8 cup size if you leave out the corn until adding the pasta).

For the pasta, I like to use gemelli (twists) or farfalla (bow ties). Cook and drain the pasta, and while still warm combine with the dressing mixture. Chill if desired. Crumble the remaining feta cheese and mix into the pasta. I like to reserve a little dressing mixture and a little snow white crumbled feta to put on top of the dish for presentation. Garnishing with sprigs of fresh herbs and edible flowers such as nasturtiums really makes it festive.

If you're not making this for a crowd, use 1 can each of the tomatoes, corn, and beans, and reduce the vinegard to 1 c. total and the olive oil to 1/2 c. Diced smoked turkey breast is a great addition also.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

And here's a link to my two favorite pesto recipes, from The All New Joy of Cooking, http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/627811/

I freeze the pesto in ice cube trays... If I'm remembering correctly, a standard batch makes 8 cubes. For the spread that I brought, I mixed 2 thawed cubes with 1 stick of softened butter (buttery spreads work fine -- the smaller sized tubs of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter take 2 cubes also).

I should mention that I had Miata's cilantro hummus for breakfast today (thank you!!)... I hope that's a recipe she'll share... I promise I'll never bring it to an event we're both attending! My mom hesitated to give out some of her recipes after she told a neighbor how to make a dish... and then when the next neighborhood gathering was being organized, the neighbor promptly piped up and said that *she* would bring the wonderful potato salad that had been Mom's quick, easy, and delicious "thing to bring" for the past 5 years. LOL

Oh, I think it was obvious... but I should mention that I did mix some shredded cheese into the red pasta dish that I made with the "Roastie Sauce" (as we call it around here)... Sam's sells a blend of shredded Italian cheeses that works really well.

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Jill, I'm glad your enjoying the Hummus. By the way that was a triple batch I brought to the swap. Why did we all feel like we were going to feed an army and we were the only people bringing food? :)

Here's the Hummus recipe. You can use more or less jalapeno to taste. I prefer it a little spicier, but this amount seems to be suitable for most people in a crowd. You guy's will wish you took my xtra jalepeno plant at the swap now, this is really easy to make. And remember that many people who don't like like Cilantro or Hummus love this recipe (I myself am not a huge Hummus fan). My favorite pita chips to serve with this is the Athenos Whole Wheat, but I can't find them lately. Second best and what I brought to the swap is Stacey's Simply Naked (hey I didn't name it).

Cilantro Hummus

1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeds removed
1 clove garlic
3/4 cup fresh cilantro
1 1/2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1/4 tsp kosher salt (if using table salt start with much less and salt to taste)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

1. Mince garlic and jalapeno pepper in a food processor.
2. Add all the other ingredients except the olive oil and process until thoroughly combined to a paste.
3. Add olive oil and process until smooth. Add more olive oil if it is too thick.
4. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow flavors to combine (a day ahead is better). Bring back to room temperature before serving with pita chips.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

OMG - I'm officially starved now!!!

miatablu - I forgot to get the pepper from you...my bad!!

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

So your the one. If I had remembered who wanted one, I'da come and hunted you down :)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

... and I bet you were supposed to take a 'Serrano del Sol' pepper plant from me also! :-)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

*sniffling* yes, I was...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

You'll just have to come up to Frederick.... if you're heading up this way soonish, I'll save a couple of plants for you... otherwise, you'll have to come and pick peppers later in the summer!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ohhh...a pickin' peppers party??

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sure -- why not? ;-)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL - I'm just teasin' with you...

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

I am glad that people liked the ravioli dish that I brought; it is a favorite of mine as well. Let me see if I can find the recipe...here it is:

1) Go to Costco and purchase a bag of frozen Spinach Ravioli.
2) Follow the directions on the bag.

The cheese/herb mix is included in the bag and the only thing added was the olive oil. Odd on two accounts: 1) this is one of the few meatless dishes that I enjoy as an entree and 2) my kids have about 5 items that they will eat and who would have thought that spinach ravioli with olive oil would be one of them.

See...that is why I appeared organized. Everybody else was spending all that time in the kitchen whipping up great homemade goodies and I was done in 20 minutes. ;-)

- Brent

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

That is funny, Brent. I was *certain* that they were homemade! Costco strikes again. Thanks for the tip - I'll be picking some up next time I venture up there.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I knew I'd had that before...now I've got to run to Costco to p/u some...hmmm, bet gas is cheaper there now too...yipee a two-fer!

he goes to the food store and fixes it himself--~~swoon~~--

Time to let you down off your tenterhooks.

Crispy Coleslaw from Southern Living- the magazine for people with houses the likes of which I'll never own. The 1987 cookbook, which I have not found a bad recipe in yet, although I've only tried a dozen or so.

1 small head cabbage, shredded, about 1 1/2 lbs
1/2 green pepper thinly sliced
1/2 red pepper thinly sliced
1 medium onion, you guessed it, thinly sliced
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 TB vinegar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp celery seeds

Combine cabbage, peppers, onions and sugar in a large bowl, stir,cover, and chill 2 hours. Combine the rest in a small saucepan, bring to a boil and stir to dissolve salt. Pour over cabbage mixture, stir gently. Cover and chill at least 2 hours before serving. Will keep several days in refrigerator. Says 6-8 servings, but seems to go farther than that at potluck, it makes a pretty big bowlful. It does NOT taste like vinegar which is why I like it. May be too sweet for some but I've had followup requests for it. DON"T get crazy and try red cabbage- it turns a weird pink. Unless you're into weird pink food.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

You were reading my mind. I was just about to poke you with a stick to get you to post this recipe... I've got a hankerin' for some slaw.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

There was a wonderful looking chocolate-cakey kind of thing that I never got a chance to taste. Would to baker be willing to share?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

sallyg, have you ever made your non-weird pink slaw using apple cider or red wine vinegar? I picked up a cabbage from the store and want to make it, but am pretty sure that I'm out of good ol' white vinegar.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Besides all the cool people at this round up, it looks like I missed a whole lot of good food -- darn on both counts. Think I could fly in for next year's? These recipes sound really, really good!

Suzy

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

By all means! You can stay in our guest room... :-)

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh my, Sally. I just finished making your slaw. I found some regular vinegar, afterall. I added shredded carrot and only had a yellow bell pepper and red onion. To that, I added a little bit of fresh hot peppers because I wanted to give it a slight "Chinese" flair - I used to enjoy a very similar dish when I lived in Taiwan. I snuck a taste whilst mixing it up. YUM! Thanks for posting it!

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

I am coming to Wrightie's house for dinner! well, not during rush hour. LOL
-Kim

wrightie- glad you enjoyed it!!
I don't think I've experimented with other vinegars in it, probably the pink experience made me hesitate on red wine vin. Carrots and yellow peppers sound great! If worried about carrots making it weird orange you could add them at the end. Color coordinate to your occasion. It's nice and red-greeny for DH's Christmas lunch.
Did I say yet the pestos and hummus were fantastic? I guess I'm in the cilantro is OK side of the gene pool.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

No weird pink (red onion) or orange (carrots) color bleeding to report.

great! It must have been red cabbage that did it to me. ok it's been two full minutes or more, but I don't dare touch that send again, do I ? maybe I hadn't hit it...ah, now I observe that the highlighting changes when you hit send (i think)

This message was edited Jun 14, 2007 9:24 AM

This message was edited Jun 14, 2007 9:37 AM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL @ being "in the cilantro is OK side of the gene pool." Actually, I am *not* a cliantro fan, but I adore that hummus! Bobbie gifted us with some tasty leftovers, and we polished them off for dinner last night. With Jim working in Frederick these days (hooray!), more often than not we've been eatling like farmers, with our big meal in the middle of the day and sort of "snacking around" at night... so the hummus and the last few wings were just perfect!

BTW, both of those pesto recipes freeze really well, so make a bunch when your basil goes nuts this summer. I like to cut way back on the oil in the red pesto recipe, and then we use it in pizza crust (1 ice cube's worth to one pouch of Betty Crocker crust mix). The reason to cut back on the olive oil is that too much oil makes the dough weird, but you could also make the regular recipe and just schmear it on top of the crust.

Crozet, VA

VA Wildrose made two of the most delicious desserts that I have ever had. One was a hot fudge cake and the other was a dreamsicle cake. Please come out, come out, wherever you are Wildrose. I am sure that these two will be things that I begin making. Sweet tooth? anyone else. ha-ha

The food was great, all the way around. Thanks to all who prepared the wonderful dishes.

Ruby

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.