Planting apple trees

Ravenna, OH(Zone 5a)

We are planning an orchard to be planted next spring. Since Ohio generally has heavy clay soil, my husband wants to dig all the existing dirt out the planting holes and replace it with top soil. I would rather test the existing soil and amend it as needed before planting. Is it better to just replace the soil with top soil and will this give the trees a beneficial head start?

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

I would not replace all the soil. We have clay too, and that is easily 'treated'! Amend it with compost, and when you are ready to plant, add half compost to the soil already there. Planting in only new soil will make the roots curl up in that spot instead of growing out. Clay will turn into a tub if you dig a hole, so keep the soil mixed.
Christie
PS Make sure you are familiar with cross pollination issues and chilling requirements before planting.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

I agree with Christie. We are on very heavy clay and avoid digging holes and replacing with different soil as the water sits in the hole and damages plants. They take a little while to establish in the clay, but once the roots get into it they romp away.

Ravenna, OH(Zone 5a)

What size hole do you recommend, and even if you mix in half compost, how do you avoid the surrounding clay turning into a "tub"?

The only thing that works well here is to plant directly into 100% clay. Dig a hole that is plenty big enough to take the roots comfortably and then refill with the clay you took out when you plant the tree. I then mulch thickly with any vegetable matter to hand, mixed with well rotted manure. This helps to keep the clay moist and not turning to concrete in the summer sun. Top up the mulch as often as needed to maintain a layer of around 8". You can even use neat straw if this is all that's available. The worms and other beasties will work the soil and help the nutrients to filter down. The mulch also avoids the problem of the tree having to compete with grass etc. Put it on in a circle around the tree of about 4'-6' across.

I don't know what your weather conditions are, so this may not work so well for you. We have very heavy rain when it falls, followed by very hot, dry periods in the summer. If I mix other soil into the planting hole at all the plants struggle.

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

What Philomel said, and scratch the edges of the hole, so plant roots don't have to struggle to get through.
You can add wormcastings too, great fertilizer that won't burn hair roots, and they sometimes add a few worms, which speeds up the process of getting your soil good.

Ravenna, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Christy and Philomel! I will take your advice.

Good luck, hope you end up with a good orchard :)

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Now it's gonna be up to Mother Nature to do the rest; you did all your work!
You'll have fruit that'll taste much better than you ever imagined!

Good luck!

Christie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.