streptocarpus the easy way

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

PLEASE CONSIDER THIS:
I am totally innundated with streptocarpus both babies and mature plants. I am giving them away as fast as I can to local people, and the number never seems to shrink!
In order to give you an idea of that happens, I just checked one of the most productive product of two length wise leaf halfs resulted in 1" to 1.5" plantlets : at least thirty,
Gwen at least 15-20, etc. All are not quite that prolific, but if I only get three or four, I consider it a failure. Moonlight is almost irritating in how fast she multiplies. The babies grow larger almost over night.
About three years ago I started out with Cherry Pie, Blue Mars, and Kitten Face. Now, including the leaves that are successful, I probably have more than thirty varieties.
Now let me tell you the simple way I do it.

l. Materials: a flat bottom take out salad box with a hinged lid, perlite, markers (I use venetian blinds) to keep track of the varieties, a sharp clean knife, and good light. I use flourescent lights.
2. Put about l.5" of perlite in the salad box and wet (not soak)the perlite.
3. Place your leave green side down and gently cut out the
rib from bottom to top.
from start to finish.
4. Place your two leaf halves cut side down into the perlite.
You can make a little groove so the leaf is in secure
contact with the perlite.
5. Frequently I don't use a marker for the box but write the
names of the streps on top of the box with a sharpie. Usually a salad box can accommodate four kinds of streps.

6. Snap the lid closed and just leave it. After a month or so they will begin making the plantlets. Allow that to go on for a long time. Finally, when you are very comfortable transplant them into individual containers; I use 8oz styrafoam cups with a couple of holes in the bottom.

7. You will find that once transplanted they will grow very easily. You will have so many lovely mature streps that you will never be stumped as to what you can give someone. Recently I sent ten mature streps in a trade for daylilies; she is thrilled. She is on her way to a collection. When I trade with her again, I will send her more varieties and she WILL have a collection!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Please add all the details you can to http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/103399/index.html
You could put your detailed propagation methods in the comment at the bottom.
Thanks,
Sidney

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

Sidney,
I tried. I copied and pasted on one of those "tell us" places, but it didn't take. You are welcome to try and do it if you can. If your name comes up on it, it's fine with me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.