lilac cuttings

Milton, NH(Zone 5a)

I've been told that all you have to do is cut and plant a lilac shoot. Is that all there is to it? I live in an area where there are numerous lilac shrubs, and the ones I have are amazing, without any attention.
Thanks

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Sarah, I'm going to give you a link I just put on another thread that describes soft-wood cuttings, should work for you although I can't say I've ever tried it on lilac. Hope it helps!

http://extension.missouri.edu/xplor/agguides/hort/g06560.htm#materials

Milton, NH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Pagancat, I'll check it out.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Lilacs will often form what my grandmother called "water sprouts" near the base of the shrub/tree. If you dig one up, generally you can get a little piece of root with it, and then you can pot it up or plant it in a sheltered location (my mom propagates stuff behind her taxis bushes against the house). If possible, my mom says it's a good idea to dig down with a little shovel and sever the shoot from the parent plant without digging it up (put the shovel between the shoot and the trunk of the parent plant, as close to the trunk as possible) ... then leave it in place for another year or so, and the little shoot will grow into a little sapling with a bigger root system before you disturb it by moving it.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Ooo - good idea!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Of course, that's not always practical... I got some little rooted shoots from a wonderful, very fragrant, double white lilac at Hart's yesterday, and since her place is nearly 2 hours away, she just dug them all the way up on the spot! I've got them potted, watered, and in a sem-shaded spot. Actually, what she handed me turned out to be 3 separate pieces, so I've potted them individually... I'm sure crossing my fingers, as I know a friend of mine here would also love one!

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

I've started dozens of trees that have come up as offshoots. I just dig them up when they surface and put them in a pot 'til the end of summer. I don't think I've had a single one not come up the following year (unless it's one I've given away).

Milton, NH(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the help. I'm going to look for shoots this weekend.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Anyone correct me if I am wrong, BUT-----

Hybrid Lilacs, like the French Double and such, are grafted on common Lilac rootstock--are they not?
Therefore, if you dig up one of the sprouts from the roots, you will get the common garden Lilac, NOT the fancy one growing above.

This is true for many plants that are grown on other plants root stocks.

Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Right... but there are plenty of lilacs still available that are grown on their own roots. The one I got from my mom was a pass-along from my great aunt to my grandmother to my mom and then to me, and I think the one I got from Hart recently is an old-fashioned pass-along variety also.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill,

Just another question. Are the "pass-alongs" the regular, purple garden variety or are they the thick flowered, double French type of a Lilac?

I got a rooted cutting from someone at the Swap. She said it was a "double, purple French Lilac". I took it and told her it was for my neighbor. It will be several years before I know what it looks like.

I already have one of those in my garden--many, many years. It is wonderful, but in need of serious rejuvenation. I have cut out 3 of the old stems to almost the ground. We will see if it comes along better.

I guess my question is--can one take a root-shoot and dig it up and have it come true to the Mother Plant? If it is a hybrid, I say--maybe not. If I am wrong, I will gladly admit it.

Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

It doesn't matter if it's a hybrid or not, what matters is -- as you pointed out -- if it was grown on its own roots or if it was grafted. Hart said the lilac she shared with me is a double white (I don't know if that makes it "French"), and I don't think hers is grafted.

The one that I have from my great-aunt is a "garden variety" lilac, but it's a rich, deep purple color that's a little different from the usual ones I've seen, and it's very fragrant.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

That the ones I have dug up are identical to the mother tree. Yes, it is an old heirloom lilac which is exactly what I prefer. I do not think the scent of the hybrids is anywhere near as sweet or strong as the old garden variety lilacs and the perfume is what draws me to the tree more than anything else. :D

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.