need some help please

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

while visiting with my brother and SIL further upstate from where i am she showed me a leaf from her rotadendrum (spelling) that has this brown stuff over it plus some kind of plant that seems to grown wild all over the ground. each little plant has tiny white flowers growing fromj the center. i was not able to catch it with the camera but i was hoping someone could tell me what they are up against here./ thanks

i took 3 pics and will post them all but basically they are all the same.

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

here is another view

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

and here is the third. hope someone out here can help. the leaf from the rotodendrum comes from a nice sized plant that is mainly in the shade but there are plenty of them that are flowering in the shade that do not have the brown stuff on them

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Herbie, not sure what's up with the Rhododendron, but your "little" plant is Starflower (Trientalis borealis) http://www.enature.com/flashcard/show_flash_card.asp?recordNumber=WF0335. It's a prolific bloomer this time of the year in the Northeast.

Debbie

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

It was a hard winter for Rhododendrons, lots of them have leaves like that. It's probably a fungus that took advantage of their weakened state from the weather. There isn't much to be done about it really... keep the fallen leaves picked up. Shrubs in locations with better air circulation don't get fungus as bad, kind of like roses.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

thank you both so much. i knew i could rely on my friends here to get to the bottom of this mystery. LOL

have a great day

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Frank,

My first thought was that it is some kind of rust. I am not a Rhododendron (note the spelling) expert.
Isn't there a Forum for them? Please post it there.

Gita

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Frank,

I went to the Rhododendron Forum. There is a lot of questions about Rhodie problems.

The link I am adding below is to the worst of them all--Read it or send it to your brother. I do not think that this is what the problem is with his Rhodo, but it helps to be educated.

Here's the link provided by ecrane on the other Forum.

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/plantdiseasefs/450-615/450-615.html

Hope this helps. Maybe if you open some of the other links on this site, there may be one for what the leaf looks like that you posted.

Gita

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

thanks gita for that info. i thik claypa hit it on the head.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.