Russia Sage: How to root them?

Round Lake Beach, IL(Zone 5a)

I have a large patch of Russian Sage which is now over running my lavendars. I was thinking of cutting a few down and rooting them, but I don't know which way is better, soft stem or hard stem. I have never tried rooting anything before. I have the Rootone and pots that I have been saving from plants that I have put in the ground.

I have a two aquariums a small one and a very large one that I want to use as a nursery. I also have left over screen that I thought would be good to cover the top...any advise or ideas would be a big help.

Loren

Granbury, TX(Zone 7b)

I broke off a branch when I was weeding around my RS this spring. I just broke the smaller branches off and stuck them in little pots and they rooted just fine.

Round Lake Beach, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you so much for responding to my question Sugarfoot. You are sweet!

Loren

Eureka, CA

They do very well that way! I too have taken prunings, stuck them in a pot, and they've taken off like crazy. Very ez!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I saw this post and now I will just have to try it. I bought a small one today, and I'm going to put it in my herb garden -- but there are 5 foot tall monster ones at work... not much really LOVES it out here in the high desert, but RS grows in this area if you periodically water it. If I could grow mine up enough to take cuttings and also have some cuttings from work, I think this would make a nice wind break (I've got about 300 ft of fence line that I need to do SOMETHING with :-) Thanks for the great info!

Wimberley, TX(Zone 8a)

RS does root very easily & I describe the flowers as neon blue. I have a new flower bed that I want to be blue & yellow (Blanco's school colors are blue & gold)...I have xemenia, artemsias, yellow lantana and blue salvias out there, oh, and a yellow esperanza, and some other plant I got at a trade show...forgot what it is, the blooms are supposed to be blue...hope so.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Can you give me an idea how long they take to root? It makes me feel better to have a general idea so I don't think I'm a failure after 2 weeks when it normally takes 6. LOL!

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

This is one that I've had success with rooting in water even. I wouldn't do them all that way, but one might try a slip or two while doing it the usual way in your peat/perlite or whatever mix you like to use. I think I'll cut more tomorrow to root in water again and see how it goes.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

I have them sprouting anywhere that I used the cut down bits for mulch from the previous year. I think if you just take heel cuttings and bury them in your compost pile or similar loose material with some moisture over winter they will produce nice plants the next year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.