Poinciana pods

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I'm posting this here, because it is a propagation question, but I will probably post in the tropical gardening forum as well, depending on what kind of responses I get. I have some seed pods from a gorgeous pink - yes pink poinciana that I want to try to grow. The last time I did this, I opened the pods, set them in boiling water, and let them sit overnight. Does anyone know of a better way - or something else I should do? With our heat and rain, I generally just put the seeds outside in a fairly protected area until they look big enough to handle the sun....again, any better suggestions? I REALLY want these to grow - so any and all help will be welcome. Here is a pic of momma:

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Okay....I have been corrected, it is a caesaliapina - and I'm sure I spelled that wrong, but my question is still valid....Any help out there?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've bought Caesalpinia seeds from Garden Store n More, Tricia has a description on the website of her coffee filter/baggie method which she recommends for these--scroll down the page in this link and you'll see a description of the method
http://www.gardenstore-n-more.com/servlet/the-template/about/Page

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Wow, tons of good info! Thank you! You say you have purchased from her....would you recommend? I'm always looking for a good supplier!

Thanks again!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Definitely--she's great. She's in the Watchdog 30 which is the best of the best from Garden Watchdog so definitely nothing to worry about in terms of quality, customer service, etc. The only think to check on is whether she ships outside the US or not, it probably says somewhere on the website whether she will or not.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Cool beans! Thanks again,

Yokwe,
Shar

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.