coffee filter germination

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

A friend of mine has been advocating this for years, but I just tried it.
I germinated morning glory seeds which germinated in about 36 hours. I put them into pots today to place around in strategic places.

Also, I germinated hollyhock seeds and I am thinking about planting them directly where I want them to be tomorrow and keeping them moist for a good while. In addition, I am trying to germinate all my old Shasta daisy seeds. Marconi double is doing very nicely and I planted them out today. This is so much fun! I have seeds placed all over the house that I want to try!

Does anyone have much experience with this? Or have any suggestions?

Greensboro, AL

Hi gloriag:

I use the unbleached coffee filters. I use them to germinate seeds, and I also use them in the bottom of pots to keep the soil from coming out of the drain holes. To germinate seeds I soak the filter briefly in a solution of 2 c hot water with 1 tsp. H2O2, Hydrogen Peroxide. Then I stack the filter (s) in a colondar to drain. Place the seeds on 1/2 of the filter. Fold over and put in a zip lock back. Germinate according to temperature requirements. Some go in the refrigerator, some near a north facing window in my kitchen on the back of the counter on a tray. Check daily because they will germinate faster than you think.

If any little tails grow into the paper, dont try to pull them out. Just tear or cut the paper and plant along with the germinated seed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.