Spare seeds for a fab project.

Ballintleva, Ireland

Hi everyone,
I have recently met a quite inspirational lady who lives in Darwen in Lancashire.
She is the secretary of a rural community association who are aiming to raise 60K to have the kids play park refurbished, as the borough council won't refurbish it !
They are only a small rural community, (there are only 30 houses, 5 cottages and 3 farms!) and are aiming to sell plants in their Annual Community Fun Day on August 25th to raise funds.
All the residents are going mad growing plants to sell!

Being such short period before the day, I have suggested annuals and provided her with some information on how to grow them etc, and of course told her about DG !

Could I ask if anyone has a few spare seeds that they know would grow in time for the summer to post them to her. If you can D-Mail me, I will send you her address.
She is doing such a lot of work for the community, I would hate to see her buying seeds!

Sue

Yorkshire,

Hi Sue!
How about fuchsias from cuttings, and also impatiens (Bizzy Lizzie's) and surfinias. All of these root very easily in a glass of water and would make plants much faster than growing from seeds (it's a bit late for that now). There are lots of things she could grow from cuttings at the moment if she doesn't waste too much time.
I can send her an abundance of them if she's interested.
dmail me her info ;o)

Terri

Ballintleva, Ireland

Hi Terri
Sounds like a great idea - I will send you her address now
Sue

PS...your plants are looking wonderful - I will send you a pic of the new woodland bed as soon as it's finished!

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

But also, what about sending seeds for plants for the refurbishment? Perhaps growing some of their own plants for the area would help their 60K go further. I don't really have annual seeds, but could easily contribute perennials - just harvested some lovely hellebore seeds I'd be happy to send on.

Ballintleva, Ireland

Hi Laurie
I think that she would be really happy to recieve anything that you would send her, and it's alway good to be introduced to a new plant that you haven't tried growing before....especially hellebores ...(they are my favorite - take a while to germinate, but once they flower...truly gorgeous !)
I will d-mail her address to you in a moment.

Meanwhile...a litle news - Linda has joined DG, so she can join in the fun, no doubt she will be on here soon....when she figures it all out

Sue

Darwen, Lancashire, United Kingdom

Hiya Guys

First of all I would like to say a big big heart felt thank you to Willow and Terri, for their support.

A little about our project:

We are only a small rural community, made up of 30 houses, 5 cottages, 3 farms and 3 big houses.

Our aim is to raise 60k for the kids play park, as the Borough council won’t do it. They have told us, if we want it bringing in line with all the others within the Borough, we have to fund it. 60K is just for the play equipment and relevant safety flooring. We need another 30K to have the play field drained.

But our ever caring Borough Council keep changing our goal posts. Adding on things we need, which ups the amount we need to raise. i.e. disabled access with bollards (£2,500), and an extra self closing gate (more cost) I have applied for a grant to pay for the path and bollards, then we were told by the council we have to apply for planning permission for the path.

I am a determined, stubborn owd mare, I will not give up.

It is with the help and support of kind people, such as Willow & Terri and the support of the locals that keep the Residents Group going.

Take Care & Stay Safe

Thumbnail by thepresentwife
Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hi Linda,

I have quite a few spare seeds of mainly perrenials, if thats of any use to you, if you've got people willing to grow them on?

Also, have you applied to the youth service, to enquire about any funding or grants? I know here in Dorset we have a youth opportunities fund, applied for by the young people. Might be woth enquiring at your local youth office.

Darwen, Lancashire, United Kingdom

Hiya Sueone.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I took a week out and went on vacation. (Did nowt but rain)

Many Thanks for the offer, I would love to take you up on it. Willowandspike has my postal address if you would like to contact her, she will pass it on to you.

Many Thanks indeed, it is much appreciated.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.