Baby Hostas

Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

I planted some hosta seeds a while hback and they germinated pretty well for me. They are about 1/2-3/4" tall right now, inside under lights. In a week or so I will be emptying out my cold frame and I'm wondering if I can move them outside (I want to turn off my lights soon-everything else has been planted). When would it be save to put them out-the cold frame is shaded and protected?
Thanks-
Deb

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

Deb, I germinate them under lights also, but I don't move them out until I've potted them in a six pack or 1 1/2" pot. into either a shaded greenhouse or coldframe. Jim

Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

Thanks Jim! I'll give them a little more time-they took a while to get started, but seem to be growing quite quickly now.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

With a name like Hostajim I'm thinking you're just the guy to ask about keeping hosta seedlings as true as possible. Is there anyway (short of self-pollinating) to pass along certain traits of the parent plant to it's offspring? I think I'd like to give this a go next year and want to hedge my bets if at all possible.

Thanks!
La

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

La, keeping them true to type? I think on a lot of Hostas that would be a oxymoron ( not sure of definition ) but there always seem to be hidden genes popping up and so much sporting. that's why Tissue Culture was such a boon to hosta growers. and then that doesn't always work IE. Dorothy Benedict. I just bought Gunthers Prize from NC. he said out of 1200 tc babies he got 100 GP. Jim

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

I had read that most "home grown" hosta are usually a shade of green but that sometimes seed from a blue hosta will produce a gold seedling, and that variegated ones rarely variegarte if the varigation is on the outside of the leaves and....and.....and.....

LOL it sounds pretty much like pretty much of a hit and miss proposition. Still it might be fun to see what I come up with. Thanks for the response!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.