Climbing Plant

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Been on vacation last week so I missed all the lastest news. The weather was SUPER.
Now down to business. The slope garden is coming in slowly but is looking good. The DL are all showing good growth, except for the Shady Lady. I don't know what the problem is with it, it just isn't doing anything. It isn't dead but then again it isn't showing any new growth. My first lily bulb has finally poked above ground, and I have been taken off the "they ain't goin to grow, I must have planted them upside down" watch.
My question is about what I could plant at the bottom of a 8 foot 4x4 post that has my birdhouse on top. I put in some Morning Glorys that poked their head up and then said "thats all folks" and died. This garden gets afternoon sun. I was thinking about a harlequin honeysuckle for the area. I want something that will show nicely every year.
What are your thoughts?
Chuck

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

How about a Trumpet Vine? They attract hummers, I just planted one but I have no idea if it will survive. However, it does say zone 4.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/644/index.html

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Pixie, I took a look at the web page and the people who were not happy with it.

On Aug 31, 2006, Bexter from Woods Hole, MA wrote:
Some people think that a native plant can never be called "invasive", but that's mixing up terms. Virginia creeper is not an "exotic" invasive, but it certainly can be a "native" invasive if it chokes and kills trees, or squeezes out all other vegetation in an area.
Some people think an "invasive" or "rambunctious" plant won't be a problem if they themselves are going to plant it in a place where it won't get out of control.
Well, even if it may not cause trouble for YOU, take note when you see trees in your area being levelled by vines.
So please think twice before planting something that many people in your area consider an invasive. Thank you!

I hope you don't have this type of problem. If it attracts ANTS, I want no part of it. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Chuck

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I see that now....Lordy what have i done?? LOL
I am hoping that it won't be invasive here....most of the responses are from Southern growers, a few Mass. but no Mainer's. Maybe our winters are to tough? I can hope can't I????

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

I did read elsewhere that it is easier to control when you have cold winters. Another idea was to plant in a 5 gal bucket with the bottom cut out. This way it can't spread underground. It looks really pretty. I've done everything but put on a HUMMINGBIRD suit to try and get them to come to my place. No luck! Hope your get them.
Chuck

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Put on a Hummingbird suit? LOL

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I think there are some varieties that are not as invasive. I've looked at it and would really like to plant one, too

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Clematis.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hi guys, I haven't been posting on this forum lately, just looking, since I can't quite figure out if I belong here or Mid-Atlantic. I use a lot of climbers since my garden is small so the only place I have to go is up.
Pixie I did plant trumpet vine once and then when I read how big it got I did pull it out. I've seen a beautiful Trumpet Vine grown on a 30' long 6' high fence at the local pool. You really need space for this one.
dogwalker, You mention Virginia creeper when referring to the Trumpet vine. They are 2 different plants. The virginia creeper is also a huge plant not suitable for a small area. I did purchase a variegated variety of virginia creeper that is not very robust. It has green and white leaves, very pretty, but after 6 years it has never reached more then 3' and looks ratty by fall.
My suggestion is the native honeysuckle, Lonceria sempervirens. I trim mine back in the spring to keep it in it's space. The yellow flowered variety I have, cultivar John Clayton is less vigorous than the red cultivar Blanche Saunders. It does attract hummingbirds.
I also have a nice bell flowered clematis with pretty reddish stems and delicate leaves that blooms all summer you might like called Betty Corning. You will have to surround the post with chicken wire or something similar for it's small tendrils to climb on.
The photo shows the 3 climbers together.

Thumbnail by sempervirens
Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I had a trumpet vine against a 5 foot wall when I lived in Indiana. It was showy, but after it threatened to take over the neighborhood, my wife made me remove it.

Clematis seems like a nice choice for your post. I am trying to decide which one to get for an armillary sundial I have just constructed.

Morning glories do fine here, and reseed themselves generously, but flowers do close later in the day.

I have a Serotina (red) honeysuckle growing well on a partly shaded trellis. No problems (yellow honeysuckles seem much more agressive) but I wish the flowers lasted longer.

I am trying some annual black-eyed susan vines this year on another trellis. So far, not much growth.

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
After some research I choose "Lonicera Periclymenium" (I copied that - I'm not up on latin) Harlequin Honeysuckle.
It's a pretty plant with the leaves being different colors and the flowers are very scented. The main thing that I liked was that it can be controlled. I hear that some of these honeysuckles get out of hand. This is a solwer growing one and should look nice growing up the pole to the bird house.
The only problem I had is that waiting till after Mem day weekend I had to go to Oregon to find a decent sized one at a good price.
Chuck

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

We have one in the back yard - very healthy and happy - waiting three years for DH to plant it! Want to drive down and get it?

xxx, Carrie

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Carrie,
Being a (I hope) a DH I can only say been there, done that! You have to understand, a male must weigh all the options, look at the subject from all angles, consider unseen dangers, think about what will happen to the direction of mankind, if he takes any action too soon.
My kids are in their mid 20's and I'm still wondering what I want to do after high school.
Don't give up on him, I'm sure he has it on his to do list.
Chuck

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, I'll never give up on him. He's it.

xxx, Carrie

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Chuck, You seem to have done fine. I would have thrown a climbing rose in as a possibility.
Dave

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Dave, funny that you mention roses. Years ago before I got married, We rented an apartment from a lady who loved roses. She encouraged me to plant them. I had one of the finest collections in the town. Problem was that when I got married I left and the roses stayed. My house in Marlboro doesn't have much room so I have to be picky about what I plant. I have had roses there and they have done OK. My favorite was a Don Juan (red climber) that was so fragent. Then something got at the roses and within 2 years they were all dead.
I did consider a climber for the birdhouse but I didn't want it to die after a couple of years. The other thing was I had to be revived after I saw the prices they were getting for a good sized climber.
Thanks for the suggestion although.
Chuck

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

They don't usually die after 2 years. Good luck!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Unless you've paid a lot of money for it!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

LOL.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.