Northeast Gardening: Climbing Plant, 1 by sempervirens

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright sempervirens

In reply to: Climbing Plant

Forum: Northeast Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Climbing Plant
sempervirens wrote:
Hi guys, I haven't been posting on this forum lately, just looking, since I can't quite figure out if I belong here or Mid-Atlantic. I use a lot of climbers since my garden is small so the only place I have to go is up.
Pixie I did plant trumpet vine once and then when I read how big it got I did pull it out. I've seen a beautiful Trumpet Vine grown on a 30' long 6' high fence at the local pool. You really need space for this one.
dogwalker, You mention Virginia creeper when referring to the Trumpet vine. They are 2 different plants. The virginia creeper is also a huge plant not suitable for a small area. I did purchase a variegated variety of virginia creeper that is not very robust. It has green and white leaves, very pretty, but after 6 years it has never reached more then 3' and looks ratty by fall.
My suggestion is the native honeysuckle, Lonceria sempervirens. I trim mine back in the spring to keep it in it's space. The yellow flowered variety I have, cultivar John Clayton is less vigorous than the red cultivar Blanche Saunders. It does attract hummingbirds.
I also have a nice bell flowered clematis with pretty reddish stems and delicate leaves that blooms all summer you might like called Betty Corning. You will have to surround the post with chicken wire or something similar for it's small tendrils to climb on.
The photo shows the 3 climbers together.