NEEDED: An expert in pruning figs.

Longboat Key, FL

Almost all of my figs are growing down south -- where this is not a problem.

I over-wintered this (and its sister plant) way up North in NJ. I must admit that I was trying something new up here, and just heavily insulated the base. It froze -- from the top, down.

I pruned down to where the cambium layer started showing green -- and stopped there. But, as the photo evidences, the robust growth is coming from a lower branch -- and nothing from the upper stem.

Now, should I just lop-off the upper stem -- even though its cambium layer is green?

Help

: )

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Saint Clair Shores, MI(Zone 6b)

I'm certainly no expert, but I have read (in the GW forums) that cutting off older growth early in the spring can have a detrimental effect upon the overall health of a fig.

I've got about 3 feet of similar growth on one of my outdoor figs and shoots coming from almost ground level as you have. I'm leaving mine alone and think you should too.

~Chills

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

As long as all danger of freeze is over, it is OK to prune off the dead branches. This gives the plant a chance to start healing the wound. There is no need to coat the wound. The current recommendation is not to do so.

Longboat Key, FL

I left one, and lopped one off.

That way I am, at least, half-right

Thanks guys -- and be well

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi flyboyFL --- Abandoned us for the north again? LOL Last year I was having problems with my Brown Turkey and if you can recall I was having the same problem with the growth. It died all the way down and it just did not like the spot it was in! I cut off the entire stem except for about five or six inches re-planted it in a container, gave it some dolomite lime as suggested by DG'ers and it is doing real well. Since then I have purchased two more.
PS -- If you ever fly into North Perry airport stop in and say "Hi!" You fly right over me when you use the east to west runways as we are the large mobile home on school grounds.

Thumbnail by Tplant
Longboat Key, FL

Tpant~

Thanks for the invite. I wrote it down.

I left some real juicy-looking figs down there in Florida -- but, now, up here, all I have is new growth.

All comes to he who waits -- I hope.

Be well

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.