Dicentra spectabilis seeds "bleeding hearts" -advice?

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Okay - the plant file says I should let the seed pods dry on the plants - but they just fall off. they are green - not dry. Should I save these or toss them? The pods are about 3/4 of an inch long (I thought these were the seeds!) and quite narrow. If there are viable seeds, they must be very tiny. Does anyone have experience with these?

Eureka, CA

I've been wondering the same thing, as this time of year here has produced many pods. This weekend, perhaps, I'll go take a good look at them. Any others with advice?

Sanna

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Seandor, I took knee highs and slipped them over the stem with the pods and tied them on, and just kept an eye on them. After a few weeks I cut the stem off and the knee high was hold the seeds.

Hope that helps you for next year. Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

Connie

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I think that is a great idea!

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks Sean, One of the ladies from one of the swaps I did suggested it to me. It works great, but boy it looks so funny seeing my knee highs waving in the air rofl. I have some on my delphinum, didn't know about it in time last year and missed alot of seeds. but this year I am hoping to collect quite a few ;o)

Connie

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

oh - it works for delphiniums too? That's wonderful - I planted delphiniums this year. I don't think it will bloom this year, but when it does, I will be ready with knee-highs!

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

I think it would work with just about any type of plant that has the pods.

Have a Happy & safe 4th of July everybody.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.