Kumquats and seeds

Ligonier, PA(Zone 6a)

I know it is best to have root stock for kumquats. What I would like to know is can you start them from seed or do you need to start them from cuttings to get the same tasting kumquat? If you start them from seeds how low of a temperature will they be able to take?
Thanks.

Longboat Key, FL

Can't help in this department -- but I have the greatest tasting (and producing) kumquat down in Florida. It's the more oval fruit, and sweet. I won't be back until mid-October, but I'd be happy to sent you some cuttings, then.

: )

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Kumquats are relatively hardy and should do well in Santa Fe as you are still within the Citrus growing belt of Texas. To get the same taste, you would have to start with a cutting or grafted tree. I don't know how far you are from Rosenberg, but Caldwell Nursery has the Meiwa variety which in my opinion tastes better than the Nagamii. They may also be able to order a dwarf variety for you. Dwarf citrus are difficult to get here in Texas especially if you want to grow it in a pot.

Growing from seed is fun, but it may take up to 15 years before you get fruit and then you can't tell what you'll get. They are slow growers. So if you are in a hurry, purchase the largest tree you can afford. I remember my grandfather had an ancient kumquat tree that was no taller than 10' - 12' tall.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.