Is it hot enough for ya?

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

What a difference a couple days makes!! From frost to swealtering. I'm not sure of the exact temp here in AuGres but it sure felt like 90 or close to it. I bet my tomatoes and pepper plants are loving it. I got the whole vegetable garden planted with hubbys help. He's on vacation this week. Whatever was left over I donated to the neighbor down the road...........including the flat of mystery vegetable that Vern can't remember what he bought and no sticker on it. ha ha ha

We stretched a million miles of hose out to the veggie garden to do a little watering. I'm hoping my son the plumber will have time to put me in another outside hose spigot so I can water the flowers around the house with it instead of disconnecting the hose out to the garden.

Enjoy the nice weather. It's almost June and summer is short. We have a newborn fawn out in our field. It is so little and cute. It stays hidden in the grass but we spotted it getting up to stretch it's legs from time to time. The hummingbirds were buzzing me in my orange top yesterday reminding me to put my feeders up so I did. They're happy campers now. :)

How are your plants and everything doing? Treeclimber (Kathy) mailed me my Christmas gift........4 clumps of the most beautiful and health daylilies! I have them in the ground and they are so very happy. Thanks Kathy!!

I'm posting a pic of my little granddaughter that we spent some time with today at our house. She will be 1 on June 2. She keeps us busy. Hubby has passed out in the recliner from exhaustion trying to keep up with her.

Happy Gardening everyone!!

Brenda

Thumbnail by Loon
La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh Loon what a cutie :) and yes it has been soooo hot. I was almost tempted to turn the AC on, but I am enjoying this while it lasts.

dh said no hose running so I have to put the buckets in my wagon and haul it out back :( But its worth it. Can let it all burn up or dry up and blow away.

Happy Gardening,
Connie

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Ahhh, your baby fawn will love the daylillies. His mama will show him where to eat.
We are all loving this weather! Warm and breezy here. Can't get enough of this.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

It was cooler today and we had a brief shower this morning giving all the plants a little drink. I planted the daylilies inside the picket fence. So far the only one who has crossed that fence has been the pesky rabbit. I keep hoping he'll be someone's dinner soon. I do spray everything with Liquid Fence and that works pretty good to keep the deer and rabbits at bay.

It's supposed to stay cooler for at least the next week and we're supposed to be gettting rain off an on.

I usually put all my watering cans in the back of my RTV and fill them and drive out to the veggie garden to water when I have to. The hose works better though but I hate the look of it. Once the garden gets going good it will have to fend for itself unless we have a long period of drought. I had put tons of leaves in there and chopped them up so all that organic material should keep the soil more moist. I plant everything so close together the leaves shade the ground too holding in moisture.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Brenda what a doll I now have a roof on my deck it's wonderful and it gets a breeze shooting thrue it so I can go and relax after work and after I garden in the sun I love it
Gloria

Algonac, MI

GORGEOUS GRANDDAUGHTER, Loon!
I know what you mean by installing a water access in the "outback" of your property. I have to install on for us because I am tired of dragging 225' of hose around.
I'm one of those "lucky" people. I can do the plumbing myself. The major problem of putting in a fitting closer to our garden is that I am usually to pooped to do the work after taking care of the garden.
I gotta dig under the back sidewalk FIRST and just thinking about that tires me out. Ain't worth the price of renting a backhoe. I have to dig a 12" channel for about 70'. Thinking about THAT really tires me out. I gotta do all that before I can even think of laying pipe with [very thick] insulation around it to prevent freezing. In fact...I am wore-out right now just typing about these miseries.

Yeah yer right! "June is busting out all over" and....IT AIN'T EVEN JUNE.
About that "pesky rabbit"...think first! Rabbits make great gumbo.
Have a wonderful day because it belongs to you.
Later!

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I have thought about having a shallow well dug and just run an electric line out to operate the pump. Not sure how well that would work but I think it would be easier than running pipe out there. My son is a plumber and could do the work but he's so busy that it's hard to catch him to do anything. I'm still waiting for another outside hose spigot to be put on the other side of the house.

Last summer the garden did well on it's own with no watering. Mother Nature did it for me pretty much. I'm hoping the same will happen this year. If it gets a decent drink one a week or every ten days it will be fine.

Brenda

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

beautiful little girl loon, some day we will be grandparents. Im looking forward to it. But Im not old enough yet... lol. Is all that land your behind the fence? Wow. thats alot to take car of. The weather here today very rainy and cooler. its only about 70. But we still had a great day I got to see my dad and his wife for the day it was a great dat and I still have two days off. Maybe gardening time on sunday dont know for sure. Have a great holiday weekend. Ronna

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Ronna,

Yes that is our land. We have 28 acres. Twenty acres are in woods behind the house and we have 8 acres cleared. I mow the 8 acres minus the 60 x 300 pond we put in last year. Mowing is one of my favorite things to do! I just love to mow. I can sit on that mower for hours and be sad when I run out of grass to mow. Ha ha ha. I know, I'm weird. I only have one flower bed out front. It is 15 x 45. I did put in a large vegetable garden that is 30 x 50 with a fence around it to keep out the deer.

Glad you got to visit your dad and had a great day. Hope you get your gardening in today. We've been working on cleaning out our pole barn for 3 days now and we're still now done. We can see light at the end of the tunnel though. :)

Brenda

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Hiall hope you have a grate M. day take time to reflect on those that have gone befor us. I worked all day then came home and planted my Disneyland and Honey de jon (spelt wrong) what a beautiful evening.
Gloria

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

oh you know there is always time for gardening. It rained here on sunday most of the morning then finally it stopped!!!! With the first rays of sunlight I was out the door. :):):) I had some plants to move. They needed new homes. Still have some dividing to do on some but that a nother day huh. I got hungry and had to feed mt face.Have a great monday everyone. Ronna

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Loon.........My goodness....that is the prettiest flower I have seen growing in your garden....and I love the color pink......what a doll baby.....can eat that child with a spoon....

Deann

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks Deann!! Come visit me when you get time. We aren't that far apart you know. Hope all is going well over on your side of AuGres.

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Loon......strange as it may seem I am up to my chin with all sorts of stuff around here, and as soon as I can get this garden sorted for the summer I promise you I will be by to admire your garden.....

By the way......did you see the sale that Glen's is having.......full flats at $6.99 and hanging baskets for the same price.....I get there every year in Standish at 6am for that sale.......they have very nice baskets and plant material.....maybe I will catch ya there....

Deann

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Whoops........Loon...forgot to tell you the day.......This coming Thursday

Deann

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks for telling me Deann. I'll be sure to go over there. I need a few groceries for the baby's birthday party on Saturday anyway so I might as well go to Glens and buy some more flowers. I have an old handmade toolbox that belonged to my Dad who has been gone since '63. When I cleaned out Mom's house I kept that for some reason..........just something to remember him by. I decided I would buy some geraniums and pot them up in there and display it. It even has drainage holes drilled into the bottom of it. I had to dump out all kinds of old metal nuts and bolts and stuff and wash it out but now it's set to go. I thought about painting it but kind of like to leave it the way he had it. Not sure where I'll set it though. I like to keep the yard as clear as I can for mowing but maybe up on the deck or something.

We're still cleaning the pole barn :( I'm just taking a break to feed Mom. We're almost done though. What a job. It won't be this bad again though. I had to go through all kinds of boxes of junk that got moved up here and never opened it up.

Chat later,

Brenda

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

brenda she is beautiful!!!!!!! i think she and my GD would have a ball together!

ive been so busy here i dont know if i will ever slow down!!!!!

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

dori, good to see you......I have not died and gone to heaven yet....I just have been sooo busy......have not had time to come on line and play in Dave's.....

Deann

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi Deann, how's your garden doing? We have not been north yet, hopefully in June. We will have a lot of grass to cut when we get there, lol.

Cindy

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

hemlady.......garden is coming along nice.......got lots of green leaves where my lilys are.....hopfully in two or three weeks I will have blooms.....I am still working on my garden inside of the picket fence.....its a never ending battle........I need to go to my pet cemetary and clear that or it will be too overgrown.......I need help.....

deann

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I know what you mean Deann. It is a never ending battle. I am battleing quack grass in my flower beds. I am going to have to get my grass killer and try that again. Didn't seem to do the trick last year when I used it but I'll give it another try. The tansy you gave me last year is looking wonderful. It loves it's new home. I haven't been north yet to see how the other plants survived. Hopefully the deer have not had dinner on them.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i luv the past few days HOT HOT and HOTTER!

going back outside-pools open and the boys are swimming the past few days
70 degreez to cold for me!

HAVE FUN TODAY

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Dori.....you can have this hot hot weather.....80 degrees is fine for me.........AJ and I planted two lines of pumpkins from the big blue barn down to where my greenhouse is this morning.......after that, we came in....just too hot.....we also have the rest of that field planted in sweet corn.........so keeping fingers crossed it will grow this time.

Deann

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

i agree with deann i dont like the hotter weather either cant sleep we do not have central air. sure cant bake anything all you can do is sweat!!!!! That even takes some doing. I even like the mid 70s. Fine with us. (we do have window air conditioners) it even take alot to do my favorite thing in the summer and that gardening. oh well thats michigan for ya" gotta love it or leave it and i dont think we'll be leaving Ronna

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Yeah, too cold in the winter....too hot in the summer....but it makes you appreciate those wonderful days inbetween.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Never to hot for me! This is why i stay here in Michigan!!!
I wait all winter(forever)for this warmth to arrive and i will NEVER say its to hot-not ever! If it gets to warm we head to the pool(now 75)and SPLASH!
Yesterday i stuck my feet in to cool down a tad-the boys dove right in! I have been getting the new shade gardens looking good

The iris are blooming like crazy and i had 2 daylilies bloom already
Getting ready to head outside for the day-luving it here in Bay City!!

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

It must have hit the 90's here yesterday, dh got up and walked out side came in shut all the windows and doors and turned the AC on. I was in and out all day long, came in just long enough to cool off and right back out there I went,

Getting ready to head out as soon as I throw some clothes on, something got into the garden last night and dug up all my bulbs and daylilies and snap dragons :( Knocked over one of my big pots and discovered I had 2 extra bulbs I didn't know I had lol. So got to straighten that mess up then I have some vines to plant and caladiums to pot up. You all have a great great day, stay cool.

Connie

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

after all that work didnt it make you sick? youve been working so hard. Sure hope it wasnt to big of a mess> . We really dont have any deer or wild animals around our house we live in the city. Once in a while we will get a visiting skunk but thats about it. oh yeah we get lots of birds. well good luck we have sewer pipe repairs on our docete (sp) for tomorrow. so wish us luck. Ronna

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Deann,

I went to Glens for that plant sale. I got one basket for $6.99 and some geraniums for .99 each. The flats of flowers were more than $6.99 though. I really didn't need any flats though since Vern bought all mine earlier in the season from Blocks downstate. The petunias are starting to bloom now.

I hope we get the rain they've been promising we'd get. Everything needs a drink. My veggie garden is doing good. Corn is up and so are the cukes and squash and beans. 'Maters are looking good as are the peppers and broccoli and collards. I can't wait till everything is ready to eat. Got lots of cabbage too.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

oh Loon where did you say your garden is and by the way what time do you go to bed????????lol
Gloria

P.S. havent been cooning in a long time

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Gloria,

You don't have to sneak in the garden just come on by. We planted waaaaaaaaaaaay too much as usual so I'll have tons to give away. We are going to have squash and zuchinni and cabbage coming out of our ears!! I forget what all we planted. One flat was a mystery vegetable my husband bought. Didn't have sticker on it. We know from the list I gave him it's either cauliflower or brussel sprouts. Ha ha ha. Oh well, it's fun.

Brenda

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Loon...........Are you sure about the flats at glens......I was there at 6am....and I only paid 6.99 a flat unless you were looking at something else.......I got 3 hanging baskets.........would you believe 2 Wave Petunia's and a Geranium hanging basket......I got a flat of petunia's and a flat of impatiens........

Thumbnail by deann
Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Here is the other basket....I have them hanging on either side of my greenhouse

Deann

Thumbnail by deann
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I paid .99 a piece for 4 geraniums that were small. I bought one hanging basket for $6.99 and the flats were listed as so much for two cell packs. Not flats. I forget now but added up it would have been much more for a flat. Maybe I had a different checkout person or something. I didn't really need any flats. I only needed one more basket and some geraniums so it was OK. I didn't get there till around ten or eleven I think.

Your basket is very pretty!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.