deadheading

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Cheeky pic. LOL

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Here is that hibiscus....I love it....

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Carol - its gorgeous! I would love to have one! I was just out looking at my garden in the morning light....my favorite time to work outside - and I noticed one of my hibs....a beautiful deep pink/purple - has scale really bad! I sprayed with this homemade combo I have....has worked in the past, but whow....this was a really bad infestation! Wish me luck! I'm going to try to e-mail you today about a hoya....that is if I get a chance....seems like every moment has a plan attached to it! :-)

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I saw this one today at a Bot Garden, real High Why Ann colors (that is my southern drawl coming out)>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Oh man!! I really like the colors on that one!!!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Yep, it's a keeper Pepper.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I went to Leu Gardens in Orlando today, took 130 photos, keep about 60. This is a keeper too, it is Mexican Heather (Cuphea if you want to look it up)>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I always shoot things/subjects twice, to get the best angle, to see the plant's character>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Usually only show one (only keep one)>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

This is a sunflower, very nice grey leaves, but, same old yellow w/black eyed flower. Wasn't in bloom.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Most places I focus my camera on the flowers>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I know some folks don't like my large photos, because they don't fit the small page of this site, but, do you have any idea how much time it would take to cut them down? And then I would have two sets of photos, one full size, the other smaller. That is a lot of file space

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

There is an unusual palm in this photo, unusual to folks in the tropics. John or Shari?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

And the plant tag>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Here my favorite native small palm, Silver (or blue) Palmetto>

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Dale - beautiful! Love the palmetto. Which was the carnady? The tall one on the left or the shorter one on the right? Palms look so much alike that if you hadn't put the tag there, I would have sworn they are all over our island.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

REALLY nice photos, Dale!!!! Do you get the cycad scale there in FL?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

The Chinese scale will kill Sago and Queen Sago. We don't have any other scale, just on them. Have the Island's cycad population been invaded by a different/new pest?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

If you mean the big island...I believe Carol was talking earlier about a pest that is really hurting the plant life, but I don't remember details. If you mean Kwaj - we seem to keep things under some control, but many cycads around here are incredibly brown. I just can't walk up to strangers and say...gee, somethings wrong with your plant, why don't you fix it? I'm hoping Carol will take it easy today, so she may not post an answer to your question right away.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Perhaps it is the same problem, different name!!! It is a white scale attacking the undersides of the leaves...kills the plant eventually. As soon as the leaves (OK, fronds) become affected we cut them off and new growth comes. Awful mess! Malathion works....but that would be SO toxic!!! and it would only come back.

Hey...BTW...Amonium Sulphate DOES work on the Boston Fern WEEDS. Fast, too!!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yeah! One problem solved! Several more to go.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Since I am in the business I can walk up to people and say you need to fix that. Then I say 'And will only cost you $95. And I can do it on Wednesday.'

If you mix your bug killer with horticultural oil it will be much more effective, I know some folks recommend Sesame Oil. And wear protective gear. That is why I use Neem oil. I can use a dust mask, gloves and long sleeves and not have to worry about an early death. Very few natural remedies will kill humans - bugs can't build up a tolerance to them. Lastly, you really have to soak the stem and root area, those pests attack the trunk and roots near the surface too.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I didn't know sesame oil worked! Interesting! I use just reg veg oil in my "bug spray"....recipe from other DGers. But if sesame is better - I'll happily switch. Always looking for natural remedies. I do have some Neem on order.

Saratoga, TX(Zone 8b)

OKAY GUYS, THERE IS A QUESTION STILL HANGING, RIGHT? DO YOU DEADHEAD HIBISCUS? tHANKS

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Don't understand the question...really. Hibiscus only last a day anyway and they die. Hibs can be cut back....easily....they love it!

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha, enjoying all the photos! Beautiful gardens!

John, I don't know if it is the correct thing to do but I cut my hibiscus right down every few months otherwise they would become horrible monsters. I don't believe that you have hurt your plant at all by deadheading. After seeing Dale's umbrella hibiscus (which is gorgeous by the way) I think you have the right type to make your own umbrella! My hibs are much more stiff limbed. They do love water, and I expect I should fertilize too...

Has anyone else noticed that there are a lot of warnings on packages of sprays that tell you not to use on Hibs?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.