coliumbine seed

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I have never sown the seed from my coliumbine, and they are burgandy, and yellow(centers).The seed heads are holding, and I would like to start them in another place.Do they come true from seed, and do you sow them fresh.Thanks,Mike

Waterbury, CT

Hi Mike, I've had columbine come true from seed. My sister also had some unattractive crosses occur because she had more than one variety. Is yours Aquilegia canadensis, the wild red columbine, if it is, it should seed true if it doesn't cross pollinate with another variety. I always thought it was very attractive. Let the seed heads dry on the plant. It freely reseeds itself without help. If it's a hybrid variety however, you can't be sure what you'll get.

JoAnn

Thanks, JoAnn, and yes, they are the wild type, that I don't know how I came by them, but need to plant in a more disarable shady location.I asume, from them reseeding themselves, that I can take the seed, and direct sow them where I want them.I must have answered my own question, about being true to seed, because they have been in the same area, and still look the same, but I just fell in love with them, when I saw the sun shinning on them just at the wright angle.Beautiful.Mike

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

I have some
maroon Nora Barlow columbine
Pink double & White double columbine, these two have always been planted together, even when I bought them, they were together, they have never crossed though. I'm chicken to separate them, afraid I will kill one or both.

I would like to save some seed from it to plant later elsewhere in my garden or trade later. What do I need to do for it after I gather it. Would I be able to put it in my ziploc bags and it be viable next year?

Wish I knew enough to enlighten you on this subject.One would think, that if they never crossed, then they won't, what would it hurt anyway??Mike

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

They need to go through a cold stratification. I've put the seeds in the refrigerator for a month or so, then planted them. You can get a head start on growing them this way, or just spread them where you want them and they'll come up next spring.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

They're also great candidates for wintersowing! I've got a dozen different seedlings in gallon pots now from last year's WSing (some even bloomed this spring!), and I'll be planting them out soon. I sowed probably twice as many varieties this year, and I've been potting up the seedlings. I find I have a better survival rate if I pot up perennial seedlings and baby them along for a bit rather than planting out a hunk of tender little seedlings in the "wild blue yonder," but that's just what works for me. Direct sowing should work just fine also!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, and I should probably add that I do store columbine seeds in the fridge... they do need a period of cold, and extra seeds from 2 years ago germinated just fine this year.

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks, I will try your suggestions.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I have a blue Columbine Aquilegia caerulea-Blue star. State Flower of Colorado
I harvested some seeds last summer from the pods, I do not know anything about keeping seeds kept them in a jelly jar in the house. I planted some and they have germinated just fine. I have sent some out to other GD members, If anyone would like some, let me know. I still have plenty plus the many babies I have been moving and they are all true blue.
Tilly

Thumbnail by tillysrat

They are blue, and I like them,however, I only have theaquilegia canadensis, and I don't know about cross polinating.I'll look into it, and get back with you, if I can grow both, and keep them true.Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.