Morning glories 2007 # 03

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

Well, here we go with a new thread. I felt like this frilly blue one I found this morning would be pretty for a start. So what else did ya`ll find in your garden today? :)

If you`d like to go back to morning glories 2007 #02 go here:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/722750/

This message was edited May 22, 2007 12:23 PM

Thumbnail by gardener2005
Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Karen, Love the frilly blue and the shade of blue is gorgeous.
Thanx for sending the Raspberry Lime pic, would be a great name
after testing.

A, the orange color seems to be missing from the Sticticardia
bloom. Sure it will return with future blooms. May be because it was
the only bud or maybe the cool nights recently, 48 to 52 degrees..

Jackie

Mesilla Park, NM

Karen, that is a nice cloudy baby blue..

Here is Hanahubuki... the petal was torn before it opened yesterday.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

I. quamoclit Australia strain, Ron's seeds.

this is the first time I grow this type. At first it really struggled and needed lots of moisture at the beginning, but it has been outside for a week and also is full of buds. Will definitely try other colors.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

posted this one on the wrong thread:..

here is a hitch hiker in the same pot as Cornell, anyone know which one it could be?

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

side view:

Thumbnail by Gourd

Nice flowers, everyone!

Joseph

Very cool pictures Gourd. The red one is very eye catching for sure.

The blue one with the pink throat is cool. You `pose it is open pollinated Cornell? What do you mean by hitch hiker? Did you plant Cornell in a pot with clean store bought dirt and this one came with it as a "surprise"?

I have had some interesting turn outs in some of my pots bought from open pollinated sources...but I knew they were open pollinated so the seller is cool with me. It is just that this one particular flower that was supposed to be Blue is pink. That would mean there is no way the parent plant was a pure factory seed from this plant I wanted. They obviously grew an open seed off the original parent plant,did not bag the blooms or test grow and then gave me open pollinated seed in which the bees cross pollinated it with another flower(again) off that one which means it ain`t what it was anymore. :) Does that make sense?

So now my convictions are more firm that everything has to be bagged, tagged and tested...for my own conscience when trading seeds especially. Stuff can still happen wrong but doing a few simple steps can help a lot.

Here is a close up of a Yuzuuki (sp?) in the rain.

Kaori? (I think) because it came in a mix from komeri. Another possibility is Akatsuki no Hikari.

It`s beautiful even in the rain.

This message was edited May 23, 2007 1:51 PM

Mesilla Park, NM

Thanks all,
I used brand new soil, germinated what I thought were four seeds for I. nil Cornell, the seeds are so unique, that it is almost impossible to confuse, maybe they looked alot alike in this case. I'm sure they were open pollinated because they came from my plants that particular year. And I didn't know diddly squat about pollinating MGs.

A.

You might find some neat stuff coming from seeds off of that pretty blue one.

The pink Cornell you have Will breed true if you mark the vine, bag the blooms and mark the pods. The pink doesn`t carry for any other color (I don`t think so.) because it is recessive. So you are lucky you got a nice pink one to carry on.

This message was edited May 23, 2007 1:36 PM

Gourd, Great blooms

Karen, no Hikari is really nice.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

A, I love this one http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=3527181
Nice blue!!

Mesilla Park, NM

HI Ronnie,
That looks alot like yours in the Plant files.. I got some seeds from you this year for Isochidori, but haven't started them yet.. Don't you think it looks like yours also?
A.

Here is a series of photos of the unknown JMG that did not open up the other day. Its corolla is about 3 inches in diameter. It has the palest of yellow colors and slightly darker yellow in the tube. The ribs on this one are slightly depressed in comparison to the other one I grew that was bluish color with raised ribs.

Joseph

Thumbnail by

Another view.

Thumbnail by

Look deep into its eye!

Thumbnail by

Need a sepal shot.

Thumbnail by
Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

Gerris2 - NIce(!)...I see my 'hunch' turned out to be the case...

Kyushu has several very lightly colored yellow Ipomoea nil listed and I'll have to take another look to see what strain number they applied to the one that looks like the one you have there...

Were the seeds for this one dark(?)...just wondering as the stem pigmentation usually correlates with dark seeds,but not always...

Interesting(!) type...

TTY,...

Ron

Thanks, Ron, for all the information. If you find the Q number for this one, I would appreciate knowing it. It came to me as a JMG unknown. I did not take notes on seed color or stem pigmentation. If I am lucky the vine will make seeds and we can see what color the seed is at that point in time. I am afraid the other unknown with the blue flower and raised ribs will not make seeds, and there is no more flower buds. I will extract that plant and see if I can get another one from the unknown bunch of seeds growing in its place.

Joseph

Mesilla Park, NM

Joseph,
Those photos are great... The flower is beautiful and great detail. The one right in the center of the flower shows the features that we don't normally get to see.

Karen,
Your Kaori is a nice flower, it looks ruffled. I think you are right about the name, I've seen it called something else but don't remember the name right now..will check and see, seems to me I have a photo somewhere of one also from 2005.

Gerris2, The white flower is pretty. I like it. It does look creamy yellow in the center and it has a delicate floating on air look that I like a lot.

Guess what? I Finally got one!!!! I saved some seed from one of my youjiros that out of the blue turned out a flower with doubling in which the anthers become petals and it looks like a double flower. It had one anther of pollen I used on another flower. This morning I check on a grow out labeled youjiro x picotees(I`m stuck for now calling the kikyo a picotee...but it is really kikyo ) and here we go.

The leaves are light yellow green like the kikyo side of the family and the flower is blue like youjiro. I`m kind of exited about this one. I don`t want to go into another thread about it but just wanted to share briefly.

Ya`ll have a great day!

This message was edited May 24, 2007 1:26 PM

Austin, TX

Just a regular ole blue star but I loved the way the pic turned out. Have started Scarlett O'Hara and built a new box and trellis in my back yard so those should be going in about a month.

Edited to read that yes, this is heavenly blue. Have seen the blue star and they are much lighter in color. I did that same thing last time, too!!!

This message was edited May 24, 2007 5:38 PM

Thumbnail by bunsengirl
Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

bunsengirl - Nice flower,although it looks to be Ipomoea tricolor "Heavenly Blue" as listed in the PlantFiles here
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/12735/

Here's Ipomoea tricolor "Blue Star"
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/9559/

Photo attached of a dark bluish-purple Fuji with a single tassle that perfectly reflects the main corolla white nil edge and even including a white fold in the center of the tassle......

The photo was originally posted by Moonlighting

TTY,...

Ron

Thumbnail by RON_CONVOLVULACEAE

Here is a new discovery today. It is blue with a lot of white.

And the mutant ninja morning glories have bloomed this morning! I was amazed at how big the blue flower was on those little miniature looking vines.

This is a close up of the bud on the willow leaf vine. This is about as close as you can get with a 2 megapixel.

This message was edited May 25, 2007 1:50 PM

Has anyone ever felt like you were being watched but unsure who or where they were? I had that feeling this morning caring for my vines and looked around to see noone. Then I looked straight ahead and there they were! It was the little chickens checking me out. They could have said,"There`s nobody here but us chickens!"

Karen,

This one absolutely glows: http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=3535051

Awesome!

Joseph

Thanks! I tagged that one and will cover the next blooms and try growing it again. :)

Mesilla Park, NM

Nice flowers, the color is so rich, seems like there will be alot of new glories this year.

Ron, those flowers from moonlighting are huge..

Karen, love the chicks and the m glories.

Jackie

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

I second Joseph that this one here
http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/gardener2005_1180118584_250.jpg
is special...

Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

..here is the double flowering plant early this morning...

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

...and here it is at noon, from a different perspective, under the hot sun, long after the other flowers are faded....

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

Here is another plant that produces split flowers..but looks to be sterile.

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

..and another in a different color and shape..

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

This is Dai, which produces the cup shaped flower form and is barely evident in this flower.

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

..and a closeup of the interior of this flower.

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

...from seed labeled Hama no Sora..

...edited to correct the spelling of the name!...don't want to contribute to the confusion!

This message was edited May 26, 2007 1:35 PM

This message was edited May 26, 2007 1:36 PM

Thumbnail by atenkley

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.