Fern erradication

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

One of our invasive species here is ferns...like the Boston Tree Fern...it chokes everything.

Anyone know how to kill it aside from pulling it out? I have tried RoundUp, Garlon and now Clorox. Nuclear is next!!!

Carol

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Carol, do you mean something like this: If so, go ahead and go nuclear, I think that might work, but then these grow here and may be a RESULT of the nuclear testing! I just keep em out of my pots, but hopefully someone else will respond with a cure.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

No...those make great groundcovers. Will take a photo later...they ARE Bostons!!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Be careful dear, I think there may be people out there that will go ballistic at the idea of you wanting to eradicate a Boston. But then, they don't have the problems you do. I use the panax in front as a ground cover, I meant the fronds in the back. Those are my headache....looking forward to seeing the Boston....if you find a cure, let me know!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

We have a problem Boston here too. It is Nephrolepis obliterata aka Kimberly Queen. It was highly touted because it can handle full sun but it also spreads like the proverbial weed it is. Hand pulling is the only way I can hope to eradicate it but no matter how often I pull it still pops up everywhere. Harsh chemicals don't even phase this one. Nuking them may be the only way.........

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I have a friend who uses diesel fuel mixed with something else to kill off impossible weeds. She said that is the only way she can kill them. I will get her formula if you guys are interested.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Sounds pretty nuclear to me! Maybe worth a try.....

I will d-mail her and get it for you.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Cool beans! Thanks!

No problem!! I will let you know what it is hopefully tomorrow.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Thanks Pepper....

(wonder if it is Agent Orange?)

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Oh no! I don't want to go that far....how about Agent peach....tan....lite yellow?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

DH (a chemical engineer) tells me there is one molocule of chlorine difference between Garlon and AO. Oooops.

Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

Has any one tried an Army Flame thrower ?
Just a thought . Got the enemy out of their fox holes .
It did the job in Nam .

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I do live on an Army base.....hmmmm....ginger - you may be on to something!

Keep us posted on the results please .

Ok here is what she said.

"I mix about as much diesel fuel as herbicide into the water. This should kill about anything. Don't spray to the runoff point tho as the d.f. will stay in the soil and nothing will grow there for a long time if ever."

I reccomend just rubbing it on the plants if you still want to plant there. Sometimes that works too. Just make sure to have rubber gloves on for protection if you do.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Hmmmm Thanks Pebble...will give it a 'shot'....lol

At your own peril . lol

I should think the smell alone would kill something.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I do believe, I'm learning something new today, not neccessarily good or bad. But, never knew before Kimberly Queen is that invasive. (I guess it depends on the climes). Yesterday I learned about Virginia creeper, learning something new just about everyday. But's better than the alternative? Isn't? lol

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I will be very sparing with it...can't be all that good for the watershed!!! But then, the trucks around here spew out enough of it!!!

Lily, in your zone Kimberly Queen probably dies back each winter. Around here it just spreads further. I pulled out another bushel of it this morning.

Carol, be sure to tell us how the evil mixture works.

She may not live to tell the story Thanks to Pep .

West Bay, Cayman Islands(Zone 11)

Carol, do you have a deep well and or cistern? We have both and have to be extremely careful what we mix to kill things....don't want those chemicals in the ground water that may end up on the plants, or worse, on or in us!!!

We do have city water too, an arrangement of valves and pipes to keep the water bill at a minimum....city to the sinks, deep well to the toilets, cistern to everything else...

just curious, don't want anything to happen to your water supply trying to kill weeds...

aurbest,
john

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Carol....we will be watching to make sure you do no harm to yourownself. Carol.....oh Caaaarorrrrlllll......Oh no! The Diesel Fuel defolliant got her! See .....ya just gotta be careful. How did that old commercial go ? "It's not NICE to fool with Mother Nature". Zap!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Nah...the sugar plantations did in the ground water around here....and the cess pools!!!! Our water is from catchment - sweet pure rain we put thru a UV filter. Nothing better!!!

No worries...I try to leave a VERY small footprint, always.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I was just pulling your chain - If anyone is gonna be earth friendly, it would be you. I gotta share this story - and then I HAVE to go pack! (course I'll be checkin back in periodically).

A couple of weeks ago I was out in my garden, and I noticed "the crane" was looming near my daughter's house, so I called her to see what was going on. She went out to check and turned into what Ronnie called "warrior princess". The crane is the tool of "grounds maintenance". It goes around the island tearing down/pulling up trees that have encroached into the fire lanes. Important work - yes - but sometimes indiscriminate. Well, they had taped off and were about to destroy a beautiful 30 ft Sago that was filled with nests and birds and lots of other life! She grabbed her phone and planted herself right next to the tree and called Environmental Dept, and Building and Grounds and everyone else she could think of! One thing led to another, and finally the head guy at grounds maintenance called off his crew. She saved the tree!!!!! Yea!!!!! I was so very proud of her! The Marshallese crew was just laughing at this crazy lady yelling at them to stop and not to hurt the tree, until their boss said pack it up....then they just smiled at her and drove away. That's my girl!!!!!

Tell her : Good on you Girl , from me Shari .

I am trying to picture a 30' sago. You must post a photo of that one when you have time.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yes, I will...

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Oh...I feel so DUMB!!! 3 years ago, for Christmas, I gave DH just THAT - a mini flame thrower for getting the reall pesky weeds!!! He has never used it for that...but for other things. You DO have to carry around a propane tank...but...that would be just the thing!!! It would burn the spores and!!!!!

Pebble you are a GEM!!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yay!!!!! Our forum has just paid off big time! Ain't it wunnerful!!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

On a lighter note ya'll. Let's sail away into some good clearn fun.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

We have a lawn weed product (Atrazine?) that kills boston fern very quickly. Also I remember a long time ago spraying with a insecticide that wiped it out, I think it have have been Malathion, but....might have been Orthene or Orthenex.

Here is the offender now>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

Dale , That looks like the Fish Bone Fern to me ?
Nice Pot . Are we allowed to use that word ?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Great solution! Dale.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

What word? Bone? Fish? oooh Pot! It's just another word - right? Yu'r sech a hippie!

Howdy Dale - just knew you couldn't stay away for long! How's that cute little family of yours?

Been trying to post my pic on my Member's page, but I'm having some pooter difugalties, so I'm gonna try to send you all a big smile right here. This is me and my main squeeze. That's the Alhambra - Spain - in the background.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Well, rats.....that didn't work too well now did it? Hmmmmm, well guess I'm just not having any luck with pics today!

lol Shari ,
On some Webs Pot is deleted ?

Your Pics. are too small .
Make them BIG .
Otherwise the copyright thingy takes over your Pic .
Try it full size .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.