Welcome!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

By popular request, a forum for those gardening in tropical climates around the world!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Congrats to all, I'm "Belly dancing" NOT, but tried to welcome all have participated on our "wish" for the forum. Tehehehehe, best B-day present I've ever had.
Kim

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Oohhh, Thank you, thank you, Terry, Dave and all that have been working hard on this....

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

This is to say; Peace, joy, and prosperity to ALL.
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Congratulations to you tropical delights! May the forum be filled with all things tropical and may those of us who visit here be awed by the amazing things that grow in your region!

West Bay, Cayman Islands(Zone 11)

Whoop whoop!!!

I am singing with the rain!!!!..(no one else listening) Thanks Terry and Dave, and Shari for getting this party started!!!!

aurabest,
john

Shari!!! I wish you would get up early today!!!! Big News for Us!!! We did it, thanks to you, Terry, Dave, and all the support from a bunch of friends....NOW, get out of that bed, make some Sumatra and join us wont you???? This holds for you too Carol, get the tea brewed and sit a while!!! Public Holiday here in Cayman, day off, chores done, raining outside....what a perfect day!

Thanks again everyone!!!

j

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

VERY pleased here. Thanks so much. I look forward to learning LOTS of new stuff and sharing.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Oh my!!!!! I just logged on to do a quick check and look!!!!!! Thank you to all the Kahunas of DG! Thank you! Now we must do you justice!

Lily - Happy Birthday!!!!!!!

Carol, john, we gotta come up with some wonderful stuff..... I don't know where to begin!

John, I don't know anything (actually never heard of durian until Lily mentioned it a few days ago), but I do love lychee's, are they related? Let's do some serious researc here and see what we can find out. May-be we can all help your bride find some seeds and we can all get magnificently healthy!

I am only going to be here for two more days, then gone for 5 with no computers....Pohnpei has not advanced that far yet.....only a few on the island, and they are used for booking accomodations and dive trips. But I will be back next week with lots of new pics, and as much info as I can gather on the care and feeding of TROPICALS!

Woooooohooooo doing the happy DaNcE!!! Thank you to all who helped!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Nothing has made me happier today. Thanks Shari for the B-day's wish. To see our Forum comes to life. Yes, we need to find some Lagacy trees to help John and his bride plant them all around their home. Isn't it a great idea? As far as those Durians, hmmm, they are NO less in sizes that of Jack-fruits. And spiky, tough, skins too boost. By the time John and his bride have children, they ought to be ripe, but I wouldn't dance under the trees. I'll do some research on those too, via "words by mouth" of those that may have experience with this fruits in their younger years. For those of us who are familiar with Durian fruits, please chime in and help us out.
Kim

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Familiar with...YES! Like them, NO!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Carol - elaborate ple-uhz.

What!
Children?

no no no...i call miss katie my bride because she is. we are geezers and have been together a while....no plans or ability for pikney (children)...we practice though.....LOL...

Lily...a belated Birthday wish....I hope this day and all the future days are filled with dreams and fulfillment! May drops of rain and light of sun touch you everyday!!!

Shari, have a great time! Be sure to fire those sub aqua shots with a strobe if you can....I wish we were going too!! I am good at carrying gear, modeling, turning air on, or off, if you misbehave.....making you flood your mask because of laughter....just have fun, we can hold down the forum here....be safe and enjoy it!!!! This day has made mine, and from what I see, many others as well!!! Thank you.

Miss Carol, what can you tell me about Coconut Syrup? A friend of mine who is a Master Chef had some many years ago while on shore leave on a merchant vessel in Hawaii...He is the master of breadfruit, conch, red snapper, and just about everything from the sea....We shared a beverage earlier and I told him I would inquire for a recipe for it...any suggestions????

He also has a great use for a used satellite dish...more to come on that!!!

aurabest,
j

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Mmmmmm papaya pancakes with coconut syrup! Weekend ambrosia!

boy, that last post of mine just didn't come out right....i idiot bwoi!!! must read: a friend on shore leave in Hawaii years ago sampled coconut syrup and would like a recipe....a master chef in his own right, will be willing to share numerous Caymanian recipes in exchange!!! So sorry, have had the day off....can't stay focused...having too much fun and too many posts to make....see what you have created islandgirlie?

j

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Never heard of it, John...I shall ask around tho'.... Will let you know... we call it haupia here...makes the BEST cheesecake!!!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Just wanted to congratulate you all on the new forum!

Great Job, Shari!

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Congrats on the new forum. I definitely agree it is needed. Your gardening concerns are waaaay different from the rest of us.

When I lived in Ainaloa (up the road from AlohaHoya), I always joked that getting something to grow wasn't nearly as much trouble as keeping it beat back. LOL = + ))

Karen

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Welcome both of you! Karen - definately know what u mean! :-)

Tropicanna - how's your dad? Talk to him lately? Soooo glad to see you here!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Karen...you got that right!!!! Clippers? Machetes!!!

Take a cutting, put it in a pot...often a struggle.
Prune, throw the detrius in the bush and soon you have a forest of whatever you pruned!!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Why is it that what we DON'T want flourishes, and what we DO want struggles? I've been a good girl, well mostly anyway. My karma shouldn't be that bad!

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

AlohaHoya -- Machetes - definitely!! I remember several buildings that the machete wasn't used quite soon enough.

Islandshari -- Isn't that always the question. In the tropics, though, I noticed the DON'T want flourishes like gangbusters. It's got to be seen to be believed.

Karen

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Karen - you sure got that right! On last Earth Day we had a booth of the invasive weeds out here - you should have heard the comments - "Thats all over the side of my house" and "Oh, but its so pretty!" Yup - it is, right up till it buries everything else you are trying to grow!

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

Happy New Forum, tropical folks and friends! *grins*

Donna

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hey Donna! Glad you could join the fun!

Are we allowed here from almost tropical SW Florida?

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Everyone is welcome!!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Rolling out the red carpet. Ductchlady1, even I haven't been kick off the boat. It's lovely here. Come aboard.
Kim

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I say these folks really foiught hard for this forum-we should give it plenty of trafffic to show them off! :)

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Dutchlady....my yard is FULL of tropicals, so I'm parking right here!
:)

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Good morning everyone! It's just after 7:00 am where I call home, and I logged on to see what's happening. I am soooooo glad to see all of you! I won't be real busy here for a few days, but when I get back I will expect lots of new threads and lots of great conversations! Must be something about tropical lovers ! This is gonna be a great forum!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Good Morning Shari! Bathe in paradise for those of us with Tropic envy!

Hey Shari!!

Got all the dive gear ready? I thought you were saying goodbye to us yesterday....when do you leave for your trip???

(isn't this new forum great!) thank you so much for being the founder!!!!

aurabest,
j

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I'm not the founder.....I just heard the collective calling and posed the question. We have to check in tomorrow morning....I wasn't really saying goodbye, I just have so much to do that I shouldn't be sitting here chatting - But I can't resist! Got all the dive gear cleaned, serviced and dried and packed up....now I have to figure out what clothes to take - its not as easy as some trips (just a bathing suit and some shorts). The Pohnpeians are very conservative, and I'll be spending a lot of time in the carving village so I have to make sure that I don't offend anyone,while still being able to breath in my skin. Its not all that big a task, just one I keep postponing. So I've given myself just a little time this morning to say hello to all my DG friends!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Shari, you are going to Pohnpei? My parents talked about that place a lot. They are old hippies and there was one thing in particular they really liked about it............

Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

Was that the swimming Tropicanna ?

Thanks Shari for checking in and saying hi...I think you most certainly were the most diligent as well as so many others for getting us this new forum and just thanking you again...Have a great trip!!!! Wish we were going too!!!! Got Island fever right now.....need to spend time in my garden tonight and reflect!!! Has your daughter gotten any closer to getting a computer going so she can join us and share those wonderful aquarium shots???? We can't wait!!

Trops, no, I moved here from Arkansas in 1993....never looked back...did a brief stint in Charlotte NC to get my girl and make her my bride. Mission accomplished and ran straight back to Cayman to my old job and diving!!!!

aurabest,
j

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Awww, John what a sweet story. Best women in the world come from NC, you know. OK, I'm ducking now, I'm sure someone's ready to swing!

and ginger, cough, giggle, yes, it was definitely the swimming they enjoyed!

Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

We call it skinny dipping here .

I forgot to mention that we were married in 60 feet of water, shared a regulator, bride in full gown, laminated q cards, the whole bit, it is an awesome video and a bunch of great stills too....the Atlantis submarine just happened along during the ceremony and the tourists inside could not believe their eyes....it was really unbelievable...

i'm feeling all warm and fuzzy now....snap out of it john!!!

lol

j

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.