Planting seeds outside??

Muskegon, MI

I just stumbled upon this fabulous site & I am enjoying reading all of the comments & advice. I am a new gardner & this year, I have had incredible success with my plants (Lucerne, Salvia, Scabiosa, Delphinium, Dianthus, Spiderwort). I actually bought a lot of seeds & after planning out a garden, I planted the seeds. After reading evrything here, I guess I should have started the seeds indoors. Does anyone have any advice for me...now that I have already planted? I fertilized the soil & I water it 2x a day. Any suggestions?
~Aqua

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Aqua,

Fertilizing the soil before germination is achieved isn't a good idea. Fertilization should be delayed until your seedlings get their first true leaves and, even then, it should be in the form of diluted half-strength water soluble nutrients like Miracle-Gro. Seedings and their tiny hair roots are tender.

Sprinkling twice a day may be overkill, but since you have already fertilized, it may help to wash the some of the excess fertilizer out of the germination zone. But seedlings and seeds need oxygen, so don't drown them.

If you have slugs, you might want to sprinkle a little Sluggo around to prevent them from getting your tender seedlings when they do come up.

MM

Muskegon, MI

Yikes! Thanks MM. I don't have slugs...yet, but your help is much appreciated. Next time I will wait to fertilize them. Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.