How my mature Kentia is doing...

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

Some of you might remember this thread...
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/682173/

...which I posted last December when I showed how it went when I rolled a pretty good-sized double-Kentia over my pool and planted it on a slope above the pool.

Well I think this Howea is doing darn good, what do you guys think?

Thumbnail by FondOfFronds
Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

Here's a view from a different angle.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

This is a view of the small one. The spear on this one is taking its sweet time growing, while its big brother has already pushed open two new fronds this spring and is about to open another...

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

While I was at it, I purchased a second, smaller tri Kentia and planted it next to the other side of the waterfall.
I bet this one will take a long time to get bigger, but I can wait!

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

Another view

Hayward, CA

If it wasn't for there sloow growth here-it would be the ultimate palm. Mine has 5' of trunk huge,arching fronds that go over the roof 20' up. And it took 15 years. A King palm i expect to be three storys tall in 15 years.Or taller.
Your's has great color. One of the greener Kentias i have seen. Man,I wish they grew faster here ...

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

We'll see how it grows in my little sweet spot of microclimate. They are so graceful with those drooping leaves. I think Kentias may be my favorite palm, at least of the ones that we can grow here in So. Cal. My all time favorite is the coco palm. I tried to grow two of them here but they didn't make it. I may try again someday, I know a lot more about them now than I did then. If Newport Beach can do it, maybe I can next to the pool which I can heat on those really cold days. But for those extended weeks where the highs dip below 50-60F for days on end, that's a little hard on them.

This message was edited May 20, 2007 4:56 PM

Garden Grove, CA(Zone 10a)

Beautiful palms. Don't have one yet, but I do have this dypsis which has a similiar look. Also very slow growing.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/21309/

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

Is that your dypsis? Those are beautifully graceful leaves as well.
Truly tropical.

Hayward, CA

FOF,your getting some really green and lacy growth out of your palms.The dwarf Phoenix are fern like. Any particular fertilizer?
And i notice you have that giant,4-6'- Vresiea brom that isnt in the Dave's garden website.I have it too. I can't remember the name,do you ?

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

I just use Vigoro palm fertilizer. That roebelini spent the first eight or so years of it's life in my front yard up against the house, where it got lots of water and afternoon shade. I mean a LOT of water. We transplanted it this last December right before the Kentia went in. The house used to belong to a doctor who collected a lot of bromiliads. So I don't have much info on those. I just water them and they grow.

Garden Grove, CA(Zone 10a)

Not my Dypsis, it's one from PB in DavesGarden. Mine is only several inches. About the phoenix, Palm Encyclo. authors riffle and craft say it likes more water than most palms. Many other sources say to give it only,regular water though.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

The huge bromeliad is Vriesea imperialis.

Hayward, CA

I bought the Vigoro. Strange that its titled Palm and IXORA food. Of all the potential..ferns,cycads,..but Ixora? 8-4-8. Home Depot had it.Jeez,its comes in a small bag..i think i have one more good application left. For most of you i dont think you would have enough in one bag for all your palms.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

How big a bag did you buy? It comes in two sizes and there is a pretty big sized bag that I buy...
Mine is Labeled "Palm, Ixora and Ornamental Plant Food" 9-4-9, It's a 20 lb. bag.

Here's a pic of the new frond I took earlier today when the sun was out. It might push four spears by summer's end I'm hoping, it's already done one earlier this spring...

This message was edited May 26, 2007 5:29 PM

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

The little one is still trying...

Hayward, CA

It was all they had .3 pounder. I guess they figure the market up here is smaller for a specialty fertilizer.
Next time though i will ask if they can order the 20 pounder.Thanks,wouldn't have known.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

I guess down here in So Cal, we do have a lot of palms. Mostly it seems, Queens and Washies and Kings but we do have them everywhere you go. Glad I could be of help to someone on here, as I'm usually the one asking.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

The new frond is really opening up now.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

Interesting how the edges are stuck together with some very thin and linear connective leaf tissue. It eventually just falls off as the frond opens completely.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

It's really opening by now, still stuck on the edges though with that thin strip of leaf tissue. The tips are already free and waving nicely in the breeze. Can you tell I love my Kentia? I can't take my eyes off it very long when I'm in the backyard.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

Pics taken today 06.16.07.
"Chamber of commerce" weather today in North San Diego County!

Vista, CA(Zone 10a)

Your backyard has come a long way and is looking great. It looks like you have been very busy back there :)

PS - It looks like you have a lot of shade in the back. You could use some nice tropical foundation plants there. Have you ever looked at Tropical Rhododendrons? This place has great plants for guys like us -
http://multifloraplants.com/

This message was edited Jun 16, 2007 9:31 PM

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

well we've got Philodendrons planted in a shady area in the corner of the yard, but we've really never thought of Rhododendrons. Those are nice and tropical. Just might have to look into them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.