My new Traveler's Palm, Ravenala Madagascariensis

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

Just got it yesterday with osideterry's help.

I plan on placing it behind our barbeque, where it will get mostly sun during the summer days, and until it gets bigger, partial sun during winter days. Behind the fence faces south, so this one will be planted with the correct east-west orientation. I wanted to put it in a protected location to keep the leaves from tattering, and hopefully this spot will do that, with the fence behind it and lots of big trees surrounding it.

Thumbnail by FondOfFronds
Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

So how long do you guys think it will take before it looks really good? Since these palms are pretty sensitive to local conditions, I'm basically experimenting to see if my microclimate here really is good enough to grow a nice specimen of one of these.

Can you say rah-vah-na-la mad-a-gas-scar-ee-en-sis?

Hayward, CA

I don't doubt you can grow it. There are some big ones in San Diego. It seems like where they grow in Soucal they grow fast. I would push it hard with tons of water and fertilizer. Interesting that the warmer the climate, the wider the fan of leaves.
My impression is-not near as hardy as GBOP, But not the impossible like the ultra tropical Heliconias.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

These are interesting the way they grow laterally.

And I suppose it will be setting off pups as well?

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

Gorgeous leaves. The ones in the plant files, some of them are unreal how spectacular they get...

We have some really GBOP's in my neighborhood, including my next door neighbor who has a clump of huge ones. I've got a couple of big ones too, but not nearly as big as next door's.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

Another view of the leaves. I'm a sucker for tropicals!

Vista, CA(Zone 10a)

These are no where near as hardy as Giant Birds. In fact the only place you will see large ones (trunking) in socal, is at the 'perfect' microclimate. I have seen a lot of gardens and know a lot of tropical growers, and these are not easy even a few miles inland. I bought one in a 24 in box last year. Had the perfect spot too. It died from the frost. 28 degrees. I was bummed but decided not to replace it as I would hate to grow that sucker for 5 years and start getting trunk and have another freeze zap it. I wish you luck as it would be beautiful there. You never know. No harm in trying. I know my area was not good enough though.

Did you get it at RSN?

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

That's a beautiful plant. We have some smaller (3-4') potted ones here and I can only hope they eventually grow that large. Wish we lived in a climate like FL, HI, or CA where we could put them in the ground.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

I'm lucky in that when a freeze hits, I can turn on my pool heater in the backyard. I did that this last January and suffered very little frost damage to my palms. The downside of course is the energy bill from SDG&E. >=-(

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

I wouldn't want to see that bill.

I love these "palms" though. The trunk is amazing, even on the smaller ones. When I first received mine I could tell they'd be raised indoors - perfect leaves with no tears. I put two of them outside immediately and felt bad they got shredded up by the wind. But they seem happy outdoors now that they've gotten used to the full sun. The third one has been plenty happy inside as well though.

I'm going to keep an eye out for a larger one this week when we head to Florida. If I could find one about the size of yours I'd be in heaven. It'd make a great summer addition to the yard.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

Are these considered to be true palms? They seem to be a cross between a palm and a GBOP.
Besides the wonderful images in the Plant Files, I did a Google image search for Ravenalas and was amazed by the ones that have grown large. They are stunning in their beauty and symmetry. I can only hope and pray I can keep mine healthy.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 9b)

FoF: The Ravenala is in the Strelitziaceae family. It's "brothers" are Giant or "White" Bird of Paradise, and the regular colorful Bird-O-Paradise. It's "cousins" are bananas and heliconias. Nice big tropical family it's in. Palms are like some very distant cousin several times removed. They occasionally bump into each other at family reunions though. Like the one going on in your backyard. This is as loopy as I get on a Monday morning.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

That's a good explanation. I never am sure how to explain it's a Palm (by common name), but not really a Palm (by classification). I get "that look" - the "Huh?" look.

They are truly incredible plants, especially once they form a trunk. We always see them in Hawaii and they are a sight to behold.

This message was edited May 21, 2007 2:50 PM

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

The first time I ever noticed one was in Maui in '02. In fact, the GF and I had rented a car and were just driving around the island, drooling over the local flora. While were driving down one street, I saw one in someone's yard and yelled out "WOW, what was that?" My GF, who was driving, stomped on the brakes, backed up and we just stopped and stared at this amazing Ravenala. We were absolutely awestruck looked at each other and said we have to have one of those! Of course we said that about many of the palms we observed in Hawaii, but not all of them will thrive in So. Cal., as we have learned since then. I think they should be called the Peacock Tree... since that's what they remind me of, big peacocks. Here's a pic from the Plant Files. Simply awesome in every sense of the word.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

LOL, I never let climate stand in my way - I'm stubborn about that. I'm in a border 7/8 zone and I just grow the tropicals in pots I sink into the ground. Over 75% of the palms I have alone would die here by November I bet - especially my Christmas Palms.

And you know, I think Maui was the first place I ever saw one as well. Every time we're there I want to bring a dozen new things home.

Hayward, CA

Speaking of GPOP my largest trunk had every leaf frosted.The smaller suckers not near as bad.But right now without a full leaf, the big guy is flowering. Suprised me.

Ventura, CA(Zone 10b)

Had one of those at our hotel in Maui on our honeymoon as well. Sooooo impressive.

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Can I grow these successfully in my climate?

Vista, CA(Zone 10a)

Nope. Not a chance in 9a. They are marginal here in all but the best microclimates. I had one in a perfect spot this year and it froze and I am 10a/b.

Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 10a)

Ok, I guess I'm just plain weird but I like the "torn and tattered" look. It reminds me where these come from (including bananas). It's a defense the plants have against very high winds including hurricanes. It prevents them being knocked over. I think they look more tropical. :-)

Anyhow, here's one from 10b. Been there a while as you can see. A lot of folks will probably recognize this one (from San Clemente). I don't know what happened to it this past winter. I took this photo during the winter of '02 and haven't been by that location since then.

Thumbnail by jackiescompost
Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 10a)

I would not try this in 9a.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's MY baby.... got him at rockledge gardens in rockledge of course! There were about five of them and they were all growing there roots from the pots into the ground. So i decided to get one and plant it at home. He was planted Sunday and has opened its first leaf.
One question though... I understand that travelers arent true palms but can you gove them palm fertilizer or is it better to feed them normal plant fertilizer?
And I am with Jackie on the tattered look. When your in Florida, it doesnt matter where you put the travelers tree when four hurricanes hit in one year (2004)! But you learn to live with the look after a while.

Thumbnail by FoxtailFavPalm
Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah - simply beautiful

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

I wish we'd been able to bring one of those big Traveler's back from Rockledge... incredible size for the location I think.

I was looking back at my plant photos today to the winter when I received my Traveler's in the mail from Puerto Rico and then today. It's incredible what a difference one summer can make. I think it was around 3' (maybe) when I received it in Feb. Now it's easily over 6'. It'll probably be too large for the house next year - will have to put it in the garage for the winter with the Christmas Palm.

Thumbnail by keonikale
Marysville, WA(Zone 8a)

I always wondered if a Ravenala was raised up in an East-West direction, then when you brought it home you planted it in a West-East position (just flipped 180) if it would mess it up?

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I have grown them in any orientation, and they don't switch... wive's tales to think they orient. but eventually they do sucker and the seedlings will end up in a different orientation. They may be 'directed' to grow in a certain orientation, though, depending on wind direction and sunlight... it is always nice to have a bunch growing the same way. But seen plenty of yards in Hawaii with mature plants all growing in various orientations.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

Finally got it in the ground last week...

Sure looks smaller now that it's not in a huge pot! I think this will be a good spot for it, it's very protected by a fence with tall Oleanders growing behind it and lots of huge trees around to keep the wind down... which will hopefully keep it relatively warm when winter comes.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

A 3/4 view...
It just opened a new leaf about three weeks ago. It has opened a total of two since I got it earlier this summer. They grow faster than I thought they would.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 9b)

Nice! Looks like it's added 3 leaves since you got it. If you look at your first photo, it's taller now without the pot that it was then with one. Don't think I didn't notice the fern leaf on the left... Australian?

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

We planted an Austalian Tree Fern next to it, a group of one large and two small to make a sort of tri-fern tree grouping. But our gardener trimmed off ALL of the fronds on the big one! I didn't know he was going to do that, since he was working in the front yard to dig it up and I was in the back yard gettting the hole ready for planting. When he and his two helpers came around the corner with this nice "stump" I was horrified. He assured me however, that it will be okay, and already I've noticed that a big fat frond is getting ready to unfurl itself up on the top.

Since it looked a little close to the fern, we have since moved the Ravenala over about 18" to the left to give them both more room to spread out.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

in answer to your question oside, it had just opened a new leaf when it was delivered, and it has since opened two new ones... I hope it will open another before it gets cold, but who knows?

Oceanside, CA(Zone 9b)

As long as morning lows are above 50F, that thing is growing. You'll get at least one more leaf.

About the fern... Holy Crap! Where do these guys get this kind of edgy-cation from? There is a queen palm in my neighborhood, and every year the guy trims off every leaf AND then cuts the spear in half! No power lines for miles.

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

That's weird! Osideterry - did you ever think of knocking some sense into him?? :)

Anna Maria Island, FL(Zone 9b)

It's just gorgeous, FOF!!!
...and I love your back yard...the TP adds that extra touch!

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks Lellie. The yard is a constant work in progress and a labor of love.
Those fronds are so interesting as they open. Once they get to this point you can measure their growth every day. I would say almost an inch a day in length as the leaf gets to this state of growth.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.