English walnut tree - should I cut off extra trunks?

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

I have an English walnut tree grown from a nut left behind by a squirrel. Moved it with me from CA to AL two years ago. It was in a large pot, about 25-30 gal, until recently. Reason it was in the pot -- had no permanent place to put it until now. Apparently, at some time last winter it got too cold and the trunk died. Planted it anyway.

From the base, it is now growing about five or six new sprouts. They are about 2 ft tall. Should I cut off the dead trunk? Should I cut off the extra sprouts? What kind of fertilizer for it?

Thanks,

Karen

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I would choose the best shoot and break off the rest. Also you could cut off the dead trunk carefully ....not injuring the keeper shoot. As far as fertilizer goes, I have never fertlized mine in good soil.....a little bit of the right kind could be helpful especially while the tree is small.

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I will grit my teeth and do surgery on the sprouts when they get a little bit bigger so I can see which one will be the strongest.

The soil where the walnut tree is planted is very sandy. I suspect there is very little in nutrient value in it. Right now his roots are probably still in the potting soil.

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.