Rhubarb leaf bird bath

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

more close-by picture;

Thumbnail by bonitin
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

The facade of the art gallery was utterly ugly and uninviting; so with the help of my brother and a friend we gave it a new more warm and inviting look with the same mixture of white cement, yellow sand and white sand.

Thumbnail by bonitin
Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

The building looks lovely and the colour really sets the plants off. You are really clever creating the fountain in your bird bath, I love the sound of moving water in a garden.

Horsens, Denmark

Oh wow how beautiful!!!!
Apparently my birdbath is now keeping the water in. I have not do anything to it.
Very strange.

My rhubarb leaf bird bath is proving quite popular and the little devils have left two cherry stones on the edge while they had a bath today.

Horsens, Denmark

How nice and you did a good job :o))
Something strange has happened to mine.
It could not hold water before, but suddenly it can! And I have not done anything to it.
But I don’t think the birds use it, probably because it is too deep. Maybe putting less water will help :o)

Had you sealed yours with anything? Anyway, glad it is holding water now.

Horsens, Denmark

Nothing at all. And I don´t have any idea why it hold the water.
But good it is keeping it in :o))

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Another reason that the birds don't use it could also be, that they feel its not in a safe place. They like it when it is put in an open area, where they have a good over-all view for potential predators. They also like when there is a higher element like a bush where they first land on, observe if everything is safe and then take there bath or have a drink. Putting the birth- bath on a pilar or high stand also can give them a safer feeling because they have a good view on the surroundings.
Then there is also the fact that birds first have to get used to something new and observe it for quite a while before they start to trust it. That was the case with my latest birthbath. But if it is too deep you could put some pebbles in the deepest middle.

Horsens, Denmark

Yesterday I when´t from hurra to :o(((

Let me start with the hurra part :o)
The was a bird bathing yesterday!!!! I ran for the camera but was to late. Well thinking that they at last were using the birdbath, I gave it a good wash. There was lots of sand at the bottom, that was not visible.

Now the :o(( part
Well it seems as if the sand/mud was keeping the water in. But the good thing is that I found a little hole in the bottom, and will try to mend it today :o)

Myriam I will do as you suggest as well.

It must only be a tiny hole if it had sealed itself up hope you can fix it.

Horsens, Denmark

It is fixed!!!! It was a very tiny hole ;o)))
Now… in about two weeks (after the last exam) a will make one like Myriam´s.
I can hardly wait :o)))

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

Bonitin, thanks for posting the instructions and photos for your lovely Birdbath and Pillar. They are extremely clear, easy to understand. Much appreicated.

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

You're very welcome, bedouin! Glad to be of help!

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I also thank you bonitin for taking the time and effort, I bought a bag of white Portland cement which is more expensive but I am encouraged to make my own too! Trouble is I still haven't got around to getting all the ingredients needed.

I have been wanting a bird bath for a long time, I love yours with the pattern made by Fatsia japonica leaves which I also have, so will use those. I have sourced a piece of chicken wire for the strengthening, no excuse now!

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

thank you, Wallaby!

Wish I could help in the process!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Hello All, I am from Texas, USA and will be spending the Holiday of Thanksgiving in Hampstead, UK. Anybody near there?

So pleased to have found this thread again! Excellent instructions on making the birdbath bonitin. Thanks again, Laurie1 for sending the link.

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Hi bedouin! I see you are in a delicious warm zone, so I imagine it never freezes where you are! You might not need the chicken wire to enforce your birth bath.

But I would advise to prevent the concrete to dry too fast, by keeping it humid for a few days, by spraying it or putting a plastic sheet over it.

Please feel free to ask any details which are not clear yet..
The nice thing about birdbaths is that it is a pleasure as well to the birds as to the observer..

Excellent advice bonitin. The chicken wire would be essential for the birdbath, especially as I'm hoping to make a wide one. Thank you. I hunted extensively for your thread having lost my notes I'd bookmarked last year. So happy to have had Laurie1 (European forums) pass your link to me. A friend recently lost her little bird (old age) so I'm hoping to encourage her to join me in making a birdbath for her so she'll still have little birds visiting her.

Ah, warm climate....more like a hot, hot climate! If things are not done in the early morning or evening, its pretty unbearable to do them at midday! I'm not complaining though, as I'm very happy not to be in cold and snowy conditions!

Yes, the concrete certainly does need 'curing' by keeping it moist! We've recently poured a huge sq footage for an extended garage and despite assiduously keeping the concrete moist, we have many thin cracks across the floor. So annoying!

When I made a birdbath dripper last year, I covered it in water for a week! It's still in excellent condition after a year's use, though the one I bought has a huge crack in it - obviously a very quick 'curing' by the manufacturer. Have you made any more leaf birdbaths or ones similar to the one you posted?

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

That is such a wonderful idea to make a bird bath for your friend bedouin! It certainly will help to cure the pain of her loss and she'll get many feathered friends..

No I haven't made more since that last one I showed the pictures from.

Thumbnail by bonitin

A beautiful photo bonitin.
a blurry photo of an Oriole having a bath

This message was edited Jul 17, 2008 2:19 PM

Thumbnail by bedouin
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

That's lovely Bedouin!

Ah, I meant to post this photo....bluejay and woodpecker sharing the birdbath

Thumbnail by bedouin
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Ah Bedouin, I thought there was something wrong with my eyes, I looked and looked, but couldn't see the second bird, lol!
I see they do enjoy it! I guess the blue-jack is the one with the punky hair-style?

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

I really enjoyed reading this thread. : ) Bonitin, that first picture above, really needs to go in this years photo contest. It is sooooo beautiful. I wish I had that very picture hanging on my wall. : ) That one bird looks like an angel. : )
~Lucy

True! Cheeky, noisy birds! Very active and territorial to the point where they will dive-bomb anyone coming too near their nests! I've certainly had my share of their attention.............squawk, squawk, squawk...dive-bomb... I duck down and retreat hastily, while they turn around for another swipe! Hopefully I'm out of range at that point!!!!!

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Thank you Lucy :-)

Vivid image you picture there Bedouin!
funny, lol! But they should know by now that you mean no harm . on the contrary they should be grateful the rascals with all the care you're giving them!

Kannapolis, NC

Bonitin: I just found this thread and would like to complement you on your originality with the bird bath. I have saved it as one of my favorites so I can give it a go next spring!

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

That makes me ( and your birds!!) happy Thank you Hemophobic!
:-)

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

How about this? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/533171/

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Hi, Buttoneer ! Ah now I understand what Pat meant with the 'Rhubarb-leaf' birdbath, she must have meant your thread, and I thought she had been reading my thread in the Sustainable Alternatives forum where I originally talked about creating bird baths. My very first one I made in 2001 and have given it as a present to my brother, since then I have made many more as it made others enthusiastic as they noticed the success it has with the birds. Right now I'm busy with another one, not very pleasant at the moment with the chilly weather, actually had some hail today, brrrr...

Nice creations you made there!

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Well, the ones we made were for stepping stones in the garden, but if you mound sand underneath it & make it that way, you will have a cupped leaf for the birdbath.

Hi there, No it wasn't that one either. It wasn't a flat leaf, but I really can't remember where I originally saw it. I've made three now and they are much better than my first effort, using finer sand etc following Bonitin's mixture.

The birds love them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.