New here - awesome sight (Oriole question with in)

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

fchisolm your pictures are incredible. Too bad you don't see these guys in their bright yellow. A flock of them in the tree and you think your tree grew yellow flowers.
And the orioles. Nothing like that burst of orange flying by and sitting in the tree. Such beauty. With your eye and talent, they would make incredible pictures.

Marlton, NJ

Yes very nice pic!!

A site I would love to see and photograph. I have searched forums and chatrooms for bird watching and this one seems to be the best.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
I live on the southern edge of their range so I have never seen an oriole

You should get plenty of them going through on passage in spring and autumn! You should also have breeding Orchard Orioles in the area, they breed right down to the Gulf coast in MS. All you need is a reasonable number of mature trees / woodland.

Resin

Annandale, NJ

I put out oranges and grape jelly, but no dice! Seems like once the mulberry and cherries were done the orioles moved on. What a pity I would have loved to have had them around. Are orioles shy? I have the food close to the house. Should I move it further back in the garden? BTW, I discovered a Red Fox den right behind us in a farm field. Managed to video tape the adult and took some really lousy pics of the family. Unfortunately they come out between 8:30-9:00 pm so it is toooooo dark to take decent pics. Still saw them very well using my 10X50 binoculars...what a treat.

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

The orioles we get here are very jumpy, but I have the feeder within 10 feet of a window. As long as there isn't a lot of movement in the house, they visit the feeder quite often. When I'm outside, I can hear them in the surrounding trees, but they won't come to the feeder if I'm close by.

How fun for you to be able to watch the foxes. Most of our critters come out at night, too, so we just hear weird noises sometimes. I'd rather not run into a coyote in the dark, either!

Assonet, MA(Zone 6b)

The orioles here love the oranges and SUET - not the mix type, the suet that you purchase at the meat counter. I usually stop putting suet out in april, but the orioles wanted more. I tried switching to the mix type and they did not eat it, so I've continued with the suet. My catbirds, orioles, woodpeckers and occasional chickadee all enjoy it. I freeze it for them and change it every few days.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.