Meehania cordata as a native ground cover ?

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Does anyone grow this plant, Meehania cordata, in their garden? It is in the mint family so I'm a little leery of it's spreading, but every source I looked up said it was non invasive. It also is said to be a good substitute for the more invasive, non native lamium. It looks like it has pretty flowers also. Mine is still in a pot since I'm not sure how to site it. I'd appreciate any information about this plant.

This message was edited May 15, 2007 6:20 AM

Thumbnail by sempervirens
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Semper, I know fellow DG member Doss is growing this plant. You might want to send her a dmail and get more information.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

sempervirens, I'm a little leery of it's spreading .....and you should be! Even though the information you've found lists it as non-invasive, it is one "aggressive" plant. It is sold as a spreading groundcover and it DOES spread - rapidly!

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

rcn48 and hart
Thanks for the response.

I wanted to use this plant behind a garage with Ferns, Tiarella, Asarum canadense, and Geranium maculatum to hold the soil near a downspot. Since it's near a fence I don't want to add to the invasive ivy already on their side. Nor do I want to have it spread to my native plant garden about 30 ft away since it would swamp all the lovely spring ephemerals.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.