Silybum marianum

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

My Milk Thistle is blooming now and I've already removed a few of the seedpods. I read the information in this forum about saving the seeds, but I'm still a little confused on where to find the seeds. Can anyone help. Thanks.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Where thick armoured gloves! lol

You will find once they have flowered it turns into fluffy fibre, like normal thistles do. If you wait untill this starts to open (but before the stuff falls out) the seeds are at the bottom of the fluff. They look like pale sunflower seeds!

You don't need many as they germinate well.

And remember those gloves.

Mike

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Mike for the info. I think I can find them now. And thanks again for the snapdragons. The germination rate was great and I just finished putting them out a few days ago. I look forward to them. Happy Day

If i'd known you wanted milk thistle seed i'd have sent that too.
The Mg's you sent me are about 6inches tall now except the quamoclit one which i started later.
Just need to keep the slugs of them now.
I had to spend nearly £100 on trellis the other week just to grow them up! lol

Mike

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

I know what you mean. I was just telling a friend that I should go into the trellis building business. Those folks are getting rich quick from those wobbly little things they are selling at the garden centers, and the ones here are really lacking in imagination. I really love vines and I would have them everywhere if I could only find a creative way to support them.

The price of wood has gone up here in the last few months. Something to do with less imports.

Tipped a bottle of slug pellets around last night, that will slow the buggers down.

Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.