can I move a grape vine?

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

I planted a grape vine about two years ago, and I put it in the back yard in an out of the way spot. It has been very slow growing, and dies back in the winter. It is only about 18 or 20 inches tall with the new leaves this year. A few months ago we decided to fence in the back yard, and the 10 foot gate had to go in a convenient place, which is making the grape vine inconvenient. Can I dig up the grape vine and move it or will I lose it if I try to replant it somewhere else?

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Replant should be no problem. Actually it sounds like the grape vine is in a bad place. It shouldn't die back to the ground and 20" high is nothing for a grape vine. Is it getting full sun?

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

I would wait until it was dormant before moving it.

Baltimore, MD

To emphasize what bettydee said, if you try to move it now it will likely die -- move it when it is dormant.

Scott

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

If possible wait but most grape vines are pretty hardy. Only problem is they should have very long roots so if you do replant it now just make sure it get a good amount of water.

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

It is in a place with full sun, and it gets as much water as anything else here in the drought. I usually water it when I dump the old water out of the chicken waterers and replace them with fresh water, so I guess the grapes get more water, more often than anything else. It does sound logical to wait until winter and move it when it is dormant.
Thanks,
Cindy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.