Help!!!

Columbus, OH(Zone 5a)

I posted this in the Pests & Diseases forum, but haven't gotten any answers yet, so I'm hoping all of you fellow hydrangea lovers will be able to help me out!

My hydrangea's leaves have a white substance on them, kind of powdery. Is this a fungus/disease? If it's a fungus, I have a fungicide/insecticide/miticide spray that I've been using on my roses for black spot - should I use this on the hydrangea as well?

One last question... one of my other hydrangea's leaves are getting all brown and dried-like. I've been watering it constantly, and the new leaves that come out look good for a while, then they too turn brown. It's in full sun...but growing up we always had our hydrangeas in full sun and they did fine. I'm not sure what to do! Please help!!!
THANKS!

Cordova, MD

HB-
I'm NO expert on hydrangeas- I'm sure some others will post soon better anwswers-
It sounds like powedery mildew- I do;t know if hydrangeas can get it... I don;t think spraying afungicide would hurt- expecially of it's the type you spray on roses...
I don't think you need to water them so much- how big are your plants??? I'm only guessing that the brown could be from over-watering.
You may want to check out some of the excellant links that Louisa has posted on hydrangeas. They may give you more info as to your problem.
_JSS

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Here is another site I looked up for you. Hope it helps!

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/perennials/8146

Temple, GA(Zone 7b)

I have a problem too! I'm in Zone 7 and my Hydrangeas are planted in red georgia clay. I have 4 pink, 3 red, 3 white and 3 Nikko Blue. I ordered these from a place called Spring Hill. They came bareroot and I've had them since spring. All of them are doing great, except the pink one's. One the leaves are an autumn red,(but not falling off) and another one has black spots and the leaves are falling off. Could someone help me too. Is there anything I can get that is especially for Hydrangeas or should I get what HB is talking about for roses? Someone HELP US NEWBIES!!!! Please!!!
Thanks, TraciS

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Hydrangea diseases - I have just answered my own earlier query also. I should have done more research first but here you are folks - I hope this helps you :-

However I might add that I am not posting this link and advocating chemical applications - I don't use chemicals myself and I would rather have a sick plant and find some other way of dealing with the problem rather than resort to chemicals. We should perhaps all take a look at the organic forum for ways to combat these diseases.

http://www.cas.psu.edu/docs/CASDEPT/PLANT/ext/hydrange.html

This message was edited Sunday, Aug 26th 9:25 PM

Found another link on baking soda - I like this one!!

Baking Soda

Add 1 Tbsp. baking soda to a gallon of water. When the baking soda has dissolved, add ¼ to ½ tsp. of liquid soap. Shake well.

Diseases Controlled
Powdery mildew; black spot

How Often to Apply
Weekly

Precautions
Detergent can cause plant damage; concentrations greater than 1 Tbsp./gallon may be toxic to roses; baking soda can accumulate in soil.

This message was edited Sunday, Aug 26th 10:20 PM

Hello everyone'We had over 6in of rain
this past week,too much'My Sister Teresa
(8in.tall)started turning a very light
green'We also have "clay soil"here'Today,
it was dry enough to mow and she's back to
normal with dark green leaves'TraciS,I've
ordered from Spring Hill for many years,
and always received great plants'I have
learned through the years though,that
putting mulch around plants,saves a mul-
titude of problems' Your clay could be
holding too much water,too' Wish I knew
more about these plants but I'm learning
like you too' Good Luck' Sis'

Towanda, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi. I bought and planted 4 gallon and 3 gallon Nikko Blue this past season. I'm in zone 5. My plants are experiencing the same things (not powdery mildew). My neighbors hydrangeas look the same. It is the excessive heat and hot sun that is harming the poor babies. This is called leaf scorch or leaf burn. The root systems are not yet established and the heat has placed great stress on the plants. The weather has cooled a bit and my nikko's are looking much better, with the exception of the black spot. Tough it out, protect them over the winter with mulch and wait till next year! I'm sure they'll fair much better.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I have just erected a rough burlap tent over my new hydrangeas and hope this will ease the force of the sun. I noticed that two weigelias, also newly planted, are doing the same thing. We don't normally get temps over 100 here and this is causing much grief to my plants. Thank goodness it has cooled down to about 90 and promises to get cooler. Any more of this heat and I will start to curl up at the edges :-)

Hey growin6,welcome to DG from the Sunflower State'Sis'

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

How remiss of me not to notice your registration date growin6!!!! Welcome to DG - and become obsessed like the rest of us...lol!! Thanks Sis for that post and prod :-)

You're very welcome Louisa'

Another organis powdery mildew concoction that works as good as the baking soda routine is to mix skim milk with an equal amount of water & spray the leaves with that 3 days in a row. Works good. A word of caution about Spring Hill: they don't have a very good reputation for sending out quality plants & have been known to exaggerate in their pitches. Their Kobella Hydrangeas aren't REALLY hardy in zone 5, for instance (They call them "Kaleidoscope Hydrangeas"). They may not totally be KILLED by winter, but they bloom on old wood (set their flower buds the year before), & 90% of our winters all of the FLOWER buds get winter-killed & so it'll be rare to ever see a bloom on them. A more reputable firm would divulge that stuff. I am always skeptical of firms that don't give the Latin names for further research, too. Saying that, I HAVE purchased from them with some success. But they're obviously targeting gardening newbies or they'd be more technical.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.