propagating summer annual cuttings?

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

Right now I have some very pretty petunias, vinca, angelonia, coleus, snapdragons, and dwarf dianthus. I would like to take cuttings from some of these to root in perlite, vermiculite, or water. Can anyone give me any suggestions of these?

Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 10a)

I rooted some angelonia, vinca and million bells petunia a few weeks ago. I took 3" cuttings, dipped in rootone, put in vermiculite, and put in a plastic bag. They rooted pretty quickly, in maybe 1, 1 1/2 weeks.

I'll be interested to see what advice you get for the snaps.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Missy I didn't know you could root million bells petunias, Thanks for the info.

I do coleus, they are really easy .

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Missy, I didn't either (on the million bells). The books always say to take a non-blooming stalk, but all the plants seem to have flowers on the end. What do you do with the flowers?

Gloria, All the plants you mentioned are supposed to root -- well, I'm not sure on the snaps, but all the other ones. I use a milk jug because I have so many, and put a clear deli container over it (with the cuttings inside) to keep the humidity in, but give it enough head room. I put it in some bright shade I have. I use regular ole potting soil. (Actually what I do is use a milk jug from wintersowing that never germinated, but that is "dirty: potting soil, so I probably shouldn't recommend you do that.)

One of these days I'm going to try vermiculite. I have used perlite, but if you accidentally hit the container with the hose, or ever water fromthe hose, the perlite goes flying. It is sooo white, it pretty much looks like trash in your yard until you put the blower on it to get it into the back 40. LOL

Suzy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.