Rain Garden design

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Anyone make a rain garden that could give me some "lessons learned" or tips?

I want to turn this area into a rain garden. Had a french drain put in last fall and yet already this spring have had a "pond" of water from spring rains.

I've done some research and have lots of good articles and a pretty good idea of what I want to do, but am interested to see if any DG'ers have personal experience that might impart some wisdom before I start the project.

This photo is from last week which really was a 15-yr type flood for the KC area. It's not typically this bad. Usually just a 10-12 ft diameter pool about 2-3 inches deep in the spring and sometimes in late fall. Where it is pooling is the lowest spot int he yard with the back property sloping towards this. A french drain is right under this spot but I also had them tie in my downspouts from the roof to this drain so during unusual rain this is what happens.

Thumbnail by langbr
This thread has 19 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!