blanket flower let me see yours

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

I like this pic my hubby captured the other day.

Thumbnail by Theresa
Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

Here's what people see when they drive up to my house. Part of the front entrance/porch.

Thumbnail by Theresa
South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Nice pictures, Theresa...pretty flowers. : )
~Lucy

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

I love them. I've tried a couple of time to grow them but, my soil is clay & they have died the first season I planted them, is that the problem.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

dlefferts, try amending the clay in your planting holes. The soil I grow mine in is clay too. I do add each planting hole with cow manure compost (the cheap bags at Walmart) and mini pine nuggets. That seems to help especially with it drawing in the earth worms.

Deborah

(Jana) Shoreline, WA(Zone 8a)

The bees love them!

Thumbnail by colliwobbles
Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

awesome pic colliwobbles.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Nice closeup!

Thornton, IL

Mine are dying in the heat, no rain for weeks. I have been stingy with watering them, and I don't think I amended the (clay) soil as good as I should have. Maybe next year, third time's a charm! :-(

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I have watered mine, mainly because they are close to the A/C exhaust. They have slowed down a lot though.
Asters will take over the show from here.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

That's a very colorful picture, BCA. : ) Nice!
~Lucy

Thornton, IL

Very nice color combo, I will try one more time, next year.

(Zone 7a)

I love my blanket flowers. I just collected seeds yesterday to give away.

Kwanjin

Thumbnail by kwanjin

I agree...love them for dependable blooms, but I will make sure that I won't have this gaudy neon color combo next year! Taught me that you can't believe everything on a plant marker from the big stores, when the impatiens aren't blooming yet!! ;0)

Thumbnail by
(Zone 7a)

Wow. That's bright.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I am amazed at how prolific these flowers are. The blanketflowers have taken over a large section of my garden, but I'm not complaining. It is almost October, and they still look great!

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Apparently the blanket flowers do great by winter sowing, is that right? Just scatter the seeds and they bloom the following summer?

kathy

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I would think so. I just let mine reseed themselves and they drop them in the fall.

Shitzu~ I W/S'ed mine and they jubiliantly bloomed in early Summer and are still blooming strong. Check out the wintersowing forum for techniques and encouragement! ;0)

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Great thanks - and you know, I've been here since 2003 and never knew about the wintersowing forum.

Thanks

You're welcome! Lots of great gardening friends in that forum, very encouraging, friendly and helpful. Sooo.. check it out and ask questions as needed. There's even a Fall swap in the works, loads of fun and beautiful blooms awaits you!

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

You guys should check out Round Robin - I'm hosting an ornament secret trade where you pick your theme and we exchange - secretly.

kathy

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Gaillardia

Thumbnail by jmorth

Very nice J!

BigCityAl - whate are the blue and hot pink plants you have growng next to each other? I like the combo and are they perrenials??

rebecca30

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7b)

does anyone know where one can find gaillardia 'Yellow Queen'? I've decided I am going to have to have one next spring, but I can't find any vendors that offer plants. I've found some seeds for sale, but I am notoriously bad at getting them to survive...

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Helenium view down the border..............

Thumbnail by Mr_Crocosmia
Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

I got one seedling from Fanfare but it didn't bloom this year I had to move it a couple of times Goblin kind of tried to take it over lol I'm just wondering if anyone has sown the Fanfare from seed collected and if they come true? It's such a pretty flower and I have really enjoyed seeing these pictures, I'm trying the golden goblin and burgundy from seed, guess I will WS. Wish Ihad more seed to the Fanfare.
Lea

Coolidge, GA(Zone 8a)

I've become more and more of a fan of gaillardia. I've had what I think is Indian Blanket for several years. I can't say that its spread. Should the seeds be creating more plants just from falling onto the soil? Do they reseed that easily? If I collect flower heads and sow seeds directly into the soil in the spring am I likely to get plants? This past spring I found "Orange & Lemons". It performed beautifully in our drought conditions of summer and contrasted nicely with my purple cone plants and daylilies. I definately want to have more next year.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Mine spread like weeds just by what drops onto the soil. I even have a lot of birds that I see eating the seeds. I don't clean up the beds much until Spring and that leaves a lot more seeds I guess. We are in drought conditions all the time and it is partly why I grow blanketflower. Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.